HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 1:24 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
My partner and I are looking at a few units for May/June in this building and I'm so excited. I think it's a gorgeous building, in a great location. It's pretty sad that the Vuze is charging anywhere from $1425-$2200/mo for a 1 br and a new build can start at $1525. It's absolutely wild that Templeton can charge that much when the Vuze is still under construction for the next few years AT LEAST.

Sorry, that was my little Vuze rant, and just saying how pumped I am do potentially be moving into a new build. it's so exciting
I know of some folks who looked at a 1br at the Aya for 1600, ended up getting a 1br with a spectacular view and more space for about $50 more at the Bloom. That whole Templeton project borders on overpriced.

Even moving to Halifax, I ended up in the brand new Alexander for 1425, with a real bed, vs what would have been the same price in the Vuze for a Murphy bed in a closet.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I know of some folks who looked at a 1br at the Aya for 1600, ended up getting a 1br with a spectacular view and more space for about $50 more at the Bloom. That whole Templeton project borders on overpriced.

Even moving to Halifax, I ended up in the brand new Alexander for 1425, with a real bed, vs what would have been the same price in the Vuze for a Murphy bed in a closet.
Actually having done extensive market research on all halifax high rise residential - the Vuze is aligned quite well with the rest of the Market - price has never been an issue at The Vuze and renting historically does well at that location (covid not withstanding)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
Late this aft I was sitting in traffic on Robie northbound next to the old urban farm site by the Willow Tree. The sun was at a lowish angle and glancing over at the empty lot on the corner I saw this really interesting-looking shadow pattern which almost resembled a bridge of sorts. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it but it was this building as shown above.

The tall top floor has no roof immediately adjacent to the Robie side and no glass in the walls. It looks like it is intended to stay that way but that is different from some of the renderings shown earlier here. It is kind of a cool design feature if that's how it stays.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
... The tall top floor has no roof immediately adjacent to the Robie side and no glass in the walls. It looks like it is intended to stay that way but that is different from some of the renderings shown earlier here. It is kind of a cool design feature if that's how it stays.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that before. Your post sent me over to the George's website, where I can see now that they do, indeed, appear to intend to leave a portion open to the sky. https://thegeorgeresidence.com/building/photos/

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 3:20 PM

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 3:32 PM

Oops... looks like that dark section on top has slid over a little. Hope they fix that before it slides off completely and spills onto the street...

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 11:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Oops... looks like that dark section on top has slid over a little. Hope they fix that before it slides off completely and spills onto the street...
JENGA!

This is a good photo though and illustrates a point I made in another thread about Dexel did a good job here of breaking up the mass of the building with cladding. This would be a completely different looking building if it was all black, and extended straight down to the street.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 5:50 AM

It's been great to see the shots of this building from different angles and distances. It's not perfection, but I see a little more to like with every take on it.

Dexel's been a really good citizen, in my opinion. I really liked what they did with Greenvale School a decade or so ago and haven't felt greatly let down by them since. Too bad they didn't snag the Cogswell-Brunswick corner.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
JENGA!

This is a good photo though and illustrates a point I made in another thread about Dexel did a good job here of breaking up the mass of the building with cladding. This would be a completely different looking building if it was all black, and extended straight down to the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
It's been great to see the shots of this building from different angles and distances. It's not perfection, but I see a little more to like with every take on it.

Dexel's been a really good citizen, in my opinion. I really liked what they did with Greenvale School a decade or so ago and haven't felt greatly let down by them since. Too bad they didn't snag the Cogswell-Brunswick corner.
Agreed on all points!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 1:27 PM

https://www.facebook.com/woozlesbks/...59503892886686

Woozles will be moving in to The George in a space facing Shirley Street.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
https://www.facebook.com/woozlesbks/...59503892886686

Woozles will be moving in to The George in a space facing Shirley Street.
I had selfishly been hoping they’d move to the North End, maybe in that recently-renovated commercial building on Isleville. However, I can see this being a great space for them.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 7:45 PM

I saw an update on Facebook for this one. They added a really great detail with gold cladding on the underside of the cantilever for the black block section of the tower. Looks really slick.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 3:56 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Not sure if it was intentional or if we got lucky, but I do like how the dark colors of the building compliment the Atlantica now too after its refresh.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 10:31 PM
The New Republic

Nice to see the perimeter of the Commons, Citadel, Public Gardens, etc. slowly being rimmed with decent density. I've often thought that Brunswick Street between downtown and the Citadel should be closed and the turned into the terminus for Citadel Hill. Just put a giant public pedestrian only square there with cafes, water feature, etc. Citadel Hill can then be properly stitch into the urban fabric of downtown. That stretch of Brunswick Street is awful the way it is. It just doesn't work.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That stretch of Brunswick Street is awful the way it is. It just doesn't work.
Except, of course, to move vehicle traffic, for which it is still quite useful.

The downtown core cannot aspire to be a carless utopia (which seems to me to be what you'd aim for) at this stage in the city's development. We don't have the transit infrastructure to make that practicable, and probably won't for several decades, since it will only become feasible once the population reaches a certain critical mass. HRM is at that awkward stage of development: big enough to need much better public transit, but not yet big enough to support it.

In the meantime, we still need to allow cars to move around, much as many of us apparently wish it weren't so.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Aug 25, 2021 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nice to see the perimeter of the Commons, Citadel, Public Gardens, etc. slowly being rimmed with decent density. I've often thought that Brunswick Street between downtown and the Citadel should be closed and the turned into the terminus for Citadel Hill. Just put a giant public pedestrian only square there with cafes, water feature, etc. Citadel Hill can then be properly stitch into the urban fabric of downtown. That stretch of Brunswick Street is awful the way it is. It just doesn't work.
It already has those things (sans water feature, except when it rains) and it remains an unfriendly wasteland. It has always been so. There is nothing there to attract the pedestrians that seem to be so beloved by the planning professions. Certainly Citadel Hill itself is hardly much of an attraction, and the businesses along Brunswick have always struggled. The fact that it is on the side of a steep hill means pedestrian traffic is always going to be rather limited as it is a challenging walk for all but the fittest.

I am more of the view that Citadel Hill is an impediment to DT development and should be tunneled under so it can be avoided. Former Mayor Ron Wallace's brilliant idea to dig it out and put a large car park under it remains one of the most forward-thinking ideas ever proposed. But I could be equally on-side with hollowing it out to create a transit hub as long as tunnels were constructed along Duke, Sackville and other hilly streets connecting it to the waterfront and long escalators like those used in the D.C. Metro subway stations to move people up and down the hillsides. Moving sidewalks for more level sections towards SGR would also be useful.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 3:45 AM

Occasionally getting stuck at the Willow Tree has a small benfit.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I saw an update on Facebook for this one. They added a really great detail with gold cladding on the underside of the cantilever for the black block section of the tower. Looks really slick.
This one is turning out nicely and Dexel's projects in general turn out well. If you look on their website you can see a clear progression from older projects like W Suites, which was above average in its day but now looks dated with exposed precast siding. Waterford is also quite good for being from 2000.

I think it bodes well for Press Block and other developments coming down the pipe like the 1300 block of Barrington project they have listed.

If they have a weak spot it's heritage preservation (actual preservation or restoration of original building styles, not modern refreshes or old buildings in a new style) but maybe Press Block will be different. There's a version of 1333 Barrington that could look great, with some kind of restoration for the mangled square facade house, apartments in behind, and maybe some commercial spaces.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 9:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 10:15 PM

What a beautiful, seemingly well-built and -managed development. Halifax needs so much more of this!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth