HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Yeah I should've said walkability specifically, not livability. From a groceries perspective, I think of that as living close enough to a store that can furnish you with the necessary ingredients to cook a meal, and/or a place where if you want to do all of your grocery shopping there, walking home with a few bags would not be an outrageous proposition for an able-bodied person. 99% of people would have no interest in walking from the Girard ACME back to an Old City residence, both for the sheer distance as well as how unpleasant the physical environment is for a solid stretch of that journey. The walk from 5th and Spruce is certainly more palatable, but that's besides my main point.

Old City strikes me as quite similar to Queen Village in its food access profile. The Heirloom going in at 2nd and South feels like a grand slam choice to me because you've got super high income people living within a few blocks in all directions, and yet those people have to either go to 5th and Spruce or 10th and South or the Italian Market or Delaware Ave to buy most mainstream grocery items. Why not meet them where they are? We're underserved enough and growing population enough that it's likely the existing markets would continue to thrive even as 2nd and South becomes the first choice for several thousand people. If I were the Heirloom site selection people, I'd see the same potential dynamic in Old City at a site like 2nd and Race: Sure folks can head up to Girard or down to Society Hill or order online or drive over the bridge to Wegman's, but it's likely that you'd immediately become the first go-to choice for many thousands of people if you brought them the convenience they've never had.

I guess we'll see if the market ends up agreeing with me or not. Despite all i've said, and despite my personal faith in these new smaller markets to do well, the grocery business is in such flux with Amazon and delivery meal prep programs that it isn't a guarantee that anything working now will work in a few years time. To out compete the internet, physical stores will need to provide something that you can't get digitally.
You should write Giant and propose this (seriously). I wrote their corporate offices after I complained about the absurdity of allowing a person with dozens of grocery items to check out at the Wine counter at the GHo/Fitler Heirloom - while a line of 8 people, each with just 1 bottle of wine, developed behind them.

They got back to me promptly, apologized, said I was right - gave me a $25 gift card - and subsequently changed their store policy and signage to only allow booze sales w/ "5 grocery items or less" at the separate booze counter. Fight the power - everyone's welcome.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:40 PM

A Snapshot of University City and Future Expectations:

https://econsultsolutions.com/a-snap...gft4n786XkgH6g

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:43 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
A Snapshot of University City and Future Expectations:

https://econsultsolutions.com/a-snap...gft4n786XkgH6g
That's only about half of them!

They missed:

4000 Market 42 Units
4050 Ludlow 37 Units
4306 Market 22 Units
4312 Market 40 Units
4415 Ludlow 30 Units
4101 Market 3.0 University Place 8-Story Office Building
4111 Ludlow 8 Units
19 S 44th 6 Units
3700 Lancaster 463 Units
New SLAMS and Powel School, 37th and Cuthbert
12-14 S 43rd 18 Units

and 3 large projects yet to be announced

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
and 3 large projects yet to be announced
Oh? Like, Highrise large? Or midrise?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:56 PM

What’s inside the new Gallery mall? First look at Fashion District Philadelphia

https://whyy.org/articles/whats-insi...utm_content=ww

"At the time of its opening on Sept. 19, Crowell says the mall’s tenant occupancy will be at 60%. The AMC movie theater, an “amusement center” with bowling and arcade games called Round 1 are expected to open in November. A rotating showcase of interactive art called Wonderspaces is planned for December."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Oh? Like, Highrise large? Or midrise?
Most likely midrise. I have a rendering for one of them that is a basic massing study from when on of the sites was being solicited to developers. That one has been under contract for like 6 months now, a deal right next door to it just closed in April and I'm guessing the same party is the one buying it. The deal is probably a little complicated because the sellers of the current building want to be relocated into whatever is built there and there's probably an ongoing negotiation about how that will work.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Most likely midrise. I have a rendering for one of them that is a basic massing study from when on of the sites was being solicited to developers. That one has been under contract for like 6 months now, a deal right next door to it just closed in April and I'm guessing the same party is the one buying it. The deal is probably a little complicated because the sellers of the current building want to be relocated into whatever is built there and there's probably an ongoing negotiation about how that will work.
Wow. Uni City is exploding.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Wow. Uni City is exploding.
True, but past 40th St. and north of Walnut St. it is mostly trashy, boring, just one step above vacate lots, junk projects. Very disappointing. This is an example on the negative end of the spectrum of what the new zoning can do.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:57 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
True, but past 40th St. and north of Walnut St. it is mostly trashy, boring, just one step above vacate lots, junk projects. Very disappointing. This is an example on the negative end of the spectrum of what the new zoning can do.
Those crappy ones are stepping stones to better things in the future. At least one cool project is in early stages for that area but I fear that it'll be started for real in the next real estate cycle.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Those crappy ones are stepping stones to better things in the future. At least one cool project is in early stages for that area but I fear that it'll be started for real in the next real estate cycle.
It would be nice if you're right with the stepping stone theory, but as long as there is a market for crappy apartments, which also tend to be on the lower price end of the rental range, why would developers chose to spend more cash on a better product?

Much of the junk being tossed together, 46th & Walnut as an example, are small 3 and 4 bedroom apartments that often are doubled up and I'm guessing most people stay for 1 year, in other words, cheap private dorms. Off campus ghettos in the making. The only reason, the only interest the developers seem to have is maximum short term profit, with no apparent interest in improving the neighborhood, or much interest in the tenants welfare.

I can't imagine any neighborhood welcoming 80%++ of these projects. Would you want one on your block?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 7:01 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
It would be nice if you're right with the stepping stone theory, but as long as there is a market for crappy apartments, which also tend to be on the lower price end of the rental range, why would developers chose to spend more cash on a better product?

Much of the junk being tossed together, 46th & Walnut as an example, are small 3 and 4 bedroom apartments that often are doubled up and I'm guessing most people stay for 1 year, in other words, cheap private dorms. Off campus ghettos in the making. The only reason, the only interest the developers seem to have is maximum short term profit, with no apparent interest in improving the neighborhood, or much interest in the tenants welfare.

I can't imagine any neighborhood welcoming 80%++ of these projects. Would you want one on your block?
The 46th and Walnut type are what lead to the 4125 Chestnut type, which looks cheap from the outside but is nice on the inside, have a lot of amenities, and are renting for top dollar. Ones like those lead to the type that is going to be built at 4306 and 4312 Market, which will have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. 4125 Chestnut replaced a car wash, 4312 Market is replacing an empty lot. The future unannounced projects I mentioned are replacing mid-20th Century low-slung buildings and empty lots. Of course 4233 Chestnut is replacing that cool church building but that was an unusual situation. The developers may not have much interest in improving the neighborhood but all the new units under construction is causing a lot of interest in nearby retail, especially on 40th Street, where the empty spaces are commanding high numbers and getting a lot of interest based on the anticipation of a lot more people being nearby.

Would I want one on my block? There's one about to start construction across the street from my house and it's much better than the shitty building that's been there for 40 years.

Last edited by Aaamazarite; Aug 16, 2019 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 11:56 PM

POD Hotel - claims it will be opening sometime next month, we'll see. Still lots of street level work to be done, but the facade and windows are basically completed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:13 PM

Couldn't grab a photo, but they are working in earnest on the "saucer" in Love Park.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Couldn't grab a photo, but they are working in earnest on the "saucer" in Love Park.
Don't worry--I got a photo:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:17 PM

^ I think that's the SWAT standoff. Different neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
^ I think that's the SWAT standoff. Different neighborhood.
Whatever. It's a saucer. Don't nitpick.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

That one's titled "Playmobil Man Walks Out of Birth Canal While Toy Soldiers Look On"

Nice piece.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:08 PM

They've installed the digital billboard brackets on the FDP. My first thought was that they are not going to paint the upper portion of that building. Which is a mistake, in my opinion.

It still seems like they have a LONG way to go on that.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:38 PM

^ I’m picturing giant “Come in. We are open during construction” signs

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
They've installed the digital billboard brackets on the FDP. My first thought was that they are not going to paint the upper portion of that building. Which is a mistake, in my opinion.

It still seems like they have a LONG way to go on that.
I foresee noticeable construction for at least 2-3 months beyond grand opening- a lot is incomplete right now considering they are 4 weeks out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development