HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:48 AM

Delta to resume nonstop PDX-Los Angeles service

4x daily service starting September 3, 2013.

Available for sale at Delta.com

Alaska: 6x daily PDX-LAX
Virgin America: 2x daily PDX-LAX
United: 3x daily PDX-LAX
Delta: 4x daily PDX-LAX

This will make the PDX-LAX 15 daily nonstops!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 3:01 AM

So I'm sitting at the cell phone lot right now and I just watched a Qatar Airways A340 (I think...might've been a 777) take off. Super random but really cool. I wonder what the occasion was.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
So I'm sitting at the cell phone lot right now and I just watched a Qatar Airways A340 (I think...might've been a 777) take off. Super random but really cool. I wonder what the occasion was.
If it was a 777 it was probably in Boeing's paint shop at PDX. 777s have two engines and A340s have four engines, if that helps you identify it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 9:18 AM

I honestly don't remember. I just happen to catch the giant QATAR on the side as it took off into the sun!

The paint facility would make sense though.

My girlfriend said there were a bunch of cops in the terminal guarding a bunch of "biker looking dudes with leather vests holding American flags" when I picked her up. I wonder what that was all about!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:22 AM

likely a 777-300ER after being painted.

Not 'common' but happens a lot at PDX. Really spices things up compared to the normal 737/a320 parade we have!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 AM

PDX has the 60th most expensive airfares out of the top 100 US airports (or 40th least expensive, whichever you prefer.)

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/airfares.../table_10.html

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:29 PM

Alaska Starting Nonstops from Portland to Reno and Tucson

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...627_045255.asp

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines will inaugurate daily service between Seattle and Colorado Springs, Colo., starting Nov. 1, and between Seattle and Omaha, Neb., starting Nov. 7. The carrier will also add nonstop flights between Portland, Ore., and Tucson, Ariz., starting Nov. 1, and between Portland and Reno, Nev., starting on Nov. 8, 2013.

"Alaska Airlines is thrilled to give our customers access to four great destinations from our Seattle and Portland hubs, including daily service to our newest destinations of Colorado Springs and Omaha," said Joe Sprague, Alaska Airlines' vice president of marketing. "This new service provides convenient flight options for both business and leisure travelers, and further strengthens our growing network."

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 PM

Man, every time I see this thread bumped I'm hoping to just see a new route to Paris on Delta, no higher aspirations than that. Meanwhile Seattle has two daily flights to AMS, summer daily service to Munich, direct service to Osaka/Seoul/Beijing/Dubai/etc, Lufthansa/BA flights to Frankfurt and London... sheesh. Reykjavik. I guess I should feel lucky that we have what we have, but the contrast is so painfully stark with both of our Cascadian neighbors to the north.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Man, every time I see this thread bumped I'm hoping to just see a new route to Paris on Delta, no higher aspirations than that. Meanwhile Seattle has two daily flights to AMS, summer daily service to Munich, direct service to Osaka/Seoul/Beijing/Dubai/etc, Lufthansa/BA flights to Frankfurt and London... sheesh. Reykjavik. I guess I should feel lucky that we have what we have, but the contrast is so painfully stark with both of our Cascadian neighbors to the north.

Give it a couple years, I'm sure we will see a return of a few European flights in the future when the economy recovers.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
same here, only forget cdg, give me hkg or bkk!!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 1:39 AM
PearlHelp.com

You could always take the Boltbus to Seattle

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 3:10 PM

Still counting our blessing to have both NRT and AMS. We are the smallest city in the country to have Europe AND Asia.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
For the size of the metro area we should be glad that we even have direct flights to anywhere in Europe or Asia. Not many cities the size of Portland can manage both, plus we have direct flights to Hawaii and Canada as well.

I'd like to see a direct flight to Mexico or Brazil. With the business relationships that seem to be developing with Nike and Intel in Brazil I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we have direct flights to South America.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
same here, only forget cdg, give me hkg or bkk!!
Calm down! There is no service to HKG & BKK. They doesn't have a direct flight. Only NRT flight. DL has flew it for the years.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Calm down! There is no service to HKG & BKK. They doesn't have a direct flight. Only NRT flight. DL has flew it for the years.
I think it was pretty clear that I was saying that I WISH we had those services.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 12:55 AM

According to Wikipedia, Virgin America is already ending their PDX-LAX service.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:17 AM

^I was at a meeting last week and one of the flight recruiting managers for PDX was there and said that there was going to be new twice daily flights to LAX through United, I believe.

She also mentioned that while the flights to AMS and NRT were secure, they continue to focus on increasing the number of seats sold, and aren't actively recruiting any additional international service. However they are actively recruiting additional cross country flights including a new Alaska nonstop to Atlanta.

The ticket lobby will also be substantially renovated by 2015, opening up the retail mall into the ticket lobby.

PDX is also expected to host 15.5 million travelers this year, an all time record and over a million more people than last year.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Totally agree, it would be nice to have comparable service -- but Seattle's the largest market in the Northwest. And Vancouver serves as Canada's western gateway. So there we have it. PDX will attract more long-range service (we recently 'stole' one of SEA's Alaska Airlines/Atlanta routes I believe) and as others have pointed out we are the smallest U.S. market with both European and Asian nonstops. Economy keeps recovering, population keeps growing...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
According to Wikipedia, Virgin America is already ending their PDX-LAX service.
That is so dissappointing! They have a GREAT product. I loved flying them, hope they keep SFO, but it is only once a day.

Delta is starting multiple flights a day to LAX this fall, that probably didn't help Virgin.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
That is so dissappointing! They have a GREAT product. I loved flying them, hope they keep SFO, but it is only once a day.
Yeah, my girlfriend flies to LA a lot and she was super bummed. Not a good sign for PDX if Virgin quits us entirely.

Wow, I just realized that Vancouver even has direct passenger service to Manila:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/PAL116

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure