HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:42 PM
Kodachrome

RANCHO CORDOVA, CA | Point East Towers 2 | 424 FT / 129 M | 36 FLOORS | PRO

Point East Towers
Point East Road and Folsom Blvd.
Developer: D&S Development
Architect: Ed Kado
36-Stories 424 ft, 485 Condo Units, 19K Retail
778 Parking Spaces
Gross Acres: 2.43

Bob Shallit: On the Horizon
High-rise condos planned near Cordova RT station
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Monday, May 21, 2007
Story appeared in BUSINESS section, Page D1

A local development company last year completed a renovation of the historic Sheepherder Inn on the edge of Rancho Cordova.

Now D&S Development is looking to dwarf that project -- and everything in its vicinity -- with two, 36-story condo towers right next to the "The Sheep," on Folsom Boulevard, east of Sunrise.

Plans recently were submitted for the 485-unit project that would feature 10-foot ceilings, two workout facilities and a swimming pool placed on a bridge connecting the two towers, with glass portholes on the pool bottom so swimmers can see people walking below them.

"We like to push the envelope and do projects that are unique and good for the community," says Bay Miry, an official with D&S, which has taken on numerous local residential and retail projects but nothing close to this scope.

Miry says he expects the approval process to take about two years. After that, construction will begin if the current housing slump has turned around.

It will, sooner or later, he says. "We'll be ready for the next cycle," he says.

The project -- called Point East Towers -- is being pitched as a transit-oriented development, linked to a light-rail station across the street.

The developers envision people buying units at a not-yet-determined discount to the high-rise condos being proposed downtown, then using light rail to commute to their jobs.

The proposal so far has been "well-received," says the county's principal planner, Tricia Stevens.

But project architect Ed Kado, who encountered opposition to his design for a downtown office building topped by a Parthenon replica, suspects this one may spark some controversy.

"People will ask, why are they sticking those (tall towers) up in no-man's land," he says.

His answer? The project will bring recognition to Rancho Cordova and meet regional goals of putting high-density housing near light-rail stations.

"You're going to see concentrated activity (around the stations) and it won't be long before that activity goes vertical," he says. "We're just ahead of the game."

By the way, Kado says his design has plenty of eye-catching features. None is Greek.

"There won't be a Parthenon on the top," he says.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow. That's unexpected. Isn't this right by - or right on top of - a bunch of strip clubs?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:20 AM
Downtology

As somebody already said, these towers would be much better off if they were built in DT Sac, I think. But in no way am I against this project, this certainly might bring more life to RC area.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:46 AM

Let's keep in mind that there are 1.1 million sq ft of office space in Rancho Cordova just a few blocks away from the site. Also, keep in mind there are 1.1 million sq ft of office space in Downtown Sacramento.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:52 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Oh yes! Finally, highrises I'll be able to see from my house!

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:56 AM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Let's keep in mind that there are 1.1 million sq ft of office space in Rancho Cordova just a few blocks away from the site. Also, keep in mind there are 1.1 million sq ft of office space in Downtown Sacramento.

Where do you get your figures from? I assure you that there is more rentable square feet
in downtown Sacramento than 1.1 million.

Wells Fargo 502.365
555 Capitol Mall 376,432
US Bank (Current) 453,901
Esquire 248,018

Total: 1,580,716

That's just four of the well know bldg. I could add 11 more big office bldg. to
put the total over 4 million. That doe's not even include all the state offices.
My source is the April 27 2007 SBJ.

Back on topic... if they do something better with the base I would be

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:19 PM

Most major metros have secondary suburban hubs. For those who don't know Sacramento -we have three- Rosevillle, Rancho Cordova and Elk Grove.

As neuhickman79 pointed out these towers would be in Sacramento County and not actually in the city of Rancho Cordova but it's right next door and it might by incorporated into RC someday. Rancho seems to be headed in the right direction in terms of planning it's 'downtown' around the light-rail stations and streetcar linking major employment centers. Contrast Rancho Cordova's approach to Placer County's Roseville or Elk Grove's old sprawlville mentality.

I think some reasons they are going up here is that they are pretty much built-out and the public seems determined to keep major tracts of open land to the south free of suburban sprawl. Also the light-rail is starting to be used as a re-development 'tool' for denser projects such as this. Neither Roseville or Elk Grove have the light rail.

Last edited by ozone; May 22, 2007 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:41 PM

Regarding the square footage, I just looked it up and according to CBRE for Q107, here are the leaseable square footage totals for a few of the sub-markets in the metro area.

Downtown/Midtown: 12,002,207
Hwy 50 Corridor (Rancho): 10,929,605
Roseville/Rocklin: 5,607,295
Natomas/ S Natomas: 4,775,023

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That downtown/midtown figure should jump when 621 and 500 Capitol Mall are completed.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:40 PM
Community Guy

brutal above grade parking though

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
and Elk Grove.
Why did you include Elk Grove?

Elk Grove has pratically no office space, pratically no hotels (since they have no office space), and pratically no shopping.

Elk Grove is not a "hub" in any sense of the word. All that place is is the epitome of bedroom suburban living.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:01 AM

What is the latest word on this project?
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:41 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
Also, keep in mind there are 1.1 million sq ft of office space in Downtown Sacramento.

That's odd because there was over 14 million sf back in the early 90s, according to the business journal.

But back to the topic at hand...

I don't have much confidence that these towers will ever be built. Who would want to spend the kind of money to live there??

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive