HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:04 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Dalhousie School of Planning

Hi everyone!

I'm in the final year of my urban geography degree at McGill, and am now trying to make up my mind about what comes next. If I do ultimately decide on grad school, it'll be for planning, and considering Halifax is close to home and likely has the most Atlantic Canada-specific expertise, Dal is on my shortlist. Having lurked the Halifax subforums for a few years, I understand that this is an exciting (if sometimes frustrating) city to learn more about planning in.

I'm wondering if any of you fourmers have any experience with Dal in general and the School of Planning in particular and could give me your impressions on the strengths and weaknesses of the school. I'm also interested in how it stacks up as far transportation planning expertise is concerned.

Thank you!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm in the final year of my urban geography degree at McGill, and am now trying to make up my mind about what comes next. If I do ultimately decide on grad school, it'll be for planning, and considering Halifax is close to home and likely has the most Atlantic Canada-specific expertise, Dal is on my shortlist. Having lurked the Halifax subforums for a few years, I understand that this is an exciting (if sometimes frustrating) city to learn more about planning in.

I'm wondering if any of you fourmers have any experience with Dal in general and the School of Planning in particular and could give me your impressions on the strengths and weaknesses of the school. I'm also interested in how it stacks up as far transportation planning expertise is concerned.

Thank you!
Dr. Grant is pretty spectacular! haha

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:44 PM

Dal's school of planning seems to be pretty well-regarded on a national level. There is a very large undergraduate program and a small (~20 students/year) masters program. Focus is very much locally-based - Halifax Peninsula gets a TON of attention, then larger HRM, then Canada, then international. There is unfortunately a lack of focus on Atlantic Canada outside of NS. There are a number of transportation planning classes; from what I understand they are crosslisted as engineering classes so they tend to be fairly technical. There seems to be a good balance between design, policy, and what I would describe as "urban studies" - city-related stuff that is not directly within the realm of land-use planning. Coastal/environmental planning is a major area of focus, and despite the frustration over red tape often expressed on this forum, Halifax seems to be on the leading edge of 21st-century planning initiatives in terms of mid-sized Canadian cities, so even living here for a couple years could be a useful experience if you are considering working as a planner in a Canadian city in the 200,000-1,000,000 range. That said, Halifax has some odd cultural and geographical quirks that force different approaches than more "straightforward" cities like London ON, Saskatoon or Moncton. There is also quite a bit of interaction between the School of Planning, the municipality, and the planning/development sector. There is unfortunately very little collaboration between the Schools of Planning and Architecture even though they are technically the same faculty.

Based on what I've heard, Dal's program falls midway on the "practicality" scale between UBC (very theoretical) and Ryerson (very practical), and the location of the school at Dal's Sexton (downtown) campus means that students are fully immersed in the urban environment. Graduates seem to get jobs and get published.

Last edited by Hali87; Jun 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:24 PM
opinionated so and so

I took a class there as an elective in my MBA last year, it was fantastic. The students in MPlan are all pretty focused. Most of them do a summer coop term out in the world working for municipal or private developers. They have some great well renowned profs like Dr Grant but they also bring in ringers like Colin Whitcomb from Hardman Group, who is an actual working developer, to teach planning economics. Great practical application mixed with theory.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General