HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I would check Air BnB or VRBO for condo rentals...
Good suggestions. I will definitely be looking at them.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
At any of the popular BC Provincial campgrounds it'll be almost impossible to get a site at this point. Which is too bad because the BC Provincial parks are fantastic. But if you have some dates in mind I'd still check www.discovercapming.ca to see if there are any sites available for the time you'll be through. A lot of the BC campgrounds have first come first served sites, but you need to get there pretty early to get one.

You'll have better luck at private campgrounds, I would just search for campgrounds in the areas you want to go to. Also you should be able to find hotel accommodation in Revelstoke or Golden without too much trouble. Near Jasper, maybe Hinton ? Not a great place to stay though.
Thanks for the information! I'll be looking at that camping website for sure. We will probably looking for the first come first served sites and will aim to be at the campground at early as we can get there. But being able to reserve would be great for some nights too. What is a good time to arrive at the campground if it's first come first served?

I'm glad that Golden and Revelstoke are easier because I'm more interested in spending time in Glacier, Mount Revelstoke, Yoho and Kootenay over Jasper and Banff parks. I've only been in the area of all those parks once and I was a teenager.

Living in Northern Ontario, I'm not used to park campgrounds being full or hotels being fully booked for so many nights.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I would check Air BnB or VRBO for condo rentals...
How about Glamping?

...presenting 'Bin There (done that) Campground'

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/it-s-so-sa...abin-1.4472041

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Winnipeg's the biggest city in Canada I haven't been to so I'm trying to get out there in August. Think I'm going to take about 10 days and do Winnipeg -> Minneapolis -> Chicago.
Nice!

Winnipeg and Minneapolis would complement each other well as vacation destinations (say about 4 days in each with a couple of travel days) but I might suggest leaving Chicago as a standalone trip. I think it's easily worth a week on its own, especially if you take the time to do things like spend a day at the beach downtown (with a backdrop of skyscrapers, very cool), go to a ballgame, or visit any of the suburban attractions like zoos, theme parks, race tracks, etc.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:09 PM

I've done Chicago for a long weekend before and been three times for work so I've captured most of the main touristy things.

Mostly want to finish up there for a cheap flight to Toronto and to check out the Northwestern campus since it's a bit of a fantasy for me to do an MBA there (when someone offers to pay for it...)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:11 PM

^ Yeah, then in that case a couple of days would make sense. Bon voyage!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:55 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm off for 4 weeks and will be driving West. We will be camping (tent) and staying some nights at hotels.

We're hoping to make it to the Rockies and maybe a bit beyond. I bought a Parks Canada Discovery Pass and we hope to visit Grasslands in SK and then Waterton Lakes in AB and then up to Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks.

The only major city in Canada that I've never been to is Calgary so going there is in the plans. We've been to Edmonton but will probably go there as well.

Question:

What would be our best options for staying overnight in (or near) the rockies if we don't have reservations? Either hotel or camping with a tent. I don't like paying big bucks. (more than $150.00 per night for a hotel) Do any decent hotels/motels exist that aren't very expensive? Any campgrounds where it's not impossible to find a site?
Summer accommodation in Banff (whether Park campground or townsite) is very, very difficult to find. I would try to reserve something ASAP. Good luck.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
Summer accommodation in Banff (whether Park campground or townsite) is very, very difficult to find. I would try to reserve something ASAP. Good luck.
There may be nothing in the Parks of Jasper and Banff other than a few B&Bs. What is available is quite high priced. Talk with a couple from Australia last weekend and they had a hard time finding anything before the long weekend. so anything after that is booked. As for Camping if you haven't book yet you may be out of luck unless you go back country.

As for pricing nothing under 300 at the moment. You may want to check out Deadmans flats in the Banff area and Hinton or the Overlander lodge for Jasper Just east of the park gates and about a 30-40 min drive from the town site. Going west of Jasper Valmont is you best bet. If you want some good camping head north to Grande Cache and the Winmore Wilderness.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada