HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:27 PM

Rust City Brewery Closed

From a post on r/Hamilton:

"All phone numbers, emails, website, and social media are disconnected. Does anyone know how to actually contact the owners James and Nancy Malcolm? They owe money."

Apparently it closed right after New Years.

Here's the Reddit thread: https://bit.ly/2M6MOXE

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:49 PM
Hammer'd

Well that wasn't worth losing Homegrown for.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Well that wasn't worth losing Homegrown for.
Definitely. I can imagine that the rent charged to Rust City was pretty high.

And they didn't end up brewing. I'm not sure why the city can't get its act together enough to allow brewpubs outside of industrial zones (Merit excepted) like pretty much every other city in North America. Why not have Hamiltonians buying more beer made in Hamilton rather than sending that money outside the city?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Definitely. I can imagine that the rent charged to Rust City was pretty high.

And they didn't end up brewing. I'm not sure why the city can't get its act together enough to allow brewpubs outside of industrial zones (Merit excepted) like pretty much every other city in North America. Why not have Hamiltonians buying more beer made in Hamilton rather than sending that money outside the city?
What about the brew pubs in Dundas, Fairweather included.

Valentinos in westdale also has its own micro brewery. I wasnt aware that the city wasn’t allowing brewpubs outside of induustrial areas?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
What about the brew pubs in Dundas, Fairweather included.

Valentinos in westdale also has its own micro brewery. I wasnt aware that the city wasn’t allowing brewpubs outside of induustrial areas?
Exactly. The city is not disallowing brewpubs. But there may be some resistance to zoning variance requests in some parts of the city.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:04 AM

Another business lost due to over-regulation and a slow city process. This one is tragic, the guy who ran the place was a gem. Spoke old irish, loved to dance and had lots of stories to tell about his enigmatic childhood. Him and his business will be missed.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:50 AM
Ham-burgher

I have no idea about the specifics of this situation, but excessive city red tape notwithstanding, isn't it important for a proprietor to know what hoops he/she has to jump through and factor that into their business plan?

May or may not have been the reason this failed. This is also a tough line of business no matter where it's tried.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I have no idea about the specifics of this situation, but excessive city red tape notwithstanding, isn't it important for a proprietor to know what hoops he/she has to jump through and factor that into their business plan?.......
That location has a history of zoning problems. Homegrown used to roast coffee beans late at night, since the steet's zoning does not allow this use.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
That location has a history of zoning problems. Homegrown used to roast coffee beans late at night, since the steet's zoning does not allow this use.
yet another anti-biz policy from city hall.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
yet another anti-biz policy from city hall.
It's not an anti-biz policy. Roasting coffee beans at commercial volumes creates odours. This is why they operate in industrial or commercial/industrial areas. Homegrown decided to skirt the restrictions.

Breweries that operate in residential areas, such as Left Field in Toronto, worked hard to get the support of their neighbours during the application process. It's a successful brewery and well-embedded into the neigbourhood.

Did Rust City bother to do anything to advance their cause from day one?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:15 PM

and yet just down the road in Toronto, one of my favourite coffee roasters is located in an alleyway next to residential homes, along with a brewery. Funny how the rest of the world can figure this stuff out, but Hamilton can't.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6739...7i13312!8i6656

Take a virtual walk down the alley. Literally across the alley from people's backyards. Some cities are open for business and ambitious. Others stagnate. It's not rocket science.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:20 PM

Here's a brewery location in the middle of Kensington Market hood in TO. Yet, somehow King William can't handle one....

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6564...7i13312!8i6656

And my personal fave....yes, this street houses a brewery. Look for address #31

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6580...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
and yet just down the road in Toronto, one of my favourite coffee roasters is located in an alleyway next to residential homes, along with a brewery. Funny how the rest of the world can figure this stuff out, but Hamilton can't.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6739...7i13312!8i6656

Take a virtual walk down the alley. Literally across the alley from people's backyards. Some cities are open for business and ambitious. Others stagnate. It's not rocket science.
Pilot Coffee was there before Left Field moved in. Likely also worked hard to win support. I'm just saying that even though the City is often an obstacle to growing business in Hamilton, sometimes it's a convenient target for some who can't be bothered having a strategy.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Here's a brewery location in the middle of Kensington Market hood in TO. Yet, somehow King William can't handle one....
Yup. Know it well. For a few years it was a pub. The owner launched the plan to become a brewery. It took years. He was bought out. To their credit, the new owners persevered and it finally opened.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Yup. Know it well. For a few years it was a pub. The owner launched the plan to become a brewery. It took years. He was bought out. To their credit, the new owners persevered and it finally opened.
for sure a biz owner needs to get it together...but the fact is, it's super hard here. Talk to biz owners. I know a ton of them. Red tape never ends.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
for sure a biz owner needs to get it together...but the fact is, it's super hard here. Talk to biz owners. I know a ton of them. Red tape never ends.
I know that Grain N Grit did not have an easy time with the city at all. My question again is why the city can't get their act together and be pro-active and try to capitalize on the trend.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I know that Grain N Grit did not have an easy time with the city at all..
Please share the specifics of this.

Over and over again we hear about the city making things so hard for businesses, but no one shares the details. I understand that the business doesn't want to piss off the bureaucrats, so they keep quiet. But 3rd parties, like you, don't have to. You're anonymous on this forum, so spill it!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

Here's stuff I've heard from three business owners (one bar, one brewery, one restaurant):

- The city provides incomplete lists of requirements (ie, here are all the inspections you need done, then six months later, "oops, also this one")
- Taking months to do things like zoning verification
- Taking months for permit application
- Telling someone that something was grandfathered and wouldn't be a problem, then changing their mind about it months later
- "We don't have a zoning class for exactly this type of business, so we can't let you open" (this is second-hand information I've heard about both the hostel and one of the board game cafes)

Just finding out what you have to do seems to be a struggle. It's a constant game of

"Here's everything you wanted."
"What about this other thing?"
"I wasn't told about that..."
"Well, it should've been done by now!"

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Please share the specifics of this.

Over and over again we hear about the city making things so hard for businesses, but no one shares the details. I understand that the business doesn't want to piss off the bureaucrats, so they keep quiet. But 3rd parties, like you, don't have to. You're anonymous on this forum, so spill it!
From what I heard, G&G were initially denied and told to apply for rezoning because their building was zoned industrial. The found out that Fairweather down the street who is under the same zoning type, was approved by the city to open a brewery there. G&G went back to the city and basically said, you told these guys they could open a brewery so why can't we? At which point the city let them open.

Edit: This is part of a bigger problem which is lack of consistency when it comes to rules at the city. Another instance was working with the building department. One engineer who has worked on a number of bars/restaurants had one set of rules and documents that he wanted. Another engineer was stricter and wanted other things. Some of those things cost the client more money and time. So if you get stuck with that engineer, you get screwed over a bit and then no one knows that the base rules are when it's applied differently by everyone.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Here's stuff I've heard from three business owners (one bar, one brewery, one restaurant):

- The city provides incomplete lists of requirements (ie, here are all the inspections you need done, then six months later, "oops, also this one")
- Taking months to do things like zoning verification
- Taking months for permit application
- Telling someone that something was grandfathered and wouldn't be a problem, then changing their mind about it months later
- "We don't have a zoning class for exactly this type of business, so we can't let you open" (this is second-hand information I've heard about both the hostel and one of the board game cafes)

Just finding out what you have to do seems to be a struggle. It's a constant game of

"Here's everything you wanted."
"What about this other thing?"
"I wasn't told about that..."
"Well, it should've been done by now!"
All true. Also, "Oh, you didn't actually have to do all that"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation