HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:26 PM

One more thing on the LV thing. The midblock location could be an indicator perhaps that LV the entity leased the space but maybe not for an LV store? They own 13 fashion brands and another 51 brands in miscellaneous industries.

It owns Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, Fendi, Loewe, Givenchy, Celine, Tag Heuer, etc etc etc.

Or differently, it could be a play for the company generally...opening an LV store would generate so much traffic that it in turn could use the momentum to open other stores in the portfolio.

The youngest brands (in terms of demographics) in its portfolio are Kenzo, Loewe, and Marc Jacobs. I think Kenzo and Loewe in particular are better suited for a Walnut Street location over a KOP location. So who knows. Lots of possibilities.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
One more thing on the LV thing. The midblock location could be an indicator perhaps that LV the entity leased the space but maybe not for an LV store? They own 13 fashion brands and another 51 brands in miscellaneous industries.

It owns Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, Fendi, Loewe, Givenchy, Celine, Tag Heuer, etc etc etc.

Or differently, it could be a play for the company generally...opening an LV store would generate so much traffic that it in turn could use the momentum to open other stores in the portfolio.

The youngest brands (in terms of demographics) in its portfolio are Kenzo, Loewe, and Marc Jacobs. I think Kenzo and Loewe in particular are better suited for a Walnut Street location over a KOP location. So who knows. Lots of possibilities.
It’s definitely an intriguing development for Walnut and a potential game changer if it ends up being any of those brands. I just wish we had more information that this indeed is official. It really does feel like Walnut is turning a corner in a significant way after going through a rut over the last few years. I imagine Arlo and Aritiza will bring even more foot traffic. Weird that the old Ulta space hasn’t been leased yet. Seems like it has a decent, upgraded floor plate that would be suitable for a lot of retail uses.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Northbank updates, along with plans for trail connectivity in the area. These trails would be an massive win for anyone who lives there, as it is still cut off from the rest of the neighborhood.

I just found an old video about the master plan for the Northbank development, they are selling it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cC-fhQ4WnQ

From what I've heard the quality of townhouses is subpar, the whole development is in a flood zone and there are no real barriers to flooding.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryphilly View Post
From what I've heard the quality of townhouses is subpar, the whole development is in a flood zone and there are no real barriers to flooding.
It’s such a weird place - I’m astounded every time i drive past at the scale of the development and the desolation surrounding it. How do i get to your new house? Oh it’s right off the highway ramp, drive past the creepy sign holders, then look for the derelict-looking (but fully functional) Kawa Warehouse and the Building Supply Company - right back there. It’s where quaint went to die I guess.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuryphilly View Post
I just found an old video about the master plan for the Northbank development, they are selling it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cC-fhQ4WnQ

I think someone on here lives here and has commented previously. I think there are multiple builders with varying quality. The flood plane seems to be a real concern maybe they can chime in with what sold them being next to a raging river in times of a climate crisis.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I think someone on here lives here and has commented previously. I think there are multiple builders with varying quality. The flood plane seems to be a real concern maybe they can chime in with what sold them being next to a raging river in times of a climate crisis.
Delaware river rarely, if ever, floods this far down- it's probably due to width and depth in Philadelphia. By the time you are down by the airport the river is almost a mile across, so the volume of water it can handle is substantial, even when the schulkyll floods it barely makes a dent in the delaware because of the capacity difference.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I live here. We're 22 feet above sea level. On something of a bluff. High enough that FEMA doesn't require flood insurance, though I've purchased it myself.

Yes it's isolated. Talk to me in 5 years when we've fully latched into the grid, all the warehouses are gone and replaced by multi-family buildings with ground floor retail, we're connected to the trails, have our own high performing elementary school, and have the highest income in Philadelphia.

Yes I know it's weird but you don't move here for what it is today. You move here for what it will be 5 years from now. More than anything, what I've learned from being here is that there is a huge market for new construction in Philadelphia and if there was more space for neighborhoods like this the city would be growing a lot faster.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who want to be in Philadelphia but don't want to live in a 14 foot wide 100 year old house with nob and tube wiring and don't want to do a full on reno. And they don't want to live in a new construction in fill house on a shitty street full of trash with overhead wires and gun shots around the corner.

It's not rocket science, really. There are 1000 homes in this neighborhood. About 350 are sold and settled. Another 100 or so are under contract.

It will get better over time for sure. We have nearly daily street cleaning, private trash collection in actual trash cans with lids that don't blow trash all over the neighborhood, a full time landscaping crew that walks around the neighborhood all day picking weeds and trash, quiet solitude and the beautiful river 50 feet away.

Have a nice day everyone!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:10 PM

From what I understand, developers built up the site out of the 100 year floodplain. Therefore, they should be alright.

You can say it’s remote now and people are crazy for buying there, but as development progresses up this way, these homes are going to appreciate exponentially, especially being on the waterfront. Within 5-10 years, they’ll be fully interconnected to the development along the waterfront, and therefore Fishtown/Olde Richmond.

Remember, 20 years ago, people said Bart Blatstein was crazy for building the Piazza in NoLibs

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:10 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It’s such a weird place - I’m astounded every time i drive past at the scale of the development and the desolation surrounding it. How do i get to your new house? Oh it’s right off the highway ramp, drive past the creepy sign holders, then look for the derelict-looking (but fully functional) Kawa Warehouse and the Building Supply Company - right back there. It’s where quaint went to die I guess.

Quote:
Yes I know it's weird but you don't move here for what it is today. You move here for what it will be 5 years from now. More than anything, what I've learned from being here is that there is a huge market for new construction in Philadelphia and if there was more space for neighborhoods like this the city would be growing a lot faster.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who want to be in Philadelphia but don't want to live in a 14 foot wide 100 year old house with nob and tube wiring and don't want to do a full on reno. And they don't want to live in a new construction in fill house on a shitty street full of trash with overhead wires and gun shots around the corner.

It's not rocket science, really. There are 1000 homes in this neighborhood. About 350 are sold and settled. Another 100 or so are under contract.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I live here. We're 22 feet above sea level. On something of a bluff. High enough that FEMA doesn't require flood insurance, though I've purchased it myself.

Yes it's isolated. Talk to me in 5 years when we've fully latched into the grid, all the warehouses are gone and replaced by multi-family buildings with ground floor retail, we're connected to the trails, have our own high performing elementary school, and have the highest income in Philadelphia.

It will get better over time for sure. We have nearly daily street cleaning, private trash collection in actual trash cans with lids that don't blow trash all over the neighborhood, a full time landscaping crew that walks around the neighborhood all day picking weeds and trash, quiet solitude and the beautiful river 50 feet away.

Have a nice day everyone!
Good info thanks! Agree with all except maybe the income part, but not trying to start a two page long battle on that

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 6:47 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Some people on this forum crack me up, complaining about a major project that is the catalyst for the Northern Part of Delaware River saying its cheap & just built in a flood plain is crazy.

Last time I checked, homes with Elevators & a riverfront view are not cheap or poorly built.
Construction issues aside.

Ive been in that neighborhood & its nice. Im extremely happy for anyone who can purchase those homes & live a good life, that development is a major win for the area & pushes the the city up more.

Not to mention that the warehouse in front of that development with Kawa & the homeland security crew that protect that area around 95 is clean & well taken care of.

I wonder if some of the forum users ACTUALLY live in the city

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Delaware river rarely, if ever, floods this far down- it's probably due to width and depth in Philadelphia. By the time you are down by the airport the river is almost a mile across, so the volume of water it can handle is substantial, even when the schulkyll floods it barely makes a dent in the delaware because of the capacity difference.
Deleware ave has flooded several times in the past couple of years beyond driving conditions. Hell, the connecting underpass on Arch has an 'art' installation showing the major floods and their levels. Yes it has much more capacity than the Schuylkill but Delaware definitely floods out as well.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:35 PM
Philly Pholly

I always thought these would be desirable.
I had always hoped the city would have accrued some riverfront property back when it was nearly worthless to form a great waterfront park. As it is now it's simply a promenade along the water. Disappointing opportunity lost.
Is there any retail within walking distance?
I think they would have done well to include some apartment buildings with retail, perhaps a more walkable neighborhood.
It looks very private. In a parklike setting. Very pleasant and convenient to a lot.
But it appears to me that you will have to drive for everything. Maybe Beach or Main Street will become a retail corridor.
All the new construction along the waterfront and flooding never being addressed is criminal and will prove to be a huge mistake.
I think the city underestimated the peoples desire to live near the water.

Last edited by SEFTA; Jun 2, 2023 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 12:15 PM

Arent there plans to Add commercial on Del Ave at that location? I swore I saw I rendering of that years back…

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 4:22 PM

https://www.alstom.com/press-release...-rail-vehicles

I feel like there was an announcement about this earlier this winter.

but damn, I cannot get my head around seeing these rolling down Girard or Baltimore Ave

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 4:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 11:51 PM

Rittenhouse has been packed the last few days. I’m sure part of it is the art show but it really felt like NYC on Walnut this afternoon. So many people out shopping and enjoying themselves. Love to see the city doing well.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 2:31 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Arent there plans to Add commercial on Del Ave at that location? I swore I saw I rendering of that years back…
Yep, plans call for one commercial space in the mixed-use building (80 units) at the southern end of the site on what is technically just north of where Del. Ave. turns into Richmond St. (which would be just off the right side of this rendering)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 3:34 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Rittenhouse has been packed the last few days. I’m sure part of it is the art show but it really felt like NYC on Walnut this afternoon. So many people out shopping and enjoying themselves. Love to see the city doing well.
The Rittenhouse Art Festival is one of the best in the nation. I'm sad I couldn't make it this year, but glad the weather is great.

It's also Pride weekend and the Ed Sheeran concert.
Busy weekend for Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 8:54 PM

I walked by the Walnut Garden on Saturday probably sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 and there was a bit of a waiting line to get into the door. The place looked packed. Seems like there was a little play area for kids towards the front left side as you look in.

This adds a whole new element of vibrancy to that stretch. A very good use of an empty lot. Is this just a one year thing and then construction begins next year?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development