HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:56 PM

Maldive Renderings on Toronto Skyline

Maldive ... please email me. Your renderings on the Toronto future skyline are fantastic and an editor friend of mine may want to 'purchase' use of one for his February cover illustration on a Condo-Hotel feature, if you make them available.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Yer welcome.

It's time to light a fire in this forum... and that fire is Toronto... a city with more exciting projects underway than ever before in the history of this country.

Or North America for that matter.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:27 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:45 PM

I didnt realize until just now that the 1 Bloor tower will trump Trump.
(286.0m vs 281.9m)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanneClaude View Post

Wow, yet another straight, rectangular undistinguished residential building in Toronto – a landmark in the making to be sure – gag! You know, If you took 20 floors off this building you'd have just another apartment building....like the last 4 or 5 hundred apartment buildings before it. But because its 44 floors we go "ooohh, ahhhh". I’m sure the architect of this little masterpiece must be very proud.

I think “architect” in Canadian means one “who designs buildings that will keep the rain off its occupants”.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorji View Post
I agree.....The city, planners, architects and urban designers should give themselves a pat on the back.
Yeah right, here's another of their little gems:

http://www.thestar.com/article/270659

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:27 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ wow.... what a gem!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 2:48 PM

Yeah, I certainly don't agree with what is being done there.
"Make no small plans, for they have no magic to stir man's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical plan once recorded will never die." - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I didnt realize until just now that the 1 Bloor tower will trump Trump.
(286.0m vs 281.9m)
Are you sure about 1 Bloor's height?
286m is great though!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Are you sure about 1 Bloor's height?
286m is great though!

I can only speak to what was approved - neither building has completed construction yet. Look here...

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=12&statusID=3

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Maldive ... please email me. Your renderings on the Toronto future skyline are fantastic and an editor friend of mine may want to 'purchase' use of one for his February cover illustration on a Condo-Hotel feature, if you make them available.

Brian
Thanks for the props... sorry to be late getting bck to you. I sent you a PM with my email address. Cheers.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:04 PM

hehe

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:33 PM

I actually follow alot of the projects in Miami, and while many of the renderings depict great looking towers, the finished product is not always that great.

1 Bloor East going for 275 metres:

From the Post:

Psychics out, condos in on Bloor
Neighbourhood makes way for 80-storey tower
Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2007

They have given notice to the Egyptian Psychic Reader on Bloor Street, along with Felix & Norton, the newsstand and Harvey's. City Optical, after 15 years at the corner of Yonge and Bloor streets, will be gone by Jan. 31. The Naval Club, which has occupied its brick home on Hayden Street for about 70 years, is moving to Dan-forth and Coxwell avenues. On Yonge Street, the Foreign Exchange Centre, Toby's, Pop-eye's, the Falafel House, the Shoe Company, the Biryani House: everyone must go.

Bazis International, the powerful Kazakhstan-based development company, is preparing to bulldoze what amounts to an entire neighbourhood in the heart of Toronto, and replace it with One Bloor, which the company calls a "whisper-thin" 80-storey condominium tower and "boutique" hotel.

The psychic reader, who was smoking a cigarette when I walked in, just shrugged her shoulders.

Yes, that's what they call it. A few doors down, about 25 people bustled inside 33 Bloor St. E., the new sales centre for the tower, hanging pictures of floor plans and laying out a red carpet for Mayor David Miller, who was arriving in the evening.

In the middle of the chaos stood Michael Gold, president of Bazis in North America, wearing a black V-neck sweater and jeans.

He led the way to Lettuce Eatery, a soup and salad bar just a bit east. Roy Varacalli, a partner and design architect for the building, came in holding a television remote in his hand.

"One of the TVs broke," he explained. "So I went and bought a new one. I didn't want to leave the remote there --I was afraid someone would lose it."

He rested the remote on the restaurant table and, as he and Mr. Gold shared a salad wrap, they talked about their vision for what Mr. Gold calls "the most famous street corner in Canada."

"Everything is tall, everything is thin, everything is contextual," Mr. Varacalli said.

Bazis aims to break ground in a year and complete "One Bloor" at the end of 2011.

Mr. Gold, born in Leningrad, grew up in Toronto and then married into one of the richest families in Kazakstan. Bazis, he says, is now the largest builder in that former Soviet republic, and has construction projects in Thailand, Dubai, Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Caspian Sea.

Now they want to invest in Toronto.

"We believe that Toronto, compared to the world market, is undervalued," Mr. Gold says. "It is safe, it is a melting pot of different cultures. It is welcoming to us."

There is the small matter of the building's height. Bazis says it has approval from city council to build 227 metres (substantially higher than the 134 metres for the Hudson's Bay building across the street and 149 for the CIBC building, which is kitty-corner). The builders, however, want to go up 275 metres.

"This would be probably dealt with by the committee of adjustment," Mr. Gold says. "That's something we're working out with the city."

Corwin Cambray, the city planner for the building, was unavailable yesterday for comment.

Will there be a mess? Bazis promises to do most materials deliveries at night, but still will take up a lane of permanently clogged Bloor Street for three years (yikes!).

Will it all be worth it? In its official plan approved a few years ago, the city aimed for "intensification" along its mass-transit lines; this corner, the subway's busiest crossroads, is arguably the best place to intensify.

However, Bloor station is already nuts at rush hour, and there is no Central Park around; where these people will walk their dogs remains a mystery.

The developers say the city is supportive, and even pressed them to acquire the remaining piece of the half-hectare block: the Shoe Company building, which Scotiabank finally sold to Bazis recently.

"There's 11 cultural institutions within a five-minute walk," Mr. Varacalli raves, mentioning the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario.

No word on whether the Brass Rail strip club, which is just a one-minute walk down Yonge, is one of the other nine.

pkuitenbrouwer@nationalpost.com

© National Post 2007

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I think some US people here ARE jealous of Toronto; It is right up there with or above NYC, Chicago and Miami... Let's just call those the most active cities for construction and all be happy for each other....
Well if we're talking about North America, Mexico City is right up there too.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:27 PM

Please refrain from city vs. city posts. . . I hate wading through childish BS when looking through these Highrise Development threads. . . thanks for your understanding. . .

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:56 PM

and now for something completely different.
a dirigible floating above the bank of commerce building in 1930!
at the time...the tallest building in the birtish empire...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Please refrain from city vs. city posts. . . I hate wading through childish BS when looking through these Highrise Development threads. . . thanks for your understanding. . .
I completely agree, can we stick to buildings please?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:36 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
and now for something completely different.
a dirigible floating above the bank of commerce building in 1930!
at the time...the tallest building in the birtish empire...

That is so freaking cool!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:49 PM

^^^
thanks.
just wanted to get us off the city v. city thing.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 9:19 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrshift View Post

Brian
Maldive, gettin' paid yo!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 9:32 PM

Not a dime yet Cal... you know how it goes... I love you, I love you... but I have a boyfriend.... can I call you next week?

Anyway, here's a consulation prize that even a great sax player will choke on:

- approximately 150 changes... new buildings, new designs, new heights (Trump shorter, 1BE taller), new stuff all over the place.

Most u/c.

And here's a link to a big one for those of you who know what's really goin' on (NOTE: you might have to reload/refresh your browser to see the new render):

http://www.upside-down.ca/maldive/futurebig.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations