HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 8:46 AM

Arrow ASU/UofA Downtown Phoenix construction thread

I want to post this again since the other Phoenix thread got kicked to the Archive forum and it's very recent news...

Downtown dorm pact nearly set

Ginger D. Richardson
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 24, 2006 12:00 AM

After nearly six months of haggling and negotiating, Arizona State University appears to have worked out a deal to build a $100 million-plus student housing project in downtown Phoenix.

The complex would contain roughly 1,300 beds and be constructed in two phases between now and 2009. It would be 12 to 15 stories high and located on the northern end of the downtown campus, just north of Taylor Street between First and Second streets.

The property, which would support students at the university's newest campus, would be paid for entirely by a private developer. That company would, in turn, charge students rent.

"We are cautiously optimistic that we are going to get this in place," said Rich Stanley, senior vice president and university planner.

Permanent student housing is critical to the success of the new campus and will be sorely needed when the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism opens in downtown Phoenix in August 2008. The media-based college boasts an enrollment of nearly 1,800 students, many of whom are underclassmen likely to live in ASU-provided housing.

But the development is also considered key to helping Phoenix reach its overall revitalization goals. Not only would it function as students' primary home, the city believes it would encourage spinoff development in the form of restaurants, shops and other retail uses.

"More people living downtown will create the support for new businesses," Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said. "It's a cycle that will repeat and continue."

Specifics of the agreement with Alabama-based Capstone Management have not yet been made public, but the university plans to seek project approval from the Arizona Board of Regents at the end of this month. The Phoenix City Council is expected to vote on the deal in December or January.

Housing and groceries
Plans call for the housing complex to be built on a combination of city-owned and privately held land north of what once was the Ramada Inn Downtown.

The hotel is being used by the university as a temporary dorm and is known as Residential Commons.

The new housing building would have as many as 750 beds in its first phase, to be open by August 2008.

The university expects it to be used mostly by freshmen in its initial years. The second phase, which could open a year later, would bring an additional 550 beds to the downtown area and most likely would be used by sophomores and upper classmen, Stanley said.

The property would feature a quad-style setup, in which two to four students in adjoining rooms share a single bathroom. It would also have wireless Internet access, academic support programs, meeting and gathering spaces and on-site food service.

In addition, ASU is hoping to locate a grocery store, or perhaps a fast-food restaurant, on the ground floor.

"The students will tell you that they want a grocery store downtown, and that there isn't a place to get some food to take back to the room and eat," said Kevin Cook, vice provost and dean for student affairs. "That has been the Number 1 thing we hear about."

Right now, many students are walking to a Circle K several blocks away to stock up on basic supplies, Cook said.

Timothy Johns, a freshman nursing major who lived in Residential Commons on the downtown campus since August, has some other requests, too.

"I'd like to see it have a stove and a refrigerator. A little kitchen facility on the floor where you can do a bit of basic cooking," he said. "Also, private bathrooms. I think, nowadays, the students I talk to really enjoy having their own bathroom."

Developer to charge rents
Capstone Managementcould not be reached for comment this week.

But according to the company's Web site, the firm has an extensive history of managing student housing complexes at universities across the country, including the University of Maryland, University of Alabama and University of Missouri.

Stanley and other ASU officials say their agreement with Capstone would allow the company to function essentially as a landlord for an apartment complex.

The firm, as the dormitory's owner and manager, would set the rents and collect the money directly from students.

But the university is still working with the company to determine what those charges would be. Stanley said ASU wants the "opening rent to be reasonably in line with those in the rest of our system."

According to ASU's Web site, students living in on-campus housing in Tempe and Phoenix are paying $5,300 to $9,800 this academic year, depending on where they live and what meal plan they are on.

The plan to locate the property in downtown Phoenix has been somewhat controversial because the development is forcing the closing and relocation of a couple of longtime downtown businesses, including Mary Ann Avila's Downtown Laundry and Dry Cleaning store.

Avila, who has run her shop at the corner of First and Taylor streets for 11 years, received an eviction notice from her landlord last month.

But Tuesday, Phoenix Deputy City Manager David Cavazos said she would receive about $200,000 in relocation assistance.

The city will also work with her to find a new place for her business, Cavazos said.

This area is going to fill in quickly and nicely. Two massive parking lots and a block of mostly dirt lots gone. If Central Park East ever gets off the ground, directly north of Chase Tower, it would really finish things off nicely. C'mon hotel developers, that is a pretty prime spot for another hotel!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:44 PM
them bones

I'd love to see them move the College of Architecture & Environmental Design down there. I know they already do alot of classes (and I think the HUD program is there), but it would be a great thing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 8:19 PM

That would be sweet. I find it ironic that the college of design has some of the uglier buildings on campus, imo.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 6:19 AM
Skyriser

The comment that the downtown campus is too spread out is completely asinine. I won't even it dignify it further.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 12:53 PM

I agree. Spread out???????!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:56 PM
them bones

Obviously someone who's never had to walk between the Classroom Office Building and the College of Architecture in 15 minutes to get to class...

