HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
This is the problem with alumni....and this goes to alumni from all universities across the country. Just because you attended a school for 2 to 6 years doesn't mean you get to dictate the future of the campus and students. Alumni are just a blink in an institution's history. ASU will be around for decades...perhaps hundreds of years after yesterday's Alumni have been long gone.

Stop dictating what a school should do for todays students and the future. I think the building looks fantastic and modern...the way it should.
Agree to an extent. But it's not just attending for 2 to 6 years. When ASU is soliciting donations from alumni, and alumni and other donors are topping $200m in donations every year for the past 3 years, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have some input. I do agree with the specific point that input on building design decisions is probably a step too far (especially when the design is pretty good ).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
This is the problem with alumni....and this goes to alumni from all universities across the country. Just because you attended a school for 2 to 6 years doesn't mean you get to dictate the future of the campus and students. Alumni are just a blink in an institution's history. ASU will be around for decades...perhaps hundreds of years after yesterday's Alumni have been long gone.

Stop dictating what a school should do for todays students and the future. I think the building looks fantastic and modern...the way it should.
I had a friend of mine from Vancouver, about 4 or 5 years ago he was in town and went to check out thunderbird as he liked AZ and was thinking about going there.

So I drove him way out to the Glendale campus he was underwhelmed to say the least. I know that's just one lost opportunity for the school and the city but im sure it was far from the first.

so this is a very good move.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
As expected, there are complaints on social media from alumni. One calls the new building a "steel cage."
Jones Studio is a local firm with international acclaim. They just won multiple awards for the law school that they designed right next door - a few alumni's with shit taste do not concern me.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 12:50 PM
self-important urbanista

Short video from ASU explaining the decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-yQyTW7No

The one comment talks about the "mystique" of the current Glendale campus.

It's a decent suburban neighborhood. My sister-in-law lives half a mile away, and my nephew can walk to a good school and park. It's hardly a logical area for an international business school, though. Public transit is limited to two low-frequency bus routes, and there is little within walking distance. The only "mystique" I see is perhaps an unfulfilled plan for all the undeveloped land that borders the campus.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Short video from ASU explaining the decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-yQyTW7No

The one comment talks about the "mystique" of the current Glendale campus.

It's a decent suburban neighborhood. My sister-in-law lives half a mile away, and my nephew can walk to a good school and park. It's hardly a logical area for an international business school, though. Public transit is limited to two low-frequency bus routes, and there is little within walking distance. The only "mystique" I see is perhaps an unfulfilled plan for all the undeveloped land that borders the campus.
mys·tique
miˈstēk/Submit
noun
a fascinating aura of mystery, awe, and power surrounding someone or something.

LOL - NO that campus has none of this. It is renowned and as such should be in the proper center of our city so I like this move personally. I grew up by Cactus High School on Greenway and always thought that campus seemed more like a small community college campus or maybe a religious seminary but definitely not befitting of a world renowned school . . .

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:41 PM
self-important urbanista

So here's the answer to where Thunderbird will go while waiting for its new building and who will occupy the renovated Arizona Center while new tenants are found:

https://downtowndevil.com/2018/01/24...n-thunderbird/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:43 PM
self-important urbanista

...and here's news of some upcoming development at the biomedical campus by ASU (not UA): https://downtowndevil.com/2018/01/24...pus-expansion/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 PM

If they expect completion in 2019 and it takes 18 months to complete then construction should be starting any day.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:12 PM

Mas cranes! Mas cranes!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
The campus expansion will take place between Garfield, Fourth and Sixth streets. The first phase will be completed in 2019, including a seven story lab building, a parking structure and several temporary use spaces, according to early draft plans.
this should probably be starting construction fairly soon, Thunderbird will start near phase 1 completion and then phase 2 would need to begin around the time Thunderbird is completed.

ASU is in for 4+ years of nonstop projects downtown!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:21 PM

Light rail was a moderately big deal for central phoenix but the asu campus really was the game changer, glad they pushed so hard to get that done.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Light rail was a moderately big deal for central phoenix but the asu campus really was the game changer, glad they pushed so hard to get that done.
Got off work a little early so I drove around downtown to take a look at the projects.

(Link is already vertical about 15-20 feet)

Seeing all the students walking around was great, the whole area from AZ center down to Stadiums was jammed with pedestrians it was about 3pm.

The character of downtown has completely changed.

Roosevelt was also quite busy but the space between Roosevelt and Fillmore is still a little bit of a no-mans land.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:30 PM

yeah, I was downtown sunday between about 630 and 800, it was a little reminiscent of the old eerie ghost town I remember ten years ago. It's not there yet, but getting closer.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Roosevelt was also quite busy but the space between Roosevelt and Fillmore is still a little bit of a no-mans land.
I blame the vacant lots on McKinley.

Excited for this to change with The Stewart, eventually Derby and then east to the ASU expansion.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I blame the vacant lots on McKinley.

Excited for this to change with The Stewart, eventually Derby and then east to the ASU expansion.
Link, Stewart, Derby Im sure we will see it fill in over the next 10 years with lots of residential. I am interested in potential office expansion east/south of the Current core.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:00 PM

Who is out anywhere on a Sunday between 6:30 - 8:00pm?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Who is out anywhere on a Sunday between 6:30 - 8:00pm?
During dinner time? It's not unreasonable to see people out in a big city on any night of the week. Sunday this place was just deserted, I went blocks without seeing another person.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
During dinner time? It's not unreasonable to see people out in a big city on any night of the week. Sunday this place was just deserted, I went blocks without seeing another person.
Even new York city is noticeably dead on Sunday night.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:59 PM

You guys are really stretching to make it seem like Phoenix is a hotbed...

Look, the city is better than it used to be but it's not quite there yet. Just accept/admit that and lets move on to something else. I'm not saying I expected 20 people waiting for the walk sign at each intersection but I walked from Whining Pig to Angel's Trumpet and could count on one hand how many people I saw. If you're telling me that's normal for a big city (especially New York, as you mentioned) you're high as a kite.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
You guys are really stretching to make it seem like Phoenix is a hotbed...

Look, the city is better than it used to be but it's not quite there yet. Just accept/admit that and lets move on to something else. I'm not saying I expected 20 people waiting for the walk sign at each intersection but I walked from Whining Pig to Angel's Trumpet and could count on one hand how many people I saw. If you're telling me that's normal for a big city (especially New York, as you mentioned) you're high as a kite.
I'm high? Your the one judging population by Sunday night dinnertime

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest