HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
I was driving thru tempe last night and saw a Macayos coming soon sign on the old Dennys right of Scottsdale and the 202. So I assume the depot cantina will be no more?
I doubt it, the Depot Cantina is probably their most popular spot.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
I was driving thru tempe last night and saw a Macayos coming soon sign on the old Dennys right of Scottsdale and the 202. So I assume the depot cantina will be no more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I doubt it, the Depot Cantina is probably their most popular spot.
Interesting though that there is a sign at the old Denny's--I assume the area couldn't support two Macayo's. If they are moving and looking to sell the land, I would hope Tempe would buy the building for preservation and for future use if/when commuter rail ever happens. And Macayo's also owns the neighboring overflow lot on the other side of the light rail tracks that could be a redevelopment candidate.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:15 PM
Modulator

Cool

Ok, if this doesn't prove the local media is watching these forums for their development news stories...

Quote:
Woody's Macayo near downtown Phoenix has closed.

The most recent location of the original Woody's Macayo opened in 2017 near Central Avenue and Camelback Road. It replaced Macayo's iconic temple-shaped restaurant which was demolished in 2016.

That location's last day was New Year's Eve. News of the closure was announced last week in a news release.

In 2019, Macayo's sold its brand and most of its restaurants to Kind Hospitality, a company that operates other restaurant brands, including Panera, New York Pizza Department, and O.H.S.O.'s airport locations. (In 2017, Macayo's closed its Scottsdale location. The following year, locations in Casa Grande and Tucson also closed).

Two restaurants -- the now-closed Woody's Macayo and Macayo's Depot Cantina (which currently remains open) -- were owned and operated by the children of Woody and Victoria Johnson, who founded Macayo's in 1946, under a two-year agreement, said Nava Singam, owner of Kind Hospitality, in a statement.

She also said in her statement that the Tempe Depot location would "remain open until further notice."

"We're committed to upholding the visions and traditions that have long made Macayo's a favorite in the Arizona restaurant scene," she said. "We have big plans to expand in the year ahead and look forward to sharing those plans with the general public soon."

While not yet officially announced, there is a Macayo's "coming soon