HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:10 AM

The post office is pretty short, maybe they could parkify its roof.

But I think more useful than a big destination park would just be more "placemaking" areas with public seating, scattered all around so you're never too far from a place to rest. Some areas are experimenting with filling in a few curb parking spaces with little patches of green and some cafe tables.

But there's probably none of these things yet because there's nobody to ask for them. I don't even know what the river north community organization is. All I hear them doing is Taste of River North. SOAR seems like the most vocal and proactive of the downtown neighborhood groups working to improve or modulate their environment.

Edit: speaking of parks, the commenters on this Curbed thing about upcoming parks have some... interesting ideas about what the city should be doing with the money instead. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...forward-to.php It's so weird to me to see people opposed to park improvements or parks in general. As if we had one fewer park we could use that money to cure gang violence and homelessness.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:15 AM

35th Street pedestrian bridge over LSD.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...n-at-lakefront

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:23 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Yup. And I mean inevitably when this discussion comes up there will be those who cry "its the Loop, this isnt the place for a park!" but I mean really, its those little escapes that make a city livable
I agree... I was dismayed to see this forum's general negativity toward the pocket park in the HoJo proposal at Superior/Wells. That kind of space is very much needed in the downtown area. The landscaped car turnarounds do indeed suck, but this is a whole different thing.

It doesn't need to be a lush green space - I love paved plazas too. The key element is good design - you can't just put a park anywhere, and certainly you shouldn't shove it up against blank walls and alleys. That's why Pritzker Park at State/Van Buren sucks so hard.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:36 AM

I know there has been some conversation about making pedestrian only streets in various downtown locations in recent years. I wonder if that could be a useful solution to the lack of public space in parts of river north.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:42 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I know there has been some conversation about making pedestrian only streets in various downtown locations in recent years. I wonder if that could be a useful solution to the lack of public space in parts of river north.
Actually, it would be really cool to see the city push to have some of the alleyways in the preserved vintage parts of River North into functional pedestrian ways lined with shops. It would be hard, but could result in pretty cool experiences.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I agree... I was dismayed to see this forum's general negativity toward the pocket park in the HoJo proposal at Superior/Wells. That kind of space is very much needed in the downtown area. The landscaped car turnarounds do indeed suck, but this is a whole different thing.

It doesn't need to be a lush green space - I love paved plazas too. The key element is good design - you can't just put a park anywhere, and certainly you shouldn't shove it up against blank walls and alleys. That's why Pritzker Park at State/Van Buren sucks so hard.
I'm not sure I see what's so bad about Pritzker Park. Whenever I go by there, I always see people sitting on the ledges and chatting, which is more than I can say for some of the plazas up Dearborn. It might not be good for sports, and the back of that parking garage is certainly ugly (so is the front for that matter), but it serves it's purpose.

Given the site, what would you have done differently?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
Not build a park there? It's a terrible, ugly, noisy spot for a park. If they absolutely needed to build something there, they should have built a triagular building on the back half of the lot and a semi-paved plaza on the corner, but even then you would constantly have your ears rattled by the L.

What we have now is a wonderful view of the ass ends of several buildings, a nice and loud elevated train, and a wasted space where a significant, transit oriented, tower could have been built. I am mostly shocked that the Pritzkers would want their name associated with such a horrendously ugly space considering their supposed appreciation of architectural excellence. There are MUCH better places down there for a parklet.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetline View Post
I'm not sure I see what's so bad about Pritzker Park. Whenever I go by there, I always see people sitting on the ledges and chatting, which is more than I can say for some of the plazas up Dearborn. It might not be good for sports, and the back of that parking garage is certainly ugly (so is the front for that matter), but it serves it's purpose.

It's not that busy. I've only seen 20 people there at most which is poor given the location. Office plazas do better with well over 100 people at times. If I were to do something, I'd say sell the land for new development.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:41 PM
Urbane observer

Penny Pritzker was desperate to tear down the adult bookstores and pawn shops that blocked the view of "her" new library.

The biggest issue now is how it's become an all-day hangout for the homeless and crazy. A nice concessionaire à la Connors Park that attracted students and tourists would do a lot to remedy that. Of course, selling it as a development site (or giving it to one of the universities or the Childrens Museum or the Lucas Museum) would be even better for State Street, but Daley frantically pushed it off on the park district about four years ago, making that almost impossible.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Penny Pritzker was desperate to tear down the adult bookstores and pawn shops that blocked the view of "her" new library.
Anyone got pictures of what this block used to look like? I think I have seen them on here before, but I was only a kid when this lot was cleared.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:05 PM

Yeah, Pritzker Park is a joke for a lot of reasons. Too bad Helmut Jahn's scheme wasn't selected for the library or we would have a block and a half of plaza space ripe for student programming, etc.

Last edited by pilsenarch; Jul 16, 2014 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:15 PM
Urbane observer

Site of Pritzker Park in 1987:

C. William Brubaker collection, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:50 PM

I agree that the prizker park was poorly executed. its just not very inviting, bums or no bums. parks should help you escape from the city and theres no escape there...if anything youre taking the full brunt of the overhead L/State Street noise. and pigeons shitting everywhere. also the zig-zag "path" is pointless as it leads you nowhere other than through concrete retention walls. and youd have to be crazy to lay out on the grass.

Something like Paley Park in NYC is super simple but its also the kind of place you'd actually want to sit down and read a book for an hour at.

http://finetobacconyc.com/wp-content...b0c45fb56a.jpg

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:14 PM

Sometimes I want to puke when I see what has been lost in Chicago over the years, but other times I am shocked at what wasn't. I think the pre-pritzker buildings should have definitely been demolished, but had in my imagination that some 5+ story block of wonderful old buildings once stood there. Wasn't there a small theater on that block too?

I was just at a Forgotten Chicago presentation at the Portage Theater last night about the history of Chicago's theaters and I was feeling ill after the first part of the presentation where they showed some wonderful slides depicting the buildings lost to the wholesale slaughter of Chicago's theaters. Apparently we've lost 499 movie palaces and nickelodeons and only have about 60 still standing in some form or another...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:56 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Something like Paley Park in NYC is super simple but its also the kind of place you'd actually want to sit down and read a book for an hour at.

http://finetobacconyc.com/wp-content...b0c45fb56a.jpg
I like that a lot. There's a smaller, but private, area similar to that on Kinzie across from the Merchandise Mart. Streetview here.

There are a number of places in River North where parks like that could be created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I was just at a Forgotten Chicago presentation at the Portage Theater last night about the history of Chicago's theaters
I've only been in Chicago since 1995, but I counted something like 16 movie theaters that I've seen films in that no longer exist. Some complete disappeared, although a few still show stage theater, which is fine even if I personally see more films than plays.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:58 PM

That "Smoky Joes" sign front is amazing, though.

I kind if miss when the giant eyeball was in Pritzker park, because at least it was something.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 7:03 PM

Speaking of old beautiful theaters, the Patio is up for sale. Really hoping a new owner keeps it as a film theater, but I have a feeling tearing out the seats and turning it into some sort of concert venue would be more profitable.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Site of Pritzker Park in 1987:

C. William Brubaker collection, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
Ahh, Bill Brubaker ^

What a gentleman and a great architect. I had the privilege of working with him for years... He was the designer behind the First National (now Chase) tower...

Incredible sketcher, even more incredible charmer, and responsible for one of the best, most thorough photo collections this city has ever seen...

I think he died a few years ago, probably longer ago then I want to think about...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 9:56 PM
Urbane observer

Bill died in 2002. His oral history at AIC.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:15 AM
The City

Looks like Navy Pier just got a huge private donation.

Wow, it's unbelievable how much money is going into transforming/updating Chicago's premier public spaces right now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development