HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:55 AM
Look at me!

Rene-Levesque has a good 10-20 years left of developmentt before I will deem it complete. Also it is in dire need of new sidewalks, street furniture, new lightining scheme and trees and foliage.

It will never be an exciting street, but it has the potential to be a showcase street in terms of design and usage of space.

But yeah, it has come far in the last 10 years. When you think about it theyve been working on it since the 50's. Its been a long time coming.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:08 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Rene-Levesque has a good 10-20 years left of developmentt before I will deem it complete. Also it is in dire need of new sidewalks, street furniture, new lightining scheme and trees and foliage.

It will never be an exciting street, but it has the potential to be a showcase street in terms of design and usage of space.

But yeah, it has come far in the last 10 years. When you think about it theyve been working on it since the 50's. Its been a long time coming.
I stayed at a hotel on Rene-Levesque a few years ago and couldn't help thinking that it could become a vibrant, busy, exciting street one day. The pedestrian experience wasn't good but there's so much potential there.

The public realm needs a big upgrade. Wider sidewalks, greenery, granite, benches, and good lighting go a long way. The second issue is how many of these buildings meet the street. A lot of these buildings don't interact with the sidewalk, there's little retail, and long gaps of nothing. These issues are very fixable but will take many years to achieve.

There's no reason why Rene Levesque can't one day become a grand avenue as good as one anywhere else.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:01 PM
Community Guy

Might not be deep at points, but it sure is long. Jasper Avenue

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 2:39 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 5:46 AM
ARTchitecture

The 6th Avenue Canyon, 3 kilometers long with 17 towers over 100 meters tall along its path, 4 of them being over 200 meters.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:19 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:10 PM
Ocean Breeze

West Georgia Street At Night by Janis Brass https://www.flickr.com/photos/janisb...M3P923-29bvka8

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:53 PM

[IMG]Down The Middle by kotsy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Yonge Morning by kotsy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

/\ Amazing ones !

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:17 PM

It's amazing what framing can do. I've been to Montreal 11 times and I have of course walked Yonge countless times and my last two workplaces are at York and Adelaide (past 8 years). Walking along these places so many times I wouldn't get the feeling of an "urban canyon". Just didn't think about it that way. But frame these locations like above and it transforms your perspective.

Now that this cluster of buildings is framed like this, I just realized all the connections I have to them. The power of a single photo!

- I visit Scotia Plaza weekly for business deposits and my aunt worked there for several years.

- Two distant relatives work in First Canadian Place. Also got a job there at BMO but declined.

- My sister interned at Trump Tower when it was still called that.

- British friend on a work visa worked in that Thomson Reuters building across the street.

- I worked in that building being re-cladded. Also a scene from the movie Enemy was filmed there. That is a top 3 Canadian movie IMO.

- My current workplace has the mortgage on one of these buildings.

- A few years ago I was walking by that Northbridge building, which I think is a cool design, and there was a delivery truck stuck at the parking garage entrance. The refrigeration unit on top of the truck did not clear the garage and smashed into the panelling above. I was talking to the security and he said it was like some custom marble they imported from Italy and it was going to be a very expensive fix.

- Just behind this shot is The Merchant, which used to be Fionn Macool's. Three years ago there was a body on the patio just above the sidewalk tarped and roped off but with guy's arm sticking out and a pool of blood. It was there first in the morning. We all discovered it as we streamed into the office and could see out our windows.

It was an interesting study in human nature for the next three hours as at least a dozen people would walk by and quickly but casually snapped a photo. One even did a selfie.

Coroner came in took the body and then a cleaning crew came out and power washed everything. The patio opened just in time for lunch and people were dining right on the spot that not even an hour ago had a dead body.

We kept checking the news to see if the guy was murdered. Not a single piece of news about this, which lead us to believe it was death by misadventure. But the guy was on the left side of this patio:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64904.../data=!3m1!1e3

If he were on the right side he could have jumped from a 10 foot platform. But being on the left side, he would have had to jump from the top of the building if it were suicide. But if that were the case, there would have been splatter I'd imagine. Not a small, concentrated pool of blood.

It remains a total mystery.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 5:05 PM

Coincidentally a huge Falun Gong parade/protest just passed through the urban canyon two pics above. Unauthorized I assume.

Was eating in the lunch room and heard a marching band. Looked down and said oh that's looks like fun. But then came the banners demanding the end of human organ harvesting by the Chinese gov't and calling communism evil.

Of course, this caused traffic to snarl behind. And only saw two bike cops behind and one that blocked the intersection of University and Adelaide.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:59 PM
Montérégien

Boulevard Robert-Bourassa (formerly known as University)
Montréal, August 5

Montreal Night by Xiaobing Fan, on 500px

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:28 PM

^ Cool shot.

[IMG]009 by Josh D, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:02 PM
Look at me!

I love University (Or Robert-whateverdaphuck) from that angle, it presents a solid mix of 30's pre-war, late 50's classicism, 60's modernism and brutalism, along with 80's and 90's PoMo and 2010's meh.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Aug 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:30 PM

[IMG]University Avenue by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 5:36 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
^ Cool shot.

[IMG]009 by Josh D, on Flickr[/IMG]
Is there decent streetlife/pedestrian traffic now south of the tracks? Is Bremner/Fork York Blvd busy?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Is there decent streetlife/pedestrian traffic now south of the tracks? Is Bremner/Fork York Blvd busy?

It's not very interesting, but it sure is busy. There are a whole lot of people living & working down there now, after all.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

There's definitely stuff down there now. Restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. Granted not the kind of places I'd go to outside of a lunchtime / right after work situation, but it's certainly busy.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:22 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It's not very interesting, but it sure is busy. There are a whole lot of people living & working down there now, after all.
I haven't been there much at all since the area has gotten built up. Seems a bit like a futuristic Singapore/Hong Kong vibe going on there. We'll have to check it out the next time we're in town.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:17 PM

When the podium across the road is complete with the new office block it should animate more. I only shared that image because I also was impressed by the amount of foot traffic shown in it. And nobody is wearing a Jays shirt so it can't have been a game night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada