HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Don't know if this is new info, but its new for me and may be for you.... Development firm Fulcrum has filed plans for land on West Sacramento's riverfront between Tower Bridge and the Ziggurat, with apartments, a hotel, restaurant and retail space. This "sketch view" looks east, across the river toward downtown Sacramento.
FULCRUM///https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento
Yah you can find more info on the West Sacramento thread below.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Ha ha ha! I wish.

No, their goal is never-ending. They lost that round, but they'll keep punching to gain whatever ground they can. Just like football, it's a game of inches. They probably can't beat a billion-dollar company, but they can get traction against a million-dollar one. They can certainly force a regular family, who inherited just a couple of the myriad old bungalows in the central city, to give up and renovate, instead of tearing them down and building 3 or 4 times as many housing units. That family didn't have the cash or the time.

Time... another key to them winning. I don't know about you, but this recovery we've experienced over the past decade didn't do much for me. Yeah, it lined the pockets of a few and shot stock prices up beyond what's reasonable. However, all America did was spend and inflate our way out of an economic crisis that started because of too much spending and printing of money. All the Mods have to do delay things just enough... the market crash is inevitable.

The housing crisis, new laws and the state’s initiative to build more urban housing is putting pressure on officials to approve new infill over the objections of preservationists, at least in regard to questionable historical value. I’m all for preserving truly historical buildings and maintaining the scale of residential streets. What’s happening in Midtown now is building a number of rental units behind the old house-apts. This preserves the original but adds more housing.

As for the economy and future that’s a whole other discussion.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:21 PM

Broadway

I know this is probably a relatively small project, but can anyone fill me on the details of this proposal for a building on 17th and Broadway?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen..._news_headline

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachornet View Post
I know this is probably a relatively small project, but can anyone fill me on the details of this proposal for a building on 17th and Broadway?

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen..._news_headline
Two buildings will be hallowed out and will become the shell of two new retail spaces. The second and third floor will be apartments with no garage spaces as they are close enough to the light rail station to not need them.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:31 PM

Low Impact

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:59 AM

I read the article. I like it the project. Remodeling a decrepit old building and adding a 3-story building behind is good for that tiny corner lot. Heck, anything would be a humungous boost at this point. Plus, there will be some retail, office, an assembly space, and anywhere from approximately 6 to 12 dwelling units (some new, some remodeled). A little bit of everything. No matter what time of day, there will be a lot more life on that corner. It is a good thing. Combined with all the other projects in the pipeline and yet to be proposed along Broadway, I think they'll all combine to make one, big impact. Plus, this project is actually doable.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I read the article. I like it the project. Remodeling a decrepit old building and adding a 3-story building behind is good for that tiny corner lot. Heck, anything would be a humungous boost at this point. Plus, there will be some retail, office, an assembly space, and anywhere from approximately 6 to 12 dwelling units (some new, some remodeled). A little bit of everything. No matter what time of day, there will be a lot more life on that corner. It is a good thing. Combined with all the other projects in the pipeline and yet to be proposed along Broadway, I think they'll all combine to make one, big impact. Plus, this project is actually doable.
Thanks for the info. My grandparents were members of the Wong Association, so I have some vague memories of going into that building a few times during my childhood.

I'm looking forward to what can be done with the old Tower Records/books/video site now that Dimples is closing. Does anyone know who owns that site or if they plan to sell?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:31 PM

Looks like the crane is going up soon at the Hotel next to the arena.

Captiol Towers "garden apartments" almost fully demolished along with that overgrown forest. Glad that suburban crap is gone. I also hope they remove and plan smaller trees on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Looks like the crane is going up soon at the Hotel next to the arena.

Captiol Towers "garden apartments" almost fully demolished along with that overgrown forest. Glad that suburban crap is gone. I also hope they remove and plan smaller trees on the sidewalk.
What are they planning to build there?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanquest View Post
What are they planning to build there?
At the Crapitol Towers site?

They’re building phase one of the Sacramento Commons project:
Demolition of 86 existing apartments on 5th street and building a 218-unit, 7-story structure, with 2090 square-feet of ground floor retail.

Should that be successful and the developer gets more investment, I think they’ll build a second, similar structure. In future phases, there is a possibility that 2 or 3 high rises would be built, with a mix of upscale apartments or condos, retail, a hotel, and office space.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:43 AM

Quote:
At the Crapitol Towers site?

They’re building phase one of the Sacramento Commons project:
Demolition of 86 existing apartments on 5th street and building a 218-unit, 7-story structure, with 2090 square-feet of ground floor retail.

Should that be successful and the developer gets more investment, I think they’ll build a second, similar structure. In future phases, there is a possibility that 2 or 3 high rises would be built, with a mix of upscale apartments or condos, retail, a hotel, and office space.
Thanks

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:01 AM
Here we stAy

Pretty sure they're building both mid-rises simultaneously as there's too much investment in re-configuring the site and flat work/landscape to go in and build one after the other.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Pretty sure they're building both mid-rises simultaneously as there's too much investment in re-configuring the site and flat work/landscape to go in and build one after the other.
Hmmmmmm....

I based my information on the following SBJ article:

Sacramento Commons construction about to begin
By Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Jul 17, 2019, 1:45pm PDT
Updated Jul 17, 2019, 7:45pm EDT

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...-to-begin.html

Quote:
Demolition of 86 existing apartments at the Sacramento Commons site on Fifth Street will begin around Aug. 1, followed by construction of a new seven-story, 218-unit structure.
According to the Downtown Sacramento Partnership website...

Quote:
Phase 1 of the Sacramento Commons Project will be a 7-story, mixed-use residential building that will include 218 units and 2,090 sq. ft. of retail space. Demolition of the current structures on the site will begin summer 2019 and construction of the new structure will continue into 2021.
https://www.downtownsac.org/project/...mmons-phase-1/

Now, my high school state exams may have only resulted in a so-so reading comprehension score, but I think my interpretation of those excerpts is pretty sound: Phase 1 will be a singular apartment structure.

Last edited by snfenoc; Aug 21, 2019 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 PM

I do find it odd they are doing it in two phases years apart. The base units are being added to downtown proper is much too slow. I'm concerned retail retention at DOCO and K street is going to be a problem until downtown proper reaches a critical mass that we are still very far away from.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I do find it odd they are doing it in two phases years apart. The base units are being added to downtown proper is much too slow. I'm concerned retail retention at DOCO and K street is going to be a problem until downtown proper reaches a critical mass that we are still very far away from.
I don't find it odd. Phasing of large-scale development plans seems par for the course. It's not just about demand. It's also about supply: Supply of investment dollars; supply of available contractors and labor; supply of materials; and supply of who knows what else?

Also, I can understand if maybe the developer wants to see how well the first phase works before committing hundreds of millions of dollars to more development.

With regard to DOCO, I could not agree more with your concern about retail retention. While it does, pretty much, have a captive audience of arena-goers, that's also the problem: DOCO does not feel well-connected to the rest of downtown. It's like an adult theme-park for the rich that is almost an island unto itself. I wish DOCO had a lot of retail that wrapped around to J and L streets. Heck, I wish DOCO just plain had a lot more retail - it's kind of sparse. Plus, there is not a lot of housing around it. They should have built a few stories of housing on top of Downtown Plaza's remains. Plus, we're still waiting for 8th and K to be developed. The Kings got a screaming' deal and, frankly, they've yet to hold up their end.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_deguzman10 View Post
Yah you can find more info on the West Sacramento thread below.
Thank You

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:39 PM

Any news on the Metropolitan, John Saca Sotiris Kolokotronis, Presidents of SKK Development????? And how true is this:
Clark is constructing a new trial court facility comprised of 53 courtrooms for judges and support staff for the Judicial Council of California in Sacramento.

Clark is performing the site development and construction of the 543,290-square-foot, 17-story building, which includes a mechanical penthouse and interior improvements, as well as mechanical, electrical, telecommunications, audio/visual, and security systems. The project team will also construct approximately 70 secure basement parking spaces for judges and executive staff.

This will be Clark’s third job with the Judicial Council of California.

The project is designed to achieve LEED® Silver certification. Construction is scheduled to begin in October 2019, and completion is slated for December 2022.
And last but not least new Vanir Tower concept , is this project dead?????

Last edited by novatone82; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Any news on the Metropolitan, John Saca Sotiris Kolokotronis, Presidents of SKK Development????? And how true is this:
Clark is constructing a new trial court facility comprised of 53 courtrooms for judges and support staff for the Judicial Council of California in Sacramento.

Clark is performing the site development and construction of the 543,290-square-foot, 17-story building, which includes a mechanical penthouse and interior improvements, as well as mechanical, electrical, telecommunications, audio/visual, and security systems. The project team will also construct approximately 70 secure basement parking spaces for judges and executive staff.

This will be Clark’s third job with the Judicial Council of California.

The project is designed to achieve LEED® Silver certification. Construction is scheduled to begin in October 2019, and completion is slated for December 2022.
And last but not least new Vanir Tower concept , is this project dead?????
The Metropolitan project is dead. Last summer’s announcement regarding SKK and Saca teaming up was a PR move to buy Saca more time and save any reputation he had left. But there isn’t a proposal. Same goes with Vanir. Don’t expect anything from them.

On the other hand, The new county courthouse is happening. I believe they will start construction sometime in winter/spring.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:38 PM

Anyone have an update on the Cathedral Square project?

https://anthemunited.com/news/2018/0...-downtown-sac/

Looks like the entitlements were set to expire last month. Were they further extended with this sale? Anyone know if Anthem United has firmed up their plans for this site?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Anyone have an update on the Cathedral Square project?

https://anthemunited.com/news/2018/0...-downtown-sac/

Looks like the entitlements were set to expire last month. Were they further extended with this sale? Anyone know if Anthem United has firmed up their plans for this site?
That's, basically, the last I heard. Anthem also bought 1500 S Street back in July. So far, they've spent some pretty good money on just a couple properties in Sacramento; so they may have some decently big plans for those sites. Additionally, Anthem is a Canadian company that has some really nice projects in British Columbia; so that could be a good sign... An international company, with a decent track record, spending good money to buy properties here is Sacramento? Maybe they got some cool things up their sleeve

I don't think their plans will be the same as what has been previously proposed for either site. I think both properties have had their entitlements expire; and I have yet to see any new plans. Based on its statements after purchasing each site, we know Anthem is looking to build housing, retail and maybe some office space.

Maybe Sacramento could end up with some even better projects.... and monkeys might fly out of my butt, too.

Last edited by snfenoc; Aug 23, 2019 at 5:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area