HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

At least Seoul is the economic and political capital of the world's eighth largest economy, and possibly is the world's second largest agglomeration with 24 million people.

Dubai? Yes, I know, I know, I know. Blah, Blah, Blah, but it really is about speculation (mind you, so is this proposal)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
He was being sarcastic.
I just realized that, see below. \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^
Oh I get it now...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
At least Seoul is the economic and political capital of the world's eighth largest economy, and possibly is the world's second largest agglomeration with 24 million people.

Dubai? Yes, I know, I know, I know. Blah, Blah, Blah, but it really is about speculation (mind you, so is this proposal)
Just out of curiosity: have you ever been to Seoul and Busan?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 8:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^actually, I have (2006 summer)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Just out of curiosity: have you ever been to Seoul and Busan?
I have been to both Seoul and Busan. As for Seoul, it is an incredibly vibrant, amazingly dense, astoundingly huge, non-stop city that is still low-rise for the most part. Seoul deserves some outrageously tall buildings.

I've never been to Dubai, so who knows? But I'm guessing that Seoul is the kind of place that Dubai wishes it was.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 10:17 AM

The "have you been to Korea" question was just a smokescreen, since some in here, including you two seams to have no idea what's going on as far as Korean skyscrapers are concern.

Yes both Seoul and Busan deserve super and even megatall, BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

The point is ... well if you could just have read the post 10 - 18 in this same thread, but of course you choose not to, concentrating on ... what ... Dubai ... like that city has anything to do with this.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^hey, wanna put a lid on your attitude.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The "have you been to Korea" question was just a smokescreen, since some in here, including you two seams to have no idea what's going on as far as Korean skyscrapers are concern.
I don't know what is going on in Korea, that's for sure. The property values are through the roof in Seoul and, financially, it should be easily possible to build something like the Chicago Spire there.

However, Koreans have their idiosyncrasies and there are some factors that may be influencing developments, such as:
  • Many Koreans feel it to be unhealthy to live (sleep) too far off the earth, as one is deprived of its "energy" - this sentiment is closely related to the popularity in Korea of beds made out of stone slabs.
  • Construction of a supertall skyscraper may be seen as a humiliating comeuppance to North Korea, with its failed Ryugyong Hotel, and dysfunctional economy.
  • Proper placement of a dominating structure according to the principles of Feng Shui, as understood in Korea, may become a matter of controversy.
  • Contention among Christian groups for the right to construct a gigantic neon cross at the pinnacle of the building advertising the church located on the 8th floor of the 600m structure could lead to street violence.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:04 PM

Nice towers, horrendous urban planning.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxyz View Post
I don't know what is going on in Korea, that's for sure. The property values are through the roof in Seoul and, financially, it should be easily possible to build something like the Chicago Spire there.

However, Koreans have their idiosyncrasies and there are some factors that may be influencing developments, such as:
  • Many Koreans feel it to be unhealthy to live (sleep) too far off the earth, as one is deprived of its "energy" - this sentiment is closely related to the popularity in Korea of beds made out of stone slabs.
  • Construction of a supertall skyscraper may be seen as a humiliating comeuppance to North Korea, with its failed Ryugyong Hotel, and dysfunctional economy.
  • Proper placement of a dominating structure according to the principles of Feng Shui, as understood in Korea, may become a matter of controversy.
  • Contention among Christian groups for the right to construct a gigantic neon cross at the pinnacle of the building advertising the church located on the 8th floor of the 600m structure could lead to street violence.
Interesting points. I am fascinated by the complexity of Korean culture. Far from being an expert, I do know a little bit about this culture, as many of my extended family are Korean.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:54 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Well at least the designers are getting a lot of exercise. Having a sharp pencil will certainly help matters when we do get a viable proposal for Seoul. Don't get me wrong, I honestly hope they get several. I'd love to see them. We've just had a lot that went nowhere.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive