HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:50 PM

No point in getting into a discussion about LA homelessness and housing in this thread. It will all get deleted for being off topic. City Discussion is a better venue.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I am sure Eric Garcetti would be a great ambassador but this would be a big loss for Los Angeles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axios/sta...ive-Digest-5-5
It wouldn't be a big loss at all.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:54 PM

Let's get back into local gossip.

Looks like something is happening at Oceanwide today. This crane base rolled up this morning, so far just a bunch of workers milling about but no movement... perhaps they are putting the crane back that they removed last year?

EDIT: Crap, just realized that this could also just be local filming... so cruel to tease like that

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Let's get back into local gossip.

Looks like something is happening at Oceanwide today. This crane base rolled up this morning, so far just a bunch of workers milling about but no movement... perhaps they are putting the crane back that they removed last year?

EDIT: Crap, just realized that this could also just be local filming... so cruel to tease like that
I’ve never seen a crane put up for filming.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:16 PM

It's definitely a film crew, they've been at it all day! All the random people running around without hard hats or neon vests gives it away Maybe just taking advantage of the Oceanwide construction site as the background for footage.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:18 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
It's definitely a film crew, they've been at it all day! All the random people running around without hard hats or neon vests gives it away Maybe just taking advantage of the Oceanwide construction site as the background for footage.
I wonder what they are filming there...

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:49 PM

"The Tower Oversight"

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:47 AM

I walked by, it's "9-1-1", some Fox TV show about first responders. They were doing some other filming just down the block at the Hudson Loft building a week or so ago.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 3:16 AM

https://www.livabl.com/2021/02/dtla-...-pandemic.html

Speaking of the randomness of Oceanwide. This is the 3rd article I've read that has this fantasy that Oceanwide will be online by the end of the year. Seeing how we are already near the halfway point, HIGHLY unlikely. I wish somebody would come in and just buy it already. Apparently Oceanwide is selling at steep/deep discounts in the category of 100s of millions. Maybe ONNI can step in. The towers fit the higher end of their portfolio HAHA.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 6:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That same article also states that the Brookfield tower on 8th Street will open this year, which we all know is not the case. The level of journalism on some of these sites is laughable.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
https://www.livabl.com/2021/02/dtla-...-pandemic.html

Speaking of the randomness of Oceanwide. This is the 3rd article I've read that has this fantasy that Oceanwide will be online by the end of the year. Seeing how we are already near the halfway point, HIGHLY unlikely. I wish somebody would come in and just buy it already. Apparently Oceanwide is selling at steep/deep discounts in the category of 100s of millions. Maybe ONNI can step in. The towers fit the higher end of their portfolio HAHA.
Honestly though. Onni seems to be going full steam ahead when it comes to investing in downtown and they have shown they can follow through. If they could get a good deal, I bet they would be open to it! Who wouldn’t if they had the funding? Oceanwide & Broadway Trade Center are two massive projects with tons of retail space that could really make a huge difference is their respective locations, but both are stalled. It’s a damn shame!

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Honestly though. Onni seems to be going full steam ahead when it comes to investing in downtown and they have shown they can follow through. If they could get a good deal, I bet they would be open to it! Who wouldn’t if they had the funding? Oceanwide & Broadway Trade Center are two massive projects with tons of retail space that could really make a huge difference is their respective locations, but both are stalled. It’s a damn shame!
Totally agreed!!!

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Certainly, many homeless are suffering from addiction and mental illness. California's housing is simply unaffordable for many residents, however, and Eric Garcetti seems like he has done a good job encouraging more housing in Los Angeles.

California’s housing market smashed another record. Here’s how much it costs to buy a home
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...250907379.html
I thought Biden was going to do a ruling, executive order?, to ban single family zoning across the country, which would greatly, greatly help L.A. which is, I believe, still 72% zoned for single family homes. It would be a boon to the construction business, and help allay the homeless issue.

Minneapolis did away with single family zoning last year, and if you get on the Minneapolis site you'll see, perhaps, a 3-plex or 4-plex rising right next to a single family home in south Minneapolis.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 6:32 PM

^^^ Unfortunately that move would be dead on arrival and political suicide. What makes sense in LA may look ridiculous in Montana and the Dakotas.

The problem with LA specifically is that city leaders have put up miles and miles and miles of red tape to get anything built and are now on TV saying "we don't know why we have a housing shortage". Its an easy fix that the city could tackle with a few swipes of a pen and a ballot measure. We saw how good the adaptive reuse ordinance was. Cut all the red tape, up zone the hell out of the downtown loop, Earthquake/fire standards meet? give it the green light. Easy. Instead, everything must travel through city hall at a snails pace for no reason unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I think I read somewhere that the Broadway Trade Center just got a new life line of funds recently. Totally agree, Onni needs to put Oceanwide in their portfolio, its nearly complete with at most maybe a year left of construction. Would be a great move for them if the asking price is 500-750 million. That's a steal.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 12:47 AM

That would be great for Broadway Center. That corner will be awesome.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:45 AM

Moxy Hotel at Fig and Pico

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:50 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Has the second tower in this project break ground yet?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:24 AM

No not yet.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:06 AM

It's hilarious how the podiums line up almost perfectly. The podium will still be wrapped in glass and LED boards right?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It's hilarious how the podiums line up almost perfectly. The podium will still be wrapped in glass and LED boards right?
I would assume that was done on purpose, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations