HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 1:56 AM

Is Brookfield up to 25-30 floors yet.? Any new photo updates? Thanks in advance. It will really make a big impact at almost 700 ft/ 64 floors. My estimate is possible top out in May/June but that could change due to possible labor/materials shortages. Anything moving on Angels Flight, or Oceanwide? The photo updates that many of you provide are really interesting to those of us former residents of L.A. who now live elsewhere, but who are still L.A. natives at heart. How about those Dodgers!

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 16, 2021 at 5:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 2:13 AM

Workers haven’t returned to offices en masse. But companies are leasing more space

Employees have not yet returned to offices in large numbers, but commercial real estate leasing is showing signs of growth. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
October 15, 2021

The great post-Labor Day comeback to the office didn’t happen.

COVID-19’s summer surge thwarted expectations that fall would be the time to start working side by side again, with kids back in school and the pandemic on the wane.

Many businesses decided to keep working remotely, but the consensus among corporations seems to be that the office isn’t dead. Office leasing in Los Angeles County showed positive signs in the third quarter as some employers looked ahead and rented space.

For now, though, most office buildings remain sparsely occupied.

“The Delta variant caused some companies to reevaluate their return-to-office plans,” real estate broker Todd Doney of CBRE said. “Many have pushed it into 2022.”

Banking giant Capital One, for example, said last summer that it would reopen offices in September and then pushed the comeback to early November. A few days ago, Capital One told employees that offices will not reopen until sometime in 2022 and that Mondays and Fridays will remain virtual workdays.

“The highly contagious Delta variant has put a damper on our aspirations,” Chief Executive Richard Fairbank said in a statement. He also acknowledged that remote work has been hard on many employees.

“Throughout this pandemic, feelings of Zoom burnout, personal isolation, and a lack of human and team connection have been evident,” Fairbank said.

The concern that people on a Zoom-type teleconference are just waiting for it to end may be among the reasons managers are signing leases for office space.

“I think there’s a little fatigue of people working at home,” Doney said, and CBRE predicts that returns to the office will “pick up briskly” early next year as long as the Delta variant keeps receding and no other powerful variants emerge.

Los Angeles County saw a net loss of 55,600 square feet of leased office space in the third quarter, clearly an improvement from the net losses of 2 million square feet per quarter during the depths of the pandemic last year and early this year.

The overall amount of unleased space increased slightly from the previous quarter to 18.1%. That’s near the worst highs of the Great Recession, but the uptick is due in part to the arrival on the market of nearly 1.3 million square feet of empty offices in newly converted former wholesale fashion showrooms in California Market Center in downtown Los Angeles, CBRE said.

Unleased space is typically referred to as “unoccupied” space, but that term has taken on new meaning as many companies no longer fully occupy the space they rent and may never again fill their offices the way they did before the pandemic. Analysts have begun to try to track how many people show up at the office these days.

After talking to clients and performing surveys, CBRE, calculates that when businesses return to a post-COVID world their employees will on average work remotely more than one and a half days a week nationwide.

In 2018, people worked in their offices an average of 4.4 days a week. The average will drop to about 3.35 days a week after the long-delayed return, CBRE estimates.

The expected cutback in time spent in the office may not translate into big cuts in the amount of space companies lease in the future, Doney said.

“A 24% reduction in office time does not equal 24% less space,” he said, especially if people don’t want to share desks on a rotating basis, or people all come in on the same days like the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday schedule planned by Capital One.

CBRE estimates that as remote workdays for employees remain standard after the pandemic, U.S. companies will reduce their office space by about 9% per employee on average.

Some employers, particularly entertainment and tech companies in the Los Angeles area, have continued to expand. Others such as healthcare management company MedPoint Management and provider of temporary employees Aquent have markedly reduced their offices as remote work proved feasible during the pandemic.

“People will get much more efficient with their space,” said Chris Cooper, a managing director at real estate brokerage Avison Young, which has created a new index measuring the pace of people returning to the office in the downtowns of major U.S. cities.

Tracking daily foot traffic estimates from anonymized cellphone data, the brokerage recently found office visitor volume in Los Angeles down 68% from early March 2020, before the pandemic exodus. San Francisco office visitation was down about 74%, and Boston was the least affected among cities tracked with traffic down 57% from before the pandemic.

Back-to-work data are in demand as employers try to calculate the best time to return to the office and landlords contemplate buying, selling or erecting new buildings, said Sheila Botting, head of professional services in the Americas for Avison Young.

“Everyone is looking for the Goldilocks position — companies don’t want to move too early or too late,” she said.

Similar occupancy results were reported for Los Angeles by Kastle Systems, which provides key-card entry systems used by many companies and tracks patterns of workers card swipes. L.A. offices were about 32% occupied last week, Kastle said, up slightly from the week before. Nationally, average occupancy has risen to 36.1% from 33.6% over four weeks, Kastle said.

Asking rents in Los Angeles rose slightly to $3.88 per square foot per month in the third quarter, CBRE said, because landlords were reluctant to drop the face value of their rents but conceded price reductions to tenants in other ways such as offering them generous allowances to build out their offices and periods of free rent in exchange for signing leases.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 3:18 AM

^ since dtla has a smaller portion of its population made up of daytime office workers, it hopefully isn't hurting as much as certain other cities are, such as SF or chicago.

There was a time when no one wanted to spend much time in dtla, either during the day or certainly round the clock. So dt having a residential base is a new phenomenon for LA....no big deal by the standards of most major cities throughout the world, but not something LA has historically been a part of.

this vid makes me think of the parking lots that used to sit near temple st & the small side street of Fremont....I recall sometimes driving by there & thinking of how those out of the way parts of dtla....not just the major sections....made the area come off as even more abandoned or more unappealing.

The devlpr of these projs has been quirky in the way he has cloned just about all his bldgs, the only one on broadway being different....due to zoning regulations. But I give him credit for taking mainly dead parts of dt & bringing ppl & life to them.

He also installs bric a brac that isn't to everyone's taste....but it does add to the expense of his bldgs....those hallways cost more because of their wainscoating, customized carpets and other faux old european format....the landscaping, fountains, gyms & meeting rms also add to the cost.

His projs have filled out fairly quickly ever since he built his first faux Tuscan in 2002, so there's a market demand for what he provides.

Since I'm now more impressed by a city like london compared with a city like NYC, the non highrise format of something like a Da Vinci proj & even the non modernist theme of them now seem perfectly okay. So now in 2021 the lifeless parking lots & small rundown bldgs scattered throughout dtla....& the continuing massive homeless issue.....make every other complaint about dt seem way less of consequence.....it is what it is.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 9:04 PM

I will Venmo $30 to whomever updates the front page

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 10:02 PM

Under Construction - New Construction

Oceanwide Plaza
49 Stories - Mixed-Use (677') - 183 Hotel Units/164 Condo Units
40 Stories - Residential (530') - 170 Condo Units

(Photo Credit: Urbanize.LA)

Brookfield Tower
64 Stories - Residential (655') - 784 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: Largearch)

Grand Ave
37 Stories - Residential (528') - 436 Rental Units
32 Stories - Hotel (302') - 309 Hotel Units

8th & Figueroa
42 Stories - Residential (501') - 438 Rental Units

Fig+Pico Tower A
37 Stories - Hotel (465') - 727 Hotel Units

520 Mateo
35 Stories - Mixed-Use (390') -475 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: SCB)

Harmony
23 Stories- Residential (284') -178 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [URL=https://urbanize.city/la/post/chinatown-downtown-942-broadway-harmony-construction-apartments[/URL])

Weingart Center
19 Stories- Residential (200') -278 Supportive Housing Units

(Photo Credit: [URL=https://urbanize.city/la/post/construction-begins-las-largest-supportive-housing-development[/URL])

Here are at least the major ones under construction. Let me know if I forgot any, and what low rises are going up. I'll try to get some more done tomorrow/ later this week.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:48 AM

Brookfield keeps making good progress

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Doctorboffin, if you compile all of the under construction and proposed towers, I can update. I would move Oceanwide and 520 Matteo to "On Hold" and we can move them once they resume construction. Keep your bounds within Downtown, Chinatown, City West, and the Arts District and us mods can update.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkef View Post
Brookfield keeps making good progress

Looking good! I wonder if it is visible from a distance yet? I would like to see a new picture from Hollywood(Looking East) and from the popular vantage point at Kenneth Hahn Park. Can anyone take a photo from either of those locations with a good lens?

Last edited by LAnative61; Oct 18, 2021 at 5:29 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:01 PM

I haven't really been able to see Brookfield from Griffith Park yet. I just hiked there yesterday, and it's either blocked by another building, or not tall enough to be seen from that angle yet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:43 PM

Harmony is stalled. Was supposed to start months ago and its crickets, drive by it daily.

Has 520 Mateo started back up? would be great news to hear

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:41 AM

Awesome update!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 8:35 PM

Development Rundown Update

Under Construction - New Construction

Brookfield Tower
64 Stories - Residential (655') - 784 Rental Units

https://www.brookfieldproperties.com]
[/url]
(Photo Credit: Largearch)

Grand Ave
37 Stories - Residential (528') - 436 Rental Units
32 Stories - Hotel (302') - 309 Hotel Units

8th & Figueroa
42 Stories - Residential (501') - 438 Rental Units

Fig+Pico Tower A
37 Stories - Hotel (465') - 727 Hotel Units

Weingart Center
19 Stories- Residential (200') -278 Supportive Housing Units

(Photo Credit: )

On-Hold - New Construction

Oceanwide Plaza
49 Stories - Mixed-Use (677') - 183 Hotel Units/164 Condo Units

520 Mateo
35 Stories - Mixed-Use (390') -475 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: SCB)

Harmony
23 Stories- Residential (284') -178 Rental Units

Approved - New Construction

Olympia
65 Stories - Hotel (852') - 1000 Hotel Units
53 Stories - Residential (652') - 516 Condo Units
43 Stories - Residential (549') - 363 Condo Units

(Photo Credit: Dezeen)

1045 Olive
70 Stories - Residential (810') - 794 Rental Units

Pershing Square Tower
53 Stories - Mixed Use (784') - 190 Hotel Rooms - 31 Condo Units

1000 Hill
60 Stories - Residential (760') - 700 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [URLhttps://urbanize.city/la/post/design-revisions-unveiled-60-story-olympic-hill-tower]Urbanize.LA)

Olympic Tower
58 Stories - Mixed-Use (740') 374 Condo Units - 373 Hotel Rooms - 33,500 square feet of office space

(Photo Credit: [https://archinect.com/news/article/150165908/olympic-tower-a-flashy-new-downtown-la-skyscraper-hopes-to-leave-its-mark-on-the-city-s-skyline]Archinect[/URL])

Times Mirror Square
53 Stories Residnetial (666')

37 Stories Residential (492')

-1,127 Total Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [https://urbanize.city/la/post/onnis-times-mirror-square-development-gets-go-ahead]Urbanize.LA[/URL])

222 W. 2ND STREET
56 Stories - Residential (616') 680 Units

(Photo Credit: [https://urbanize.city/la/post/la-city-council-signs-56-story-dtla-tower]Urbanize.LA[/URL])

8th Grand and Hope
45 Stories - Residential (592') - 580 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [https://urbanize.city/la/post/downtown-8th-hope-mitsui-fudosan]Urbanize.LA[/URL])

350 South Figueroa Street
41 Stories - Residential (480') -570 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [https://urbanize.city/la/post/la-city-council-approves-environmental-report-41-story-dtla-tower]Urbanize.LA[/URL])

Lake on Wilshire
41 Stories - Residential (459') - 478 Rental Units

(Photo Credit: [https://urbanize.city/la/post/fresh-renderings-41-story-tower-planned-near-macarthur-park]Urbanize.LA[/URL])

4th & Hill
33 Stories - Residential (410') - 428 Rental Units

7th & Maple
33 Stories - Residential (370') - 452 Rental Units

845 Olive
29 Stories - Residential (350') 205 Rental Units

Proposed - New Construction

333 S. Figueroa
77 Stories - Mixed-Use (1,108') 599 Hotel Rooms - 242 Condo Units

(Photo Credit: Archinect)

Angels Landing
64 Stories - Mixed-Use (853') 260 Hotel Rooms, 180 Condo Units, 60 Rental Units
48 Stories - Mixed Use (541') 270 Hotel Rooms, 211 Rental Units

6 AM
58 Stories- Mixed-Use (732') 260 Hotel Rooms, 186 Condo Units
58 Stories - Residential (710') 522 Rental Units
The Complex will contain a total of 1,305 Rental Units, 431 Hotel Rooms, 412 Condo Units, and 250,000 sq feet of office space.

1105 Olive

51 Stories - Residential (606') 536 Units

1111 Sunset

49 Stories - Residential (572') 406 Units

30 Stories - Residential (408') 246 Units

17 Stories - Hotel (211 feet) - 180 Hotel Rooms

The complex will contain a total of 737 Residential Units - 180 Room Hotel -48,000 sq feet of Office Space

SIZE="1"](Photo Credit: Urbanize.LA)[/SIZE]

1111 S. HILL STREET
43 Stories - Mixed-Use (520') 319 Condo Units, 160 Hotel Rooms

Fourth & Central
44 stories -Residential (496') 449 Condo Units

27 Stories -Residential (292') 425 Rental Units

27 Stories - Residential (284') 312 Rental Units

18 Stories - Residential (181') 144 Rental Units

12 Stories - Office (168') 182,000 sq feet of Office Space

12 Stories -Office (166') 137,699 sq feet of Office Space

10 Stories - Residendital (124') 123 Condo Units

6 Stories -Office - 81,311 sq feet of Office Space

6 Stories - Mixed-Use - 68 Rental Units, 68 Hotel Units

The Albany
37 Stories -Hotel (479') -730 Hotel Rooms

Still have to get some of the smaller projects, particularly for the Proposed section. Is there a height minimum? Also, I wasn't sure if 111 Sunset qualifies as downtown or not, but I threw it in just to be safe. This has been much more arduous than I ever expected it to be. No wonder why it was put off for so long lol. Let me know if there are any massive errors or anything thus far.

If you unironically want to send me some cash, I can't say that I wouldn't appreciate it immensely, but I am just happy to help. My Venmo is @Kade-Byrand and my Paypal is Doctorboffin@gmail.com

Also, if you want me to link each building to its diagram counterpart, I can do that too. Shameless self-promotion there since I've done 75% of the illustrations for these guys.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:32 PM

^Amazing to finally see this get updated. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 9:35 PM
你的媽媽

Great work! Lots of impressive projects in the pipeline.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:33 PM

Great work on the Up Date ! This is the Sky Scraper Page as it once was... nice.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 11:39 PM

Thank you, DoctorBoffin! Been how many years without an update?

I paid you on Venmo, please confirm receipt!

Would love to see low-rise and other projects like parks and transit if you have time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 12:00 AM
DENNAB

We've also heard 695' and 735' for the Brookfield Tower though renderings make it look 695', a little shorter than its neighbor the 777 tower

333 Fig is de facto cancelled due to a corruption scandal last I heard. I think anything that's Chinese money is also out (Olympia etc.)

Quote:
Great work! Lots of impressive projects in the pipeline.
I don't think most will get built unfortunately because it's Los Angeles but I'd love to be wrong. I think 1000 hill, 1045 Olive and maybe Angels Landing have a shot. Not sure about the others...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:10 AM

What about the (proposed) Onni tower in the arts district? https://urbanize.city/la/post/downto...ssion-approval

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 7:24 AM

The mesh coverings on the podiums downtown look “fine” during the day, but at night you can clearly see through and it’s absolutely hideous. I wish the city would do something about this. There are a couple examples of podium coverings done nicely but many are not. Looks great in renderings, in real life, not so much.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 4:10 PM

Don't forget this tower at Olympic/Francisco:

https://axisgfa.com/our-projects/dtl...gh-rise-tower/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations