HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
It's still a couple of weeks away, but the main stage for the 2019 NFL draft is taking shape....my pictures from Sunday afternoon....

The Schermerhorn Symphony Hall will serve as the place where the phone calls with the picks are received.

" Love THIS grand, old, beauty! " Nashville is blessed to have it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:40 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEORIA View Post
" Love THIS grand, old, beauty! " Nashville is blessed to have it.
She is indeed a beautiful blessing, but believe it or not, the building is only thirteen years old!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
She is indeed a beautiful blessing, but believe it or not, the building is only thirteen years old!
😮 " OMG!.... Seriously? Well that just disproves the old notion of ' they don't build em the way they used to. "

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 2:32 AM

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
😮 " OMG!.... Seriously? Well that just disproves the old notion of ' they don't build em the way they used to. "
Get ready for another shock. There is a second one under construction currently at Belmont University that will fool you just as well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:07 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Get ready for another shock. There is a second one under construction currently at Belmont University that will fool you just as well.
I wish we could see interior renderings...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
😃 " INDEED!.... I saw posted renderings, about a year or two ago, of Belmont University planned developments upon this thread and marvelled at them. I love how that university's expansion sustains, turn-of-the-century, architectural cohesion with 21st-century upgrades. "

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
😃 " INDEED!.... I saw posted renderings, about a year or two ago, of Belmont University planned developments upon this thread and marvelled at them. I love how that university's expansion sustains, turn-of-the-century, architectural cohesion with 21st-century upgrades. "
Your turn-of-the century is off by about 300 years or so. Most of the building at Belmont are generally of Georgian period design which was based on Roman revival. Turn-of-the century (I assume you meant 19th) was fairly dreadful (Victorian) By the 1920s, gorgeous classical buildings in England were being demolished. I find the symphony hall in Nashville to be among the best of classical examples. I think you may be thinking of the Beaux Arts movement in the 1930s that revived Roman style architecture on a massive scale. The Belmont campus certainly has many of these stately structures of note. But even they do not follow the very specific rules of period detail. Mostly, the architraves and entablatures are not quite in proportion to the height and diameters of the columns. Vignola is the authority to which architects should adhere. At any rate, the firm that produced design for most of the Belmont academic buildings and the symphony halls Is ESa here in Nashville and has achieved outstanding results. Alas, modern budgets and other constraints make more period design difficult. Also classical architecture like Beaux Arts is seldom more than a footnote in architectural education. I am old enough to have a more than average exposure to period design.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Your turn-of-the century is off by about 300 years or so. Most of the building at Belmont are generally of Georgian period design which was based on Roman revival. Turn-of-the century (I assume you meant 19th) was fairly dreadful (Victorian) By the 1920s, gorgeous classical buildings in England were being demolished. I find the symphony hall in Nashville to be among the best of classical examples. I think you may be thinking of the Beaux Arts movement in the 1930s that revived Roman style architecture on a massive scale. The Belmont campus certainly has many of these stately structures of note. But even they do not follow the very specific rules of period detail. Mostly, the architraves and entablatures are not quite in proportion to the height and diameters of the columns. Vignola is the authority to which architects should adhere. At any rate, the firm that produced design for most of the Belmont academic buildings and the symphony halls Is ESa here in Nashville and has achieved outstanding results. Alas, modern budgets and other constraints make more period design difficult. Also classical architecture like Beaux Arts is seldom more than a footnote in architectural education. I am old enough to have a more than average exposure to period design.
" THANKS A LOT!.... Now, I'm sorry that I said it. After recently looking at lots of early 20th-century architecture, that phrase is stuck in my head. "

Last edited by PEORIA; Apr 21, 2019 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 11:09 PM

NFL Draft in Nashville day after tomorrow. Here's a look from several angles from live cams on the FOX 17 site.

The stage itself...

Looking from the stadium at the back of the stadium and the connected facility to serve as green rooms, control centers, etc.

Looking down Broadway toward the stage (the blueish thing in upper left).

And looking toward the west where the arch was built to support video boards.

It will look a little like this photo from New Years Eve a few years ago...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:30 PM

Opening night of the NFL Draft was a smashing success. Up to 200,000 people filled the lower Broadway Honky-tonk district in spite of the rain. Some pictures from the TENNESSEAN....

And Taylor Swift crashed the party for some self promotion (per ABC)…

Nashville knows how to party as we like to say in Nashville.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:38 PM

Maybe the best picture from last night....from Project 615....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 5:57 PM
Burming Hammer

that picture gives me so much anxiety..

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 12:16 AM

I had no idea the draft was such a big deal but looks exciting.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 11:15 PM

I was in Nashville for the first time last weekend and I was quite impressed. The city did a great job hosting the NFL draft in addition to the marathon. Downtown Nashville has so many live music venues and quite a bit of historic architecture and development. All the food I had was great, and the city presented itself as clean and well maintained. Only gripe is the lack of light rail, but otherwise, I can certainly see why Nashville is an ascending city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 12:11 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I was in Nashville for the first time last weekend and I was quite impressed. The city did a great job hosting the NFL draft in addition to the marathon. Downtown Nashville has so many live music venues and quite a bit of historic architecture and development. All the food I had was great, and the city presented itself as clean and well maintained. Only gripe is the lack of light rail, but otherwise, I can certainly see why Nashville is an ascending city.
Glad you had a great time and a positive experience! And trust me, the lack of light rail is a gripe for all of us, at least among the online urban development forum crowd, which admittedly is a bit of a niche demographic, but still. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 5:50 AM

Nashville looked lively from live television. Congratulations to you guys for hosting! It looked very successful

Downtown for sure looks lively and seeing it all on tv made me want to visit one day!

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:40 AM

DSC_0741 by joel moslet, on Flickr

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 12:06 PM

This is the best view of the skyline in town. You get the broad sweep of downtown, SoBro, the Gulch and Midtown all in one view. I took the liberty of adding a few prominent rising and proposed buildings to the view here. (from left; Paramount, Amazon, Nash Yards 40 story, 5th+Broadway, 4 Seasons, Grand Hyatt, ONE22ONE, Broadwest, Virgin Hotel, Graduate Hotel, 21st West End.

Last edited by MidTenn1; May 1, 2019 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 10:11 AM

And now for something completely different.....just south of Nashville. From a few weeks ago....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations