HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:43 PM
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroTech View Post
Woah! So exciting seeing all the new developments in Goose Hollow.
I know! It's so exciting to have recently moved into this neighborhood (long-time Oregonian) and see all this construction and development. Especially in the absence of the typical urban buzz.
Personally, I see so much potential for the vitality of the neighborhood in these new developments (especially the Press Blocks and Art Tower project). It feels to me like the bones of the NW community have laid a perfect foundation for the kind of urban appeal that will sustain big projects like these. The walkability of the area is some of the best that Portland can offer in my opinion, and that's gold worth mining.
I just have to hope that street-level design is progressive enough to avoid some of the pitfalls of other parts of downtown (including awful parking garages).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:34 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Hollow View Post
I know! It's so exciting to have recently moved into this neighborhood (long-time Oregonian) and see all this construction and development. Especially in the absence of the typical urban buzz.
Personally, I see so much potential for the vitality of the neighborhood in these new developments (especially the Press Blocks and Art Tower project). It feels to me like the bones of the NW community have laid a perfect foundation for the kind of urban appeal that will sustain big projects like these. The walkability of the area is some of the best that Portland can offer in my opinion, and that's gold worth mining.
I just have to hope that street-level design is progressive enough to avoid some of the pitfalls of other parts of downtown (including awful parking garages).
Those awful garages are remnants of the past before central city zoning and the Design Commission emphasized active ground floors as absolutely necessary to maintain good urban design.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 12:36 AM
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Those awful garages are remnants of the past before central city zoning and the Design Commission emphasized active ground floors as absolutely necessary to maintain good urban design.
Well thank goodness we've moved on from those days!

New picture from the Lincoln School project with the adjacent mixed-use development in the right-side background:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:39 PM

Another photo update on the progress at Lincoln High school and the surrounding area.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Is that from a drone? Thanks for the photo.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Is that from a drone? Thanks for the photo.
It's not my photo, so I'm not sure, but that's what I suspect.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:46 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
It's not my photo, so I'm not sure, but that's what I suspect.
I took my almost 2-year-old son on the max to Goose Hollow this past week. I used to live over on the West End in 2015/2016 and would take the King's Hill station to work in Hillsboro. Can't believe how much is going on in that neighborhood. If I had to bet, it's going to be a very vibrant neighborhood someday. I hope they get lots of restaurants after the pandemic is over. It's an easy place to get to from the west side suburbs (where I live).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 1:54 AM

Looks like 1440 sw Taylor has broken ground.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 12:37 AM

Does anyone know what's going on with these blocks? Last review on 911 SW 15th is 4/8/20 and 930 has sat in Approve to Issue since 12/31/19. While I'm at it, what's the grace period for approved permits?

930 SW 15th Ave
Quote:
NEW 7 STORY, 107 UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING WITH ONSITE PARKING, INCLUDES ASSOCIATED SITEWORK. USES TYPE III CONSTRUCTION CODE GUIDE EXCEPT AERIAL ACCESS PER CONDITION 11 AND SACRIFICIAL STUD REQUIREMENTS OF CONDITION 17. *** W/18-169035-MT PERMIT ***
911 SW 15th Ave
Quote:
New construction 7-story apartment building. 5-story Type IIIA residential building over a 2-story Type 1A podium. The building contains 105 residential units and amenity spaces. The Podium level structure has parking for 19 cars, 2 loading spaces 71 bicycle parking spaces, a leasing office, a small retail tenant shell space and apartments.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:34 AM

^^^ Both projects on hold.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:12 PM

[QUOTE=pdxsg34;9218968]Does anyone know what's going on with these blocks? Last review on 911 SW 15th is 4/8/20 and 930 has sat in Approve to Issue since 12/31/19. While I'm at it, what's the grace period for approved permits?

6 months, but you can request extensions.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
^^^ Both projects on hold.
930 SW 15th is under construction (see my post from December, the property is the same as 1440 SW Taylor.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 9:35 PM
BANNED

How about they start on the 23 story press block tower

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 6:44 PM

Your original post piqued my interest, so I contacted the architect who confirmed both projects are on hold. Looks like 1440 is currently used as a staging area for construction materials on other local projects.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Your original post piqued my interest, so I contacted the architect who confirmed both projects are on hold. Looks like 1440 is currently used as a staging area for construction materials on other local projects.
Ah, too bad. That part of Goose Hollow seemed to be taking off until the pandemic hit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 9:15 PM

I agree about the potential growth for Goose Hollow. There are nearly 2000 residential units planned, approved, or recently constructed -- this for a neighborhood with 5000-6000 people.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:46 AM
A before E

Quote:
I agree about the potential growth for Goose Hollow. There are nearly 2000 residential units planned, approved, or recently constructed -- this for a neighborhood with 5000-6000 people.
It is one of Portland's densest neighborhoods.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 9:53 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
...a neighborhood with 5000-6000 people.
Five to six thousand? You're kidding, right?
Goose Hollow's population was listed at nearly 5,000 thirty years ago, which was probably a low estimate back then.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Five to six thousand? You're kidding, right?
Goose Hollow's population was listed at nearly 5,000 thirty years ago, which was probably a low estimate back then.
You're probably right. It's now more likely between 7000-8000 (population was 5500 in 2000 and 6500 in 2010 [link]), but we'll have to wait a bit until the 2020 census report is out. I stand by my point, however, that there is the potential for a substantial % increase of residential population in the neighborhood based on the number of approved or planned projects.

Some other old but useful demographic info (not yet updated to 2020):
--income
--food stamps
--subsidized housing

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 10:03 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I stand by my point, however, that there is the potential for a substantial % increase of residential population in the neighborhood based on the number of approved or planned projects.
Absolutely.

Goose Hollow is the most dense neighborhood in Portland, and it's going to get even more dense in the coming decade. It's a great neighborhood that's going to get even better as dead spots fill in. I'm especially excited to see the old Oregonian bunkers destroyed and redeveloped.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland