HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I wonder if they could renovate it. It’s a decent looking building. I can’t imagine there is structural damage so bad it necessitates destruction. I’m thinking a rehab similar to paragon station but bigger.
I say, bulldoze everything that's in the way so the end result matches the initial goal and vision. Wide open plaza's, trees, a small park or two for a dog (I have no idea where people walk their dogs around there...as there are ZERO parks / green space.) Then it will become a huge draw for downtown, connect to both shopping areas and Temple square. I love the vision and idea. The current, one story, massive warehouse looking, convention center is a complete waste of space. Actually, I think most convention centers need to move out to the suburbs. ... again, just my opinion.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Additional tidbit I forgot to mention. Expect a second floor of the convention center with a sky bridge connecting the two sections over 100s. Expect demolition of the current West side of the building. Not sure of the current plans for the Raddison hotel. Schmoe I know you had connections with the Ritchie Group. I wonder if they have been contacted about coordinating this with their Phase 2 plans?
Does this mean opening 100 South as a through-street again? That would be awesome!

One unmentioned thing about the City’s update to the Rio Grande Plan is that the North Temple Frontrunner station would need to be moved to the south side of North Temple street (due to the grades). This means that the below-grade platform and its entrances would be immediately behind the Gateway.

That reduces the walk from Frontrunner to the Delta Center from 2 blocks to 1 block, and that single block would be through the Gateway Plaza and the Union Pacific depot.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:04 PM
They all float down here

Our boy is growing up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Does this mean opening 100 South as a through-street again? That would be awesome!

One unmentioned thing about the City’s update to the Rio Grande Plan is that the North Temple Frontrunner station would need to be moved to the south side of North Temple street (due to the grades). This means that the below-grade platform and its entrances would be immediately behind the Gateway.

That reduces the walk from Frontrunner to the Delta Center from 2 blocks to 1 block, and that single block would be through the Gateway Plaza and the Union Pacific depot.
Yes as of now the plan is to reconnect 100s in some form so downtown flows from City Creek to the Delta Center.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:48 PM

I demand plans, renderings and timelines!

Old Posted Today, 2:32 AM

Those I don't have unfortunately, but like I said before expect this to move faster than your average major project because alot of major parties are pushing for this to get done. Another thing I heard that may be interesting to keep an eye on. I know from an SEG source that Smith is now considering downtown practice facilities for both the Jazz and NHL team. A year or so ago a West Quarter rendering leaked with a proposed Jazz practice facility and it was quickly shot down by SEG. This is because they were still strongly considering moving the team to Draper. This is now off the table thanks to multiple players like the mayor, Governor Cox, The Church, and The IOC pushing hard for them to stay downtown and Ryan agreeing. The reason I asked Shmoe if the Ritchie group was again involved in the discussions, is because I am very curious if they will revive those talks and come back with a West Quarter plan that includes both practice facilities. I also know Smith is very interested in luxury urban housing being close to these facilities, so the players can easily walk between their facilty, their homes. and the arena. I don't know all the details, but I can say this is expected to rebuild our downtown in a very major way. From what I've heard, be very excited.

Last edited by taboubak; Today at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:07 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Those I don't have unfortunately, but like I said before expect this to move faster than your average major project because alot of major parties are pushing for this to get done. Another thing I heard that may be interesting to keep an eye on. I know for an SEG source that Smith is now considering downtown practice facilities for both the Jazz and NHL team. A year or so ago a West Quarter rendering leaked with a proposed Jazz practice facility and it was quickly shot down by SEG. This is because they were still strongly considering moving the team to Draper. This is now off the table thanks to multiple players like the mayor, Governor Cox, The Church, and The IOC pushing hard for them to stay downtown and Ryan agreeing. The reason I asked Shmoe if the Ritchie group was again involved in the discussions, is because I am very curious if they will revive those talks and come back with a West Quarter plan that includes both practice facilities. I also know Smith is very interested in luxury urban housing being close to these facilities, so the players can easily walk between their facilty, their homes. and the arena. I don't know all the details, but I can say this is expected to rebuild our downtown in a very major way. From what I've heard, be very excited.
When those renderings were leaked, it was at the height of talk about Smith going south to the Point of the Mountain. I remember getting excited thinking that possibly it was a premature leak and that this meant the Jazz had signed on to build their practice facility downtown (which would have indicated a level of commitment to the area). But nope.

Still uneasy that Smith was so set on moving everything out of downtown. I get he's a Lehi guy and has zero connection to Salt Lake City (wasn't born here, never lived here, didn't go to school here, never worked here) but I don't think a lot of people understand how important a destination downtown is to the vibrancy of a region overall.

I would wager places like Denver and Austin have taken off like they have because of the investment both cities have put into their downtown. It absolutely bleeds out into the satellite cities. People associate with it and yet, don't necessarily have to exactly live there - just in the region.

It really is a 'rising tide lifts all boats' type of deal.

I think a major reason so many rustbelt cities struggle is because the initial thought of the region is associated with the main area of the urban center.

Losing the Jazz would have really been a gut punch for a downtown that is still trying to find itself. We've made strides the last 20 years but there's still so much more that can be done to make it an actual 24/7 center of activity. I don't think it would have been impossible to do without a major arena in the core but it certainly would hurt it.

After all, in this scenario, Salt Lake is literally the only major/semi-major US city without an actual downtown arena (had the Jazz relocated, the Delta Center would lose out on the Jazz, most its shows and other acts that book through Salt Lake because the new arena would likely be better).

So glad that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Old Posted Today, 3:11 AM

We can be thankful that it seems alot of major players in the state seem to understand this. On both sides of the aisle too, there was a strong push to keep these downtown.

Old Posted Today, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurich View Post
I say, bulldoze everything that's in the way so the end result matches the initial goal and vision. Wide open plaza's, trees, a small park or two for a dog (I have no idea where people walk their dogs around there...as there are ZERO parks / green space.) Then it will become a huge draw for downtown, connect to both shopping areas and Temple square. I love the vision and idea. The current, one story, massive warehouse looking, convention center is a complete waste of space. Actually, I think most convention centers need to move out to the suburbs. ... again, just my opinion.
You think convention centers should be in the suburbs? Convention centers that bring in hundreds of thousands of visitors every year, all of whom bring hotel bookings and foot traffic, and therefore bring business to our downtown shops, restaurants and bars? You think those should be in the suburbs?

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM
They all float down here

It's funny. I think about ten years ago we had a discussion about the convention center and how much of a dead zone it was. The consensus at the time was that if we could, we'd demolish it and move it a bit more west lol

Old Posted Today, 3:49 AM

Omg I forgot about the west quarter jazz hq renderings a while back. I think it makes a lot of sense that they have been somewhat involved in or aware of the plans. It looked really cool

I prefer the convention center in its current location but I do think it should be made more space efficient as discussed a few pages back. There are convention centers with as much continuous convention space on less land. If they did move it, though, I think north temple would make more sense as its even closer to the airport

A reconnected street grid, japantown, and new urban convention center on top of the entertainment district sounds way too good to be true but I really hope it happens

Old Posted Today, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurich View Post
Actually, I think most convention centers need to move out to the suburbs. ... again, just my opinion.
I would have thought this before I worked in hotels downtown. The convention center is probably, the linchpin of the downtown economy. Without it allot of hotels, restaurants, bars etc. would shutter.

The Salt Palace is kind of a mixed blessing. It brings in allot of business but also creates a wall in the middle of downtown. I don't know that there is really a perfect place for it. On one hand, it would be better on the west side of downtown so that it wouldn't separate Main street and the west side but on the other hand, Main street would probably be hurt by that.

Old Posted Today, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
Here's Sacramento:

IMO they beat us in terms of architecture, but SLC succeeds in filling in the

space between buildings. SLC also has a better gradient from "skyscrapers" (I

know SLC technically doesn't have any) to surrounding neighborhoods. I'm

obviously biased, but I give SLC the win here.
Boise will be catching up , take a look at Boise's skyline compared to San Jose ,Albaquerque , with the 26 story Arthur apaartment building under construction , a 15 story dual brand Marriott , a 13 story Idaho Central CU going up , and soon the Ovation apartment building 23 stories etc... exciting

Old Posted Today, 5:03 AM
Space Magi

What are the odds of another 40 story building being proposed in the next few months? I'm thinking nonzero.

With Smith's statements about employee housing close to the DC, I think we see at least one 20+ story one and maybe more.

Does this big investment downtown help out any other existing tower projects? Does it make it easier in any way for Hines/Domain to get financing?

Also, what are the odds that the city pushes back and asks for the team to be named "Salt Lake" since SLC is the only city paying for this?

Old Posted Today, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
You think convention centers should be in the suburbs? Convention centers that bring in hundreds of thousands of visitors every year, all of whom bring hotel bookings and foot traffic, and therefore bring business to our downtown shops, restaurants and bars? You think those should be in the suburbs?
The revenue and business is needed, I agree. I just think convention centers seem to be dead space for a majority of the year and most of the actual conventions certainly don't bring the community together. They also take up entire city blocks, which completely contradicts the goal of urban density. And in this situation, it completely sever's half of downtown by blocking 100 South. Build the CC up 4-5 stories and use this as an opportunity to become the model, many cities follow. Once 100 South open's up, it will be a game changer. I think the NHL coming downtown, the new entertainment district, it's just a massive opportunity that I hope becomes a reality.

Old Posted Today, 5:16 AM

Quote:
What are the odds of another 40 story building being proposed in the next few months? I'm thinking nonzero.

With Smith's statements about employee housing close to the DC, I think we see at least one 20+ story one and maybe more.
At this point, I'm starting to think anything is possible. I am hoping for a new NFL/MLS stadium, next to a TRAX station, surrounded by four mixed use, supertalls with ground floor retail.

Old Posted Today, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Does this big investment downtown help out any other existing tower projects? Does it make it easier in any way for Hines/Domain to get financing?

Also, what are the odds that the city pushes back and asks for the team to be named "Salt Lake" since SLC is the only city paying for this?
Odds of the name being Salt Lake? 0
It's really not a big deal tbh, Minneapolis has 4 major sports teams and none have the city name. No matter what it's called it will still be nice to have the teams here in SLC.

Old Posted Today, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
At this point, I'm starting to think anything is possible. I am hoping for a new NFL/MLS stadium, next to a TRAX station, surrounded by four mixed use, supertalls with ground floor retail.
Yep, Dubai of North America is what SLC will become.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West