Get a bike!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:22 PM

She must be used to ASU West. I went to a small college (Div III) and it was more spread out than ASU Downtown.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 8:12 PM

Can someone tie my shoes for me? It is so far to reach. lol

AJphx will never post again. LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:11 PM

Does anyone know if there is a bookstore on the downtown ASU campus somewhere? Or, any kind of store that might carry large ASU decals or stickers?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:37 PM

Yes, right across from Civic Space Park int eh brown ASU building, just south of the Walter Cronkite Building.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:41 PM

yeah it's called the University Center.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:35 PM

Will be good to see something new start construction. How tall is this thing...anyone know?

Quote:
$187M health sciences building closing in on reality
Phoenix Business Journal - by Angela Gonzales

The Arizona Board of Regents may be a step closer to building the $187 million Health Sciences Education Building on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

The expansion was approved twice by the Arizona Legislature and signed by the governor but was held up pending review by the Joint Committee on Capital Review. The committee doesn’t need to approve the project; it just needs to review it before ground can be broken.

The committee has scheduled a meeting for March 23. The agenda also includes review of general obligation bond project changes for Maricopa Community College District and is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. in House Hearing Room 4 at the Arizona Legislature.

The health sciences building will be used to train more physicians and strengthen the presence of the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy and other health-related colleges on the campus.

Dr. William Crist, vice president for health affairs for UA, said this is a very happy day for him. “I have been worrying about whether we can move ahead or not,” he said. “It’s been really stressful.”

The meeting, however, could be postponed. But Crist is hopeful that won’t happen.

“It’s on the agenda and they’re scheduled to meet the 23rd,” he said. “They’ve all agreed to do it. I don’t think there’s any problem.”

“I am encouraged by the meeting notice and appreciate Chairman (John) Kavanagh’s and Speaker (Kirk) Adams’ leadership in helping us bring this dream to fruition. The construction will create over 2,000 new jobs which are badly needed in our community. The building is a key to our students’ success” said Ernest Calderon, president of the Arizona Board of Regents

Once the committee reviews the expansion project, the three state universities can sell bonds for the project.

“These bonds give you the necessary money — that is borrowing money — to build the project,” Crist said.

Once the building is completed, the universities will be responsible for the debt service. Part of that will be paid by revenue from the Arizona Lottery funds while 20 percent will be raised privately by the universities.

Construction could begin as soon as April.

“We have permits waiting down at the city,” said David Harris, senior project manager for Arizona Biomedical Collaborative, a partnership between the three state universities.

It could be open as soon as 2012, he said.

The start of the Health Sciences Education Building will be a huge win for Arizona, said Robert Green, president and CEO of the Arizona BioIndustry Association.

“In the short term, construction will provide much-needed jobs in our state,” he said. “Once completed, it will enable the training of doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other medical professionals under one roof, which will put Arizona in the forefront of medical training in the U.S. and help alleviate our state’s shortage of medical professionals.”

For more: www.abor.asu.edu.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 3:49 PM

^ Looks like 6-7 stories to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3710430...92904104/show/

--don

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:19 PM

there are a few more pictures here under projects, medical education.
http://www.coarchitects.com/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 4:39 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ Looks like 6-7 stories to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3710430...92904104/show/

--don
Ew? $190 million for an ugly box that can't figure out which decade hates it more?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:03 PM
BANNED

I think it looks rather interesting. What the fuck do yoy want instead?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:14 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Ew? $190 million for an ugly box that can't figure out which decade hates it more?
Hey, it is far better than what ASU has done recently at the main campus in Tempe. I'll gladly trade you Hassayampa Academic Village, and Barrett Honors College, for the "ugly box".

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Mar 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:22 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Hey, it is far better than what ASU has done recently at the main campus in Tempe. I'll gladly trade you Hassayampa Academic Villiage, and Barrett Honors College, for the "ugly box".

Good point. I actually sort of like it, but whether or not you like it, it certainly looks better than the prison... err... dorms that have been built recently on the Tempe campus.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:33 PM
Skyriser

Other angles show it off better but it rubs me the wrong way and its too fucking short. Architecturally, it fits more with the stuff on the Tempe campus rather than downtown. I wouldn't mind seeing something like ITSB IV instead: taller, with more traditional forms, and an approach to 7th St that doesn't suck.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 5:58 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^I actually likes how it looks different than the current BioCampus buildings. I was worried theyd all be the shiny metal stylings of the TGen building. While I like the TGen building, it could get old quick, so Ill be happy to have some variety.

I dont really mind buildings not approaching 7th St and Ave downtown either. I dont think those streets will ever be walkable, pedestrian environments because the roads are mini highways and will always (necessarily probably) be that way. Id rather focus on buildings having good permeable edges facing inward towards the rest of Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest