HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
That's what's so appealing about Canadian Football: the schedule is compact and every game counts. And the fact that it isn't being "propped up" everywhere makes it even more appealing, in an old-fashioned kind of way. There comes a point when the "propping" just gets annoying and one gravitates to a smaller league with a quiet confidence. The CFL is so rare in what if offers the modern sports fan.
Couldn't have said it better. It's strange, at one time being the rebel or outlier was cool, now it seems young people are conditioned to all tow the party line, that corporate (NFL/NBA et al) is cool. I don't get it.

Last edited by elly63; Oct 18, 2021 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. It's strange., at one time being the rebel or outlier was cool, now it seems young people are conditioned to all tow the party line, that corporate (NFL/NBA et al) is cool. I don't get it.
The current trend seems to be to give off vibes that you're a rebel or outlier, while at the same time still being a total conformist with the mob and their tastes and views.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The current trend seems to be to give off vibes that you're a rebel or outlier, while at the same time still being a total conformist with the mob and their tastes and views.
That sounds right and conformist was the word I was looking for.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Cfl got much more and better media coverage when it was on tsn and cbc. Since being only on tsn no other media properties touch it to report on and bell does not even have playoffs or a Friday night football game of the week on the main ctv network which is insulting as its one of their top 3 media properties for sports.
I've never understood how some of the CFL games aren't on CTV, seeing as TSN and CTV are owned by the same company. You want to broaden your viewing? That'll help.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
I've never understood how some of the CFL games aren't on CTV, seeing as TSN and CTV are owned by the same company. You want to broaden your viewing? That'll help.
And it's free crtc canadian content as well it makes zero sense

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:58 PM

There is obviously value to Bell in keeping the CFL games on TSN only... it probably induces a lot of people to get TSN. TSN is the de facto CFL version of "NFL Sunday Ticket".

I'm sure they'd love to do it with the NFL too but they can't, because so many games are on US broadcast networks already.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is obviously value to Bell in keeping the CFL games on TSN only... it probably induces a lot of people to get TSN. TSN is the de facto CFL version of "NFL Sunday Ticket".

I'm sure they'd love to do it with the NFL too but they can't, because so many games are on US broadcast networks already.
My guess is that their contract with the NFL probably prohibits them from putting NFL games (or at least some or many of them) on a pay-only channel.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:51 PM

I've always been a CFL fan as it's one of the local sports leagues - put from my view, and other young people, it's far less exciting option compared to see the CFL and appears way more "semi-pro" than pro. The games have been awful this year and really don't pull people to watch more.

Why watch two teams punt the ball and forth when I could watch NFL games with 800+ yards of offense?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My guess is that their contract with the NFL probably prohibits them from putting NFL games (or at least some or many of them) on a pay-only channel.
I can't remember the fine points of the CRTC's sim-subbing rules but didn't a show have to be on broadcast TV to allow sim-subbing to take place? i.e. this way CTV can impose its commercials on the US broadcast feeds?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Why watch two teams punt the ball and forth when I could watch NFL games with 800+ yards of offense?
Oooh, where do we start? Fair catch, games over with 5 minute left and run down the clock, four shots to power ahead two yards.

It never changes

6-3 score
NFL - Battle of two titanic defenses
CFL - Two crappy offenses

If people want to watch the NFL that's great, I just ask they don't come here and piss on my parade.

Maybe the best thing is to go to somebody who actually knows:

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’
In eight CFL seasons, Doug Flutie was named Most Outstanding Player six times. He played in four Grey Cups, winning three. TSN voted him the greatest player of all time. Here’s why Canada’s brand of football is No. 1 in his heart
Doug Flutie si.com MMQB June 24, 2014

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:41 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Oooh, where do we start? Fair catch, games over with 5 minute left and run down the clock, four shots to power ahead two yards.

It never changes

6-3 score

If people want to watch the NFL that's great, I just ask they don't come here and piss on my parade.

In eight CFL seasons, Doug Flutie was named Most Outstanding Player six times. He played in four Grey Cups, winning three. TSN voted him the greatest player of all time. Here’s why Canada’s brand of football is No. 1 in his heart

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

I am totally with you on this as you know but in fairness total points per game have been ticking upwards in the NFL.

I did check this and since I started watching gridiron from both sides of the border quite intensively in the 1980s the average per team has increased by almost 5 points per game.

You still get these 10-7 games in the NFL but they're not as common as they used to be.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
This came up yesterday... like I said, the Elks are in next year mode. I'm surprised that it got so bad between Harris and his coaches/team that they dumped him already.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:

It never changes

6-3 score

You forgot the automatic 25 yard touchbacks, that happens 9 times out of 10… like, why bother waste peoples time and even even play that part of the game?

I also watch both leagues as much as time allows. I got Stamps season tix, and have been to 1 NFL game way back I. 2005 for a Monday nighter, which was a ton of fun.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The fair catch in American football is the bane of my (gridiron) existence!

Last edited by Acajack; Oct 19, 2021 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I've always been a CFL fan as it's one of the local sports leagues - put from my view, and other young people, it's far less exciting option compared to see the CFL and appears way more "semi-pro" than pro. The games have been awful this year and really don't pull people to watch more.

The people that drag on the CFL like this are not, and have never been, fans.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:41 PM

I find that a lot of those people who drag on the CFL are typically just fantasy football fans. They literally only care or follow the NFL simply because they are in fantasy leagues. They aren’t necessarily fans of the game or the league, rather fantasy football is what draws them in. (Not all fans of course)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:03 PM

I don't get the appeal of fantasy football, CFL or NFL. I tried it once but I found it tedious. I find it somewhat amazing that it's such a huge deal.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:20 PM

I don't shit on nfl or cfl I like both. Cfl fans need to get off their high horse anytime someone criticizes it and nfl fans in Canada need to stop shitting on cfl so much especially when the leading tackler in the NFL this year is Singleton for the Eagles who was dominant with the Stampeders. People in my age group 30s and younger like football we like fantasy and we like both leagues in many markets. Football is the best sport in the world that should be the end point.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:30 PM

Bombers have traded for all star kicker Sergio Castillo from the BC lions

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada