HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:50 AM

Ok, I have to admit a basis, since I'm originally from Portland, but I fly almost every week and see a lot of airports. PDX rocks! A perfect combination of easy to use, great services (stores, food) and visually stunning. Burbank; easy to use, almost no services, looks like crap. San Jose, ditto, though the new expansion should help a great deal. LAX, no, no, no. SFO, nice with good services, but a pain in the a**. Oakland, getting much, much better with the recent remodel, expansion, but in a butt-ugly neighborhood, and you have to take a $3.00 bus to BART and then pay another $3.35 to get to downtown San Francisco.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 10:22 PM

No way, it doesn't compare with the water around Vancouver's airport - no glory man, no glory sorry, bad joke

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 11:16 PM

I know you're kidding but what Vancouver are you referring?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:59 AM

I remember flying back from Burbank a few months ago, and while that is definitely not much of an airport to compare (with ANY airport...) I was just that much more impressed with PDX's beautiful architecture, artwork and sense of place. They really do a agreat job of capturing the feel of Portland/the Northwest in the terminal, and it's just that much cooler that you can hop on MAX into the city.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Ok, I have to admit a basis, since I'm originally from Portland, but I fly almost every week and see a lot of airports. PDX rocks! A perfect combination of easy to use, great services (stores, food) and visually stunning. Burbank; easy to use, almost no services, looks like crap. San Jose, ditto, though the new expansion should help a great deal. LAX, no, no, no. SFO, nice with good services, but a pain in the a**. Oakland, getting much, much better with the recent remodel, expansion, but in a butt-ugly neighborhood, and you have to take a $3.00 bus to BART and then pay another $3.35 to get to downtown San Francisco.
How does Reagan National compare? It has a direct link (at least at the newer terminal) to Metrorail.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 3:49 PM
Cascadia Rising

I would have to agree; PDX is such a nice airport and I like that there are decent dining options pre-security if you want to hang out with people before you head to your gate. That, and the glass cover between the parking garage and terminal is very cool. I think SeaTac is making huge strides; its is one of my faves too. LAX is ghetto, SFO and Orange County are nice, McCarran is right up there on my favorites list too. Oh, and speaking of Burbank, the tiny Bob Hope airport is actually one of the best in my opinion for convenience- I used to fly into that airport when my parents were living in the Toluca Lake area of LA and there's almost no wait for security and its so easy to find everything being such a small terminal.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 5:16 PM
Well designed mixed use

Plus, the number of direct flight options has increased dramatically in the last five years. I remember when flying to New York meant a shuttle flight to Seattle or San Francisco, and the direct options to Germany and Tokyo have been great for business. If only PDX could lure back the Korean airlines that left after the customs debacle in the late nineties.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Plus, the number of direct flight options has increased dramatically in the last five years. I remember when flying to New York meant a shuttle flight to Seattle or San Francisco, and the direct options to Germany and Tokyo have been great for business. If only PDX could lure back the Korean airlines that left after the customs debacle in the late nineties.
You are so right about the direct flights. I've been tracking flights out of PDX for 30 years and remember when "international" meant one daily flight to Vancouver. And Chicago was as far east as any non-stop went. Now we have Boston, NYC, Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit, Orlando, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc. Still need a Miami flight. American service to PDX is minor so it seems unlikely that we'll see a flight to their Miami hub any time soon. Hopefully Alaska will jump in there. We need London service to add to our growing list of international destinations; Tokyo, Frankfurt, four cities in Mexico, and our old friend Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
Oh, and speaking of Burbank, the tiny Bob Hope airport is actually one of the best in my opinion for convenience- I used to fly into that airport when my parents were living in the Toluca Lake area of LA and there's almost no wait for security and its so easy to find everything being such a small terminal.
Small world!! I'm from Portland and now live in Toluca Lake, and I fly out of Burbank/Bob Hope every week. It's the best for ease of use. It could use an interior remodel and a few more shops, but you can't beat being home in less than 20 minutes from the time the plane's wheels hit the runway.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 6:01 PM

It would seem to me that with all the congestion @ some of the major airports PDX would be in good shape to get the FAA/Major airlines to take a look @ PDX to help with the congestion.....increase routes out of PDX instead of adding more "runways" and "flights" @ these hubs. PDX can handle it without spending a lot of dollars on infrastructure for the short term future.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 6:15 PM
Well designed mixed use

I've heard that London service is in-the-works.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 6:25 PM

^^^Really? That would be awesome. Having a direct flight to london would make sense to me--just in the last year that i've lived in portland i have met tons of people who were on vacation from the uk.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
You are so right about the direct flights. I've been tracking flights out of PDX for 30 years and remember when "international" meant one daily flight to Vancouver. And Chicago was as far east as any non-stop went. Now we have Boston, NYC, Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit, Orlando, Atlanta, etc, etc, etc. Still need a Miami flight. American service to PDX is minor so it seems unlikely that we'll see a flight to their Miami hub any time soon. Hopefully Alaska will jump in there. We need London service to add to our growing list of international destinations; Tokyo, Frankfurt, four cities in Mexico, and our old friend Vancouver.
Well the sad thing is for you guys is the Frankfurt service is gonna be switched to Seattle soon.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:39 PM

I agree, PDX is awesome! I only used it once, but it is a beautifully organized place.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTSEATTLEGUY View Post
Well the sad thing is for you guys is the Frankfurt service is gonna be switched to Seattle soon.
Interesting. Can you provide a link to the source of that information? Since Lufthansa averages 245 passengers on its Portland flights, on planes that seat 275 people (89% load factor) it seems unlikely they would pull out of Portland.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:55 PM

WestSeattleGuy: I have contacted the Port of Portland, with a copy of your response (so they know I am not the one starting the rumor), asking them if this is true....

According to the Port of Portland's monthly publication Lufthansa is very happy with their non stop service between Frankfurt and Portland. There has been a steady increase in air traffic and cargo with their flights.

Maybe they will move their operations to SeaTac...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 8:34 PM

Ya, well a few guys Seattle guys over at ssc wrote letters to other international airlines asking for service to Seattle. We wrote to Lufthansa and they said either the service would be switched to Seattle or they would keep the service in Portland and add Seattle as a destination, but downgrade the aircraft for both destinations to A330s. But they did say the PDX-Frankfurt route was one of their most profitable routes to the US.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 8:48 PM

We will see if the Port of Portland responds to my email...hopefully, Seattle will be added but not at the expense/convenience of Portland users.

Your second response ⬆ has a different tone and slant than your first response to this thread...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTSEATTLEGUY View Post
...But they did say the PDX-Frankfurt route was one of their most profitable routes to the US.
So somehow Lufthansa would pull "one of their most profitable routes to the US" and move it to another city because some guys wrote them a letter? Yep, that's exactly how for-profit companies operate. Yep, yep, yep.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 9:48 PM

rsbear: Seattle was a finalist when Portland was chosen for the route so I can understand the airline thinking "positively" about SeaTac.

BUT, it is responses like those of WestSeattleGuy that "stir the pot" and the respond they are accused as being too sensitive, or poor sports, etc.

Last edited by PacificNW; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure