HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:55 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
A symbol to what? Value Engineering? Mismanagement?
In respect to the previous towers that were twins.

We all know the design could have been better but it's what was chosen and it makes its mark.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
In respect to the previous towers that were twins.

We all know the design could have been better but it's what was chosen and it makes its mark.
True. But it seems they won't be going that route anyway according to recent designs.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtrade2021 View Post
Render by CNTower246810 on skyscrapercity forums about how 2 World Trade Center might look like when viewed from the north if it was 1410 feet tall instead of the currently stated 1350 feet and sans the green roof terraces.

Imo it fits in with 3 World Trade Center in a way but looks completely out of place when viewed alongside 1 World Trade Center. If this is what it will look like, it will be obvious even visually that 2 World Trade Center was constructed at a much different time than the rest of the towers on the site were. However, the texture of the tower in this render looks much more original and unique than the texture in the renders by Visualhouse (which showed a more continuously light blue colored glass facade).
IMHO I think this is the 2nd best design after Foster's original diamond topped tower. It obviously does have that look like it is not built in the same time period which I think is okay. I think it breaks up the same design pattern while not detracting from it too much.

I do like how when viewed from this angle (from the north) that it has the "stepped up" effect leading up the 1 WTC. I also like the view from the south/southwest giving the true height effect next to 1 WTC like the orginal Twin Towers had. As much as I love it, to me, Foster's original diamond tower looked like it has it's back turned away from the city when viewed from its north/northeast side. Just my thoughts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittywhompus View Post
IMHO I think this is the 2nd best design after Foster's original diamond topped tower. It obviously does have that look like it is not built in the same time period which I think is okay. I think it breaks up the same design pattern while not detracting from it too much.

I do like how when viewed from this angle (from the north) that it has the "stepped up" effect leading up the 1 WTC. I also like the view from the south/southwest giving the true height effect next to 1 WTC like the orginal Twin Towers had. As much as I love it, to me, Foster's original diamond tower looked like it has it's back turned away from the city when viewed from its north/northeast side. Just my thoughts.
I agree about Foster's original diamond tower. While the slanted diamond design was nice and sophisticated looking, it didn't capture the "twin" aspect of the original WTC, and part of that was its lack of a rectangular box appearance at the top. The "twin" aspect and rectangular box shape of the towers is what really gave the original WTC complex its larger than life impression imo.

The "stepped up" effect of 2 WTC leading up to 1 WTC is similar to BIG's design when viewed from the north, although a lot less exaggerated and toy-like looking. As with BIG's design, the "twin" aspect is most visible when viewing 1 and 2 WTC from the west across the Hudson or from the southwest and southeast from Brooklyn.

However this is just a render and it is not yet certain that this is the final design. The only indication is that this is just one of the prospective redesigns by Fosters + Partners (the other redesign being the one leaked by YIMBY in November 2021 which others on New York YIMBY forums and skyscrapercity have speculated might be the design used if the tower is built on spec).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Am loving this newest 1,410' proposal with all the terraces! The icing on the cake would be a public space for observatory in the uppermost part of the building! This may also mean one will be surrounded by trees, fresh air and amazing aesthetics as well in this newest experience as well! Also, can bring back the title of the highest observatory in the country and also returning the title to NYC for the highest outdoor observatory in the world! If not an observatory, at least a restaurant with a balcony~~
Yes the flattened shape of the highest roof level and lack of satellites or radio transmission equipment (unlike in BIG's design) would make the top-most roof level an ideal place for an outdoor observation deck. There could also be a windows on the world style restaurant below. It would be like a two-in-one experience of the old 1 and 2 WTC, just this time in the single last major tower to be constructed on the 16 acre site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
I would absolutely love a new Top of the World Observatory.
Sorry but One World Observatory just isn't great and I think it largely has to do with it being inside instead of outside.
The menu at that observatory is limited, the views are too open (a bad setting for a restaurant imo), the space itself seems really small and more like a ordinary cafeteria and tourist shop packed into one...but with all the cost overruns of building 1 WTC that's what was eventually decided, as operating a full fledged restaurant and higher scale facilities were deemed too expensive.

That could again happen with 2 WTC, so at the very least they should at least put together non-negotiable plans for an outdoor observation deck at the highest roof level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Kudos to AN for asking. Hopefully they hear something back.
Hopefully they do hear back soon, but it seems like all interests on the site are more focused on getting the PAC and St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church finished and the start of ground breaking on 5 WTC moving before they pay more attention to 2 WTC. Which is a shame because a lot of people are now asking about why there isn't anything vertically built at the site of the new 2 WTC, with some people concluding that 2 WTC will never be built and that 1 WTC is the sole (underwhelming) replacement for the twin towers.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:58 AM
BANNED

#cntower246810 drafted these:

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 7:24 PM
DENNAB

I like this a lot, could this be exactly what they'll build?

It's a beast like the old WTC and 1WTC (Beast = 400m roof)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:21 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:29 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

I'd much prefer something with a cleaner top, but the Detroit in me is saying, "Whatever, just build something. I'll take it."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 6:37 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I aint gonna lie the more I look at the renderings it's giving me new vibes mixed with some features taken from the original twins.

I do like it as well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:17 AM

Quote:
I aint gonna lie the more I look at the renderings it's giving me new vibes mixed with some features taken from the original twins.

I do like it as well.
Yes! Agree. I wish they would do the 1411' roof or at least 1362' like the original 2WTC used to be. Imagine looking up from the WTC memorial and seeing the similar roof heights like the former twins.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

I do like it as well.

i was afraid to say that, but same here.

kind of uncanny, almost.

and yet i am glad they went for that effect.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:

I do like it as well.
Yes specifically the rendering looking from the northwest. That was unlike from that angle with BIG's design, where it looked more like stacked boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i was afraid to say that, but same here.

kind of uncanny, almost.

and yet i am glad they went for that effect.
This design is still not absolutely confirmed and as the past has shown the design is still subject to change, especially the longer construction is delayed. Hopefully not but there is a chance this still may not be the final design for when the tower is actually constructed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 2:16 AM
BANNED

TK2000 found this.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 2:56 AM
New Yorker for life

The job is not complete until Towers 2 and 5 are up. Hoping Tower 2 has a huge presence.

FEBRUARY 12, 2022

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 10:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 11:07 AM
BANNED

It’s great that Foster is credited for the image, as it confirms that this is, in fact, his design.

This tower is AMAZING! Only in New York: the Greatest City in the World!

Last edited by JMKeynes; Feb 15, 2022 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 1:16 PM

Around 1350 feet height? So much for this being taller than 1 WTC roof height. What a shame. It really had a nice impact at ~1400 feet in the renders.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 6:14 PM

I love Fosters! Fosters = Industrial Chic!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Assuming that we, in fact, have seen the final version of 2 WTC, I could not be happier with the WTC. We will have 5 beautiful and unique towers.

The Greatest City in the World just keeps getting better.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:36 PM

I totally disagree. I couldn’t be more unhappy with the WTC project as a whole. I think the treatment to the victims and survivors of the attacks are not being honored in anyway by 20+ years of construction. Further, what does it show to the terrorists themselves if they wait decades to finish the project, especially since there is no explicit reason delaying the project?

Not to mention the lack of rebuilding twin towers. Or the fact that 1 WTC lost its decorative spire. And 3 WTC was reduced in scale and height and lost its spires.

In my opinion, they should have rebuilt the twin towers each at 1500 feet roof height, with one WTC having a spire reaching 2000 feet (or more).

Also, where is 6 WTC?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction