HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 1:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like competition is changing Tim Hortons suburban attitude into a more urban friendly Tim Hortons....

Meet the new Tim Hortons look, unveiled today at Hamilton....

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/new-look-...s-on-main-west

Comfortable chairs, booth seating, an automatic sliding door, a fireplace, a big screen television and satellite are just a few of the elements that have been added to the store.

The theatre baking, which uses a state-of-the-art combination oven, allows food to be freshly prepared in front of the customers. This is the only Tim Hortons in Hamilton that offers this. There is also a cold stone creamery that serves soft-swirl ice cream, another franchise-first for the city.

In the next month, Burch also plans to add a patio that will seat approximately 10 people.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:00 PM

I saw the picture, and was thinking that I walked by the Tim Horton's on Main West just the other night and missed this…

Unfortunately, this is, of course, not the Tim Horton's near Dundurn, but rather that near Cootes. Pity.

It looks great, and those new services and amenities sound great. I happen not to be a big fan of Tim Horton's, and personally can't imagine spending $1.50 or more each day every day on coffee as some of its adherents do, but I respect the company a lot for catering to its clientele and evolving in a methodic way. This is a great sign: if they are doing this, you can be sure a lot of research and thought is behind it, and this is what consumers- at least in this part of town- really want and demand.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Looks like competition is changing Tim Hortons suburban attitude into a more urban friendly Tim Hortons....

Meet the new Tim Hortons look, unveiled today at Hamilton....

http://yourhamiltonbiz.com/new-look-...s-on-main-west

Comfortable chairs, booth seating, an automatic sliding door, a fireplace, a big screen television and satellite are just a few of the elements that have been added to the store.

The theatre baking, which uses a state-of-the-art combination oven, allows food to be freshly prepared in front of the customers. This is the only Tim Hortons in Hamilton that offers this. There is also a cold stone creamery that serves soft-swirl ice cream, another franchise-first for the city.

In the next month, Burch also plans to add a patio that will seat approximately 10 people.
This look has been around for a few months now? I've seen it in Burlington already! Why are they saying that they are just announcing it today? Lol.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:26 PM

PS, I was wondering if they were planning on updating the Tim Horton's in Westdale anytime soon? That is my go-to Tim Hortons haha.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:20 PM

Which one(s) in Burlington look like this? I haven't seen any, but I'm kinda off in the corner of Burlytown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
This look has been around for a few months now? I've seen it in Burlington already! Why are they saying that they are just announcing it today? Lol.
There's a location on Dundas St., I believe it's on the west corner of Walkers Line, that has a different look from many of the other stores - beige brick and maybe those brown and red awnings... is that the one you're thinking of?

This design looks a bit similar but there are differences (the banner above the entry, the red siding-clad wall, style of brick?). I could be wrong, I don't get up there a lot.

Perhaps the interior elements they note are new too - booths, fireplace, theatre baking, etc.

Regardless, it's an upgrade. It's getting hard to remember what Hortons used to look like even 15-20 years ago before the last remodel, though those styles may still be out there.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:09 PM

The Tim Horton's on Brant. The one in the plaza with the BestBuy and it's when you get off the highway at the Brant exit. And, the other one is further up on Brant in the plaza with Fresh Co.

The style is the exact same as the photo except at one of the Tim Horton's, they don't have the red wall because it's attached to a Burger King and it's quite small.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
The Tim Horton's on Brant. The one in the plaza with the BestBuy and it's when you get off the highway at the Brant exit. And, the other one is further up on Brant in the plaza with Fresh Co.

The style is the exact same as the photo except at one of the Tim Horton's, they don't have the red wall because it's attached to a Burger King and it's quite small.
Thanks - I'll have to take a better look. I tend to drive up that stretch of Brant with tunnel vision.

I do recall seeing that the one at the FreshCo plaza was being remodelled not too long ago; it would make sense to follow the new corporate design.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Regardless, it's an upgrade. It's getting hard to remember what Hortons used to look like even 15-20 years ago before the last remodel, though those styles may still be out there.
I remember the sunrooms, cold hard chairs attached to the table, fake plants hanging on the side. Thick nicotine smoke covering the air, ahh the old days lol. Plus actual smell of fresh cooked donuts, cookies, eclairs, and cakes. Used to have displays of cakes spinning around and they used to wear aprons.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Oh and the old sit-down counter they used to have.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 7:48 PM

Oh man! I remember the cakes! I was a young'un when they got rid of those, I think...

I also remember the peach drink they used to have. That shit was delicious.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:31 PM
Hammer'd

They still sell the peach drink in bottles.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:

Drove by them earlier. Good eye

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
..not from the fountain

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It's not the same.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:09 PM

Noticed yesterday that the Coffee Culture sign has gone up for the Gore Park location...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:59 PM

Confidence in coffee

Mountain firm named small business of the year

By Mark Newman, Mountain News Staff Tuesday, April, 22, 2014

Jason Hofing didn't start drinking coffee until he began working as driver for a courier company about six years ago.
Like many of us, his only relationship with the dark beverage was what he was handed at the drive-thru window.
Then one day he was making a delivery to a coffee roaster in Kingston who, when he saw the brand name cup sitting in the vehicle, invited Hofing inside to try some so called real coffee.
“I’ve been hooked ever since,” said the 36-year-old east Mountain resident, who along with his wife Rachel, started Red Hill Coffee Trade five years ago and last November opened E23, a coffee bar on Concession Street and East 23rd.
Late last month the fair trade coffee maker was named the 2013 small business of the year at the annual Hamilton Chamber of Commerce outstanding business achievement awards gala.
“It was really nice to be recognized for the work that we had been doing because we really want to play a role in being a business that’s part of the Hamilton community” Hofing said.
Originally from Brampton, Hofing is a graduate of Redeemer University College and spent a couple of years teaching Grade 6 at a Christian school in Pickering.
He noted his faith and desire to start a business that was socially responsible led him to set up a micro coffee bean roster (less than 2,500 pounds a year) featuring certified organic fair trade coffee where growers are guaranteed a minimum fair price for their crop.
“I was tired of delivering stuff that was going to end up in the landfill,” Hofing said. “Fair trade really spoke to me.”
Hofing said they decided to come to Hamilton because there was no micro roaster in the city and their three young daughters would be close to friends and family.
Working with Fair Trade Canada, Hofing said he imports coffee beans from a variety of countries such as Peru, Bolivia, Guatemala, Ethiopia and Sumatra.
“We only purchase fair trade coffee because we want to make sure we’re a business that’s making an impact not just locally, but around the globe,” Hofing said.
The beans are roasted each Wednesday at their shop on Lancing Avenue in the Red Hill Business Park and on Thursdays the coffee is delivered to about 20 cafes and restaurants in and around the Hamilton area including E23, which opened after Hofing and his father-in-law spent numerous hours renovating the space.
Hofing said the “sticker shock” of paying $2.25 for a 10 ounce cup of coffee is wearing off as his customers appreciate a quality cup of coffee.
The beans for each cup are ground on site at the time of purchase and the coffee is made by slowly running hot water over the grindings in a paper filter.
Hofing said he got to know Concession Street from making deliveries to Papa Leo’s restaurant.
He noted restaurant owner Leo Santos was always promoting the street to him and when space became available at Concession and East 23rd he went for it.
“It appealed to me,” he said. “Lots of pedestrian traffic and great neighbourhoods with families.”
Hofing said the coffee bar allows them to further promote their product and so far business at E23 and the roasting operation has been good enough for him to consider opening another coffee bar in the downtown area.
“We are planning for some future growth,” said Hofing, who is hoping the chamber award will help attract some investors to fuel that expansion.

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/confidence-in-coffee/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:11 PM

The top 10 Coffee shops in Southern Ontario

BlogTO August 13, 2017

Coffee shops in Southern Ontario keep the caffeine flowing in beautiful spaces that are often off the beaten path. These local favourites often roast their own beans or source their coffee from those nearby. So whether you're driving through a new place or live in town, grab a cup of joe and sit awhile.

Here are my picks for the top coffee shops in southern Ontario.

Detour (Dundas)
Find this roastery and cafe on Dundas' main drag. Pick up a coffee to go and sit on the front bench or stay for brunch and eat it on the beautiful, tree-covered side patio.

Death Valley's Little Brother (Waterloo)
More commonly known as DVLB, this whisky bar and cafe was the coolest spot in Waterloo when it first opened up. It has a vintage vibe thanks to its dark wooden accents and includes lots of work space for students.

Cannon Coffee Co. (Hamilton)
It's easy to find great coffee in Hamilton and this cozy spot on Ottawa Street is a favourite in the town that everyone seems to be moving to right now.

Smile Tiger (Kitchener)
With a location right by the Via Rail Station, this cafe serves up espresso in the early morning for those heading to and fro. It also roasts all of its own beans on site.

Elm Cafe (Kingston)
Grab a cup of coffee to go and walk down to the lake. Or, take a seat in this cozy cafe run by a couple who serve Pilot coffee, baked treats and sandwiches.

Locomotive Espresso (London)
Whether or not you're a student who spent the night at a Richmond Street bar, you could probably use a pick-me-up from this espresso bar that serves Pilot coffee.

The Vic Cafe (Picton)
This cafe in the heart of Prince Edward County is attached to an old movie theatre. It serves food (think grain bowls) as well as coffee to go if you need to fuel up for a day of wine and cheese tasting.

Cafe March 21 (Windsor)
Yes, this cafe actually opened its doors for the first time on March 21. It serves all sorts of beverages (including blueberry lattes), a slew of made-in-house baked goods and ramen. Road trip to Windsor, please?

Settlement Co. (Waterloo)
Thanks to its tech scene and two universities, Waterloo is experiencing a growth spurt. Lots of interesting businesses are opening up, including this coffee roaster and cafe with two locations that dole out espresso-based bevies and nitro cold brew.

Redchurch (Hamilton)

Not only is this an indie cafe, it's also a contemporary gallery. Pick up a coffee and check out some local artwork.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014...thern_ontario/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 9:43 PM

Redchurch is pretty good and looks fantastic but the best coffee in the city is with out a doubt from Relay, I live downtown so I usually get it from the Market but the one on Concession is great as well

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:16 PM

The 10 Best Coffee Spots in Hamilton for 2019

By urbanicity.com
  1. Relay Coffee
  2. Mulberry Street Coffeehouse
  3. Phin Coffee Bar
  4. Cannon Coffee Co.
  5. Saint James Eatery
  6. Synonym Shop
  7. Smalls Coffee
  8. Grupetto
  9. Redchurch Cafe + Gallery
  10. Salty Espresso

https://urbanicity.com/hamilton/top-...lton-for-2019/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation