HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 4:47 PM

That Lane project should really bring some activity to that part of town.

Could this proposed phase of the Gateway project be that building that was planned to be built over the tracks? I havent been to Gateway in awhile and so I havent really seen what they built recently.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:33 AM

I love the old building in the Lane project. Very cool that they are incorporating that.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Could this proposed phase of the Gateway project be that building that was planned to be built over the tracks? I havent been to Gateway in awhile and so I havent really seen what they built recently.
no, these two projects are just barely north of burnside - about 5 blocks south of the transit center. i think the over-the-tracks project isn't supposed to happen for many years.

i haven't been to gateway in forever either. did they ever build "the elements"?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:55 PM

^nope...they just completed a rather bland low rise medical office building that can be expanded to more than double it's height in the future. I think the Design Review Agenda that was posted by der Reisender is for the first phase of the Elements development.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 2:27 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Backbridge Station [NE Fremont]

Backbridge Lofts [NE Fremont]

Fremont Lofts [NE Mississippi & Fremont]

Williams Five [NE Williams]

Grabbed these renderings from http://kaisergroupinc.com/present.projects.html - I have no idea how likely they are (to be built) or at what status they are at.

Last edited by zilfondel; Jan 23, 2007 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 3:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Backbridge projects and the Fremont Lofts (of which the Grand Central Bakery bldg was phase 1) are on hold. Williams Five is the only one with a projected completion date anymore.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 3:52 AM

this is weird but i remember seeing something like this in an episode of the brady bunch. in mr brady's office. he was an architect. very 70's inspired.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 4:49 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ lol. Were you aware that Modernism has been around for over 100 years now?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:40 AM

I kinda think the backbridge lofts looks like a 1950s southern california motel or "dingbat" apartment building

this new project by waterleaf without a doubt looks straight out of the 1970s:
http://www.vistahillsvineyard.com/winecellar.htm
http://www.waterleaf-ai.com/ ->the work -> on the boards -> vista hills

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaby View Post
this is weird but i remember seeing something like this in an episode of the brady bunch. in mr brady's office. he was an architect. very 70's inspired.
Yeah, I feel the same way some times. I like some of these designs, but still kind of wonder if people will look back in 20 or 30 years and ask "what were they thinking?"

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 9:10 AM

exactly

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

You should take a look at the new Living Room theater, or the Doug Fir to get an idea of what reborn-minimalist modernism looks like. Pick up a copy of Dwell, or Arch Record - Modernism is very alive and is all over the world. Portland just happens to be extremely backwater in regards to Architecture. Perhaps it was founded 30 years ago by people who hate Modernism?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 6:45 AM
inside + out

I see the Brady Bunch connection also. But I do like some modernism designs. The Living Room theater is a good example, and even the Eliott Tower is, I think. The glassed in lobby is terrific IMO. And it goes real well with the modern reno of the art museum's Masonic Lodge addition (who would have thought THAT would turn out so great!!!???).

The modernism and minimalism movement is alive and well all over. But sometimes I think (just my opinion) that it goes a bit too far, and appears cold. It just doesn't seem warm and fuzzy to cuddle up to a nauga-hide modern chair with metal legs. Yeah, I know, that's furniture, but you even see one of those chairs in one of the renderings, and people who are trying for the modernist minamalist look go for that. Guess that's OK for them, but I wonder if 10 years from now people will feel like they're living in a Dr's Office kind of space.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 7:07 AM

Yes 10 years from now we are going to say "what were we thinking". It is just 70's knockoffs, with bamboo added and presto now it is a zen building. It is funny that the things we are building today is the exact same style we wish were never build and are screaming for it to be torn down.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 7:26 AM
inside + out

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy View Post
Yes 10 years from now we are going to say "what were we thinking". It is just 70's knockoffs, with bamboo added and presto now it is a zen building. It is funny that the things we are building today is the exact same style we wish were never build and are screaming for it to be torn down.
Exactly. And wait until they start to age ! Even the bamboo won't look so hot then.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
You should take a look at the new Living Room theater, or the Doug Fir to get an idea of what reborn-minimalist modernism looks like. Pick up a copy of Dwell, or Arch Record - Modernism is very alive and is all over the world. Portland just happens to be extremely backwater in regards to Architecture. Perhaps it was founded 30 years ago by people who hate Modernism?
All you have to do is watch movies, sit-coms or commercials to see what "style" is hot now. 90% of the sets are in modern or mid-century spaces. Go watch an movie from the 90's, very little modernism, mostly craftsman and colonial houses (Home alone, Father of the bride, Rosanne, Everybody loves Raymond, etc) . Go back to the early 80's and you'll see victorians (Cosby show, Facts of Life).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:26 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
All you have to do is watch movies, sit-coms or commercials to see what "style" is hot now. 90% of the sets are in modern or mid-century spaces. Go watch an movie from the 90's, very little modernism, mostly craftsman and colonial houses (Home alone, Father of the bride, Rosanne, Everybody loves Raymond, etc) . Go back to the early 80's and you'll see victorians (Cosby show, Facts of Life).
I don't watch movies, and I don't own a TV. Call me old-fashioned then.

However, you forgot "Full House," which was set in a San Fran neighborhood. With kids, no less! My how the times have changed...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well designed mixed use

Condo to Replace Hungry Tiger

Mike Thelin
Willamette Week

A four-story condominium will anchor the corner of Southeast 28th Avenue and Burnside Street with 32 homes and 6,000 square feet of retail space in an increasingly popular neighborhood where housing and retail are in short demand.

The proposed SunRose Condominiums were the subject of the Kerns Neighborhood Association meeting Wednesday night. The project was generally received favorably by the association members and neighborhood residents who attended.

The project involves the teardown of an existing two-story building that houses the Hungry Tiger restaurant, as well as an adjacent one-story building that’s currently vacant. The project developers include the Wong family, owner of the property and the Hungry Tiger, and Portland developer Randy Rapaport. The restaurant will close its doors this weekend, but according to developers, will reopen in another incarnation once the project is completed in Summer 2008. The family has already opened a second restaurant, The Hungry Tiger 2, on Southeast 12th Avenue.

Designed by Portland’s nationally celebrated Holst Architecture, the building’s 32 units will range approximately 750 to 1200 square feet, with asking prices starting below $300,000, according to Rapaport. Features will include a hardwood exterior with protruding stucco balconies and concealed parking.

Another Holst-designed Rapaport project, The Belmont Lofts, was featured in the January edition of Dwell magazine. The firm’s current works include mixed-used, high-density housing and retail in close-in Southeast Portland, North Mississippi and a 16-story tower in the Pearl District. Holst’s Ecotrust Building in the Pearl District includes the first ecoroof in the city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:31 AM

didn't know that one was in the works, look forward to seeing a better rendering of it down the road

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:20 PM

LRS ARCHITECTS

LRS is designing a two-building affordable housing project on the site of a former on-ramp in Northeast Portland for Innovative Housing Inc.

The NE 82nd and Broadway Affordable Housing project will include 47 apartments and a day-care center in one building and 11 units over a parking garage in the other. The site at the intersection of Northeast 82nd Avenue and Broadway is triangular, severely sloped and bound by streets on three sides.

Site and architectural solutions led to funding from the Portland Development Commission.

The firm is providing all planning, architectural design and construction administration for the project. The LRS project team is Dan Edwards, Shawn Homberg and Julie Paulson. Walsh Construction, BK Engineers and WRG Design are additional project consultants.

The project is scheduled to be completed by summer of 2008.
http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...28792&userID=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland