HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
So very tired...

Bottom line: If you are interested in photography, and want to learn and develop your skills, get a DSLR. If you just want to take some work related pictures and a random snap here and there, save your money, and get a point and shoot.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 7:01 AM

^ I'm tired of this DSLR = serious photography idea (alternatively, "if you're interested in photography, you must get a DSLR"). There are other ways, they just don't seem to be that common on SSP. The old concept of "the best camera is the one you have with you" really applies. I've looked at books with professional photographers using point and shoots (along with DSLRs, etc.).

For something of better image quality, there is always the Fuji X system. X10 is $600, X100 (the instant favourite in the photography community) is $1200, and the X-Pro1 is $1700. Canadian prices, so should be less for Americans. X10 and X100 do not have interchangeable lenses, but have very fine lenses anyways.

There's also Ricoh's digital cameras, such as the Ricoh GRIV and GXR. The GXR is a very interesting system because there are no fixed specs. With each lens you purchase, you get an entire new back for the camera, similar to medium format cameras (without the price tag of one).

The Olympus Pen cameras are also exceptional and like the XPro-1 and GXR, do have interchangeable lenses. These guys were the pioneers of Micro 4/3rds in its modern iteration.

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Panasonic GF1 and Nikon 1 System. Canon is also coming out with a compact system camera, not sure if it is Micro 4/3rds.

Also, I know these are not what the OP is looking for, but just to show even more non DSLR, but still serious cameras do exist...

Leica M8 and M9 digital rangefinders, expensive as fuck, but still serious.

Hasselblad and Mamiya medium format SLRs. I'm not just meaning some old wedding photographer's 500c/m, there are digital sorts as well (which make the Leica seem like a bargain). These here are (along with Large Format, which do not have a digital equivalent, sorry) really the pinnacle of "serious, interested in photography" cameras. Not Canikons.

Anything film. 35mm SLRs, rangefinders, advanced point and shoots, TLRs, large format, medium format. This is what all the great architectural, street, and anything urban photographers of yesterday used.

By the way, I'm not picking on your post, bulliver, this is just a common perception I find, nothing specific to you.

That being said, DSLRs are a good choice, my post is just to prove that they aren't the only choice out there. They do offer good image quality (although if you are used to point and shoots, it is common to find a drop in image quality at first which improves as you glide up the learning curve) and numerous lens choices. Canon and Nikon are the most popular and have exceptional lenses and accessories, but just to lay out all the cards, they aren't the only choice. Great stuff has also come out of Sony, Pentax, and Olympus's boardrooms.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
For something of better image quality, there is always the Fuji X system. X10 is $600, X100 (the instant favourite in the photography community) is $1200, and the X-Pro1 is $1700. Canadian prices, so should be less for Americans. X10 and X100 do not have interchangeable lenses, but have very fine lenses anyways.
I really do recommend these. I've heard nothing but good things about the X100, and the X Pro1 is the X100 with interchangeable lenses. For someone wanting a smaller camera, this is what I would recommend.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 9:06 AM

Jesus,nobody is forcing him to get a dlsr and I have never heard people here ever stating that dslrs are a must for serious photography.Sorry UE but it looks like your own personal hangup and something you need to get over.I think most people here have normal jobs and do photography in their spare time.@Austinlee...I would recommend a dslr simply because I have one and know fuckall about any other camera really.You may need it for work and for some urban shots but who knows you could get more into it in the long term.You also have forum here that can help you with any questions you may have.I got a nikon 3years ago with help from people here and asked my first questions about photography.It really helps when people have similar cameras and theres so much secondhand stuff on the net.When Im out and about with my "serious"dslr I use a 18mm-200mm lens 90% of the time...its great...all you need to carry around.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 6:16 PM

Umm, excuse me? What personal hang ups might that be, because you seem to know something about myself that I don't? What personal hang ups might I have from suggestion something other than DSLRs? I think you need to calm down a bit, there was nothing harsh or over the top about my post.

Yes, DSLRs are great, if you read my last post, I already mentioned that. The whole point was to show there are other options. Often people just go straight for the DSLR because it is a "serious-looking" camera and many people (particularly the gear-centric, not really anyone on this forum that I can recall) do think less of those who take photos with a mere Canon point and shoot or Micro 4/3rds.

Near everybody on this thread has recommended DSLRs, the point of my post was to give other options that may or may not work better due to cost, size, etc.

Extracting from bulliver's post:
Quote:
Bottom line: If you are interested in photography, and want to learn and develop your skills, get a DSLR.
That isn't exactly, "DSLRs are for serious photography" but it carries a very similar message. If you are interested in photography, learn and develop your skills, DSLRs are but one, albeit very popular, way to do it. Any camera with manual settings and decent image quality will allow yyou to learn and develop skills, really. Interchangeable lenses are also a nice touch and are not exclusive to DSLRs.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:17 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Does this work for ugly guys too? i mean, a friend who isn't me asked that question. Just curious.
Seems to work for PhotoLith too. I did teach him the way though.

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography