HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:33 AM
Dartmouth Girl

HRM By Me!

Hey guys, Pat here, creator of the Haligonians For Development group on facebook. (Hoping for bigger things for the group and would love for all of you guys to be involved!)

I am a student currently enrolled at the NSCC's Waterfront campus in Dartmouth. We're just beginning our 5 week spring semester, which for our class, involves no exams- just a big project which will be viewed mid-June by many groups, individuals, businesses, business bigwigs, city people etc..

Since the HRM by design thing has been uhh, well, to put it simply, really failing to deliver what I was expecting, I've taken it upon myself for my 5 week project, to do "HRM By Me." It is pretty much what it sounds like, I am going to undertake doing a project similar to that of HRM By Design, except the way I feel Halifax should be. Information and whatnot about land use, buildings, sketched drawings of streetscapes, photography (I chose to include a photo element because photography is my field of study).

I guess its pretty straightforward of *what* I am looking to do, I plan on including stuff like addressing the Cogswell issue, United Gulf Brewery and everything active. I also plan on including the third harbour crossing, stadium, arena, highways/streets, and other relevant projects that would work.

I would *LOVE* to hear what all of you have to say about this, thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated. I feel as though some constructive criticism would really help me out here.

Thanks very much guys, I hope to hear lots of great stuff!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:38 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I've got a few great ideas floating around already. But I should also mention, if there is anything *specific* any of you would like to see, by all means, PLEASE don't hesitate to mention it and I will certainly see what I can do!!

Last edited by Aya_Akai; Apr 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:01 PM

Is your NSCC program related to this in any way?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 3:39 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canopus View Post
Is your NSCC program related to this in any way?
Nope! lol I'm actually finishing up my foundation year in the Applied Communication Arts program, and I am starting a 2 year in photography next September.

Edit:

We've been assigned a 5 week project for our spring semester that can be of *anything* and I chose to do this, my instructors think it is a fantastic idea.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:05 AM

Sounds like a great project, and a lot to undertake! Good luck!

Are you going to look just at downtown Halifax, or the whole of the area that HRM by Design looked at?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:22 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Are you going to look just at downtown Halifax, or the whole of the area that HRM by Design looked at?
I'm going to be focusing primarily on downtown, however I am going to be including other things elsewhere in the city, and a few things I can think of right off the top of my head at the moment are a convention centre, arena, stadium, third harbour crossing and I've got a few ideas for a couple of specific sites in downtown. Cogswell revamp is a must and of course staying true and including United Gulf as it is portrayed in all the renderings (damn I love those buildings!)

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:55 AM

Sounds great, I look forward to seeing your take on HRM By Design!

So, just how nice is the Waterfront campus? I went to the IT campus on Leeds Street..

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:08 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
So, just how nice is the Waterfront campus? I went to the IT campus on Leeds Street..
Uhm, well, if you really can compare them- I'll have to use the example one of my instructors used, picture a 5 year old home PC, compared to a new iMac lol.

It's really quite the place, wonderful interior, a view out the big window I don't think anywhere else in the city can compare to. It's actually kind of neat-they actually constructed the entrance to the school on the Pleasant Street side of the building to line up with George street from across the harbour, perfect view of the town clock from the school. lol

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:34 PM

Well I didn't actually mean compare the brand new campus to the old IT campus
One of these days I'm going to drop by the new one and have a look around. It's a stunning building though from the outside, from the water.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 11:46 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Well I didn't actually mean compare the brand new campus to the old IT campus
One of these days I'm going to drop by the new one and have a look around. It's a stunning building though from the outside, from the water.
It really is a beautiful building, the sunny days when all the natural light all comes in, there are rarely any lights on in the building until it gets dark. Lots of areas to concentrate on getting work done, lots of other areas to just relax and take a break, the hill on the harbour side is great when its nice to go outside and eat or just take a breather. It really is a fantastic campus. Although right now they've got the front all torn up because they are beginning work on the second building of the campus. I'm going to be taking my camera with me tuesday and plan on taking some photos to post on here.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:20 AM

Just regarding the campus, has it been connected to the ferry terminal by that paved walking/bike trail yet?

Last time I knew someone going there most of the students were fairly local and lived at home. Is the area around it being semi-converted into student rentals?

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
It's actually kind of neat-they actually constructed the entrance to the school on the Pleasant Street side of the building to line up with George street from across the harbour, perfect view of the town clock from the school. lol
And a perfect view of the huge NSCC letters on the building from George St and Parade Square, not to mention much of the Halifax Waterfront. You'd almost think their marketing team had a hand in that.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 11:57 AM
Closed account

Quote:
I'm going to be taking my camera with me tuesday and plan on taking some photos to post on here.
You should start a new thread on the project with those. It's big enough to warrant it.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 1:43 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Just regarding the campus, has it been connected to the ferry terminal by that paved walking/bike trail yet?

Last time I knew someone going there most of the students were fairly local and lived at home. Is the area around it being semi-converted into student rentals?
Yep, its the trans-Canada trail runs just outside of the schools property on the harbour side, and we've got several paths that lead down to it. The school's "lawn" is actually a rest stop for the trail, and there are public bathrooms that aren't actually connected to the rest of the school, but they are in the building itself (the crammed 2 of them into the bottom of one of the stair wells) which are open from I think 7 am till 9 or 10 pm for the public to use while on the trail.

We've been wondering the same thing about the student rentals actually, there are several homes in the area that have recently been converted, or in the process of being renovated into a few little apartments in the area, one of them a nice lady I know already has all 4 rooms spoken for, for next year. There is also the Princess Alexandria unit of the Nova Scotia Hospital which is literally 150 feet from the school towards the hospital/ferry terminal, it has been vacant for quite some time and many of us at the school think that it would be a good idea to convert the buildings into student dorms, there are 20-30 rooms from what we can tell, kitchen facility, common areas (complete already with a creepy lone pool table which I think is the only thing left in the entire building) and of course, right beside the school. We're not really sure whats going on with that as they've been recently been fenced off, and there are a few construction things around (trailers, a massive excavator and a bulldozer)....

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Yep, its the trans-Canada trail runs just outside of the schools property on the harbour side, and we've got several paths that lead down to it....
Yes but is it connected to the terminal. I walked part of it last year and there was still no direct on-trail connection.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 10:30 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Yes but is it connected to the terminal. I walked part of it last year and there was still no direct on-trail connection.
Nah, its all connected now, full access right to the ferry terminal from behind the NS

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:53 PM

Technically it's connected to both terminals, as the trail runs to Alderney Gate as well. Just a bit more of a hike that way

Anyway, looking forward to your HRM By You project

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 1:00 AM

So how's the project coming along?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 3:16 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
So how's the project coming along?
Oh jeez, I totally forgot I started this thread (lol)

I got it all finished, and in on time for the due date a couple weeks ago. I received my mark back (91%) so I don't think I did too bad.

I've also been informed I've gotten an award from NSCC (I have no idea why I got it, I can only assume it is for this project?) Something to do with the Democracy 250 thing?

They told me over the phone that it was for doing something that was involved with the community, and that project, with all the research and stuff I've done is really the only thing I can think of. Receiving it on wednesday, I'll let you know the rest of the info about that (I don't know anything myself, haha)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 7:51 PM
we built this city

You should post your project in its own thread, I'm sure it would be interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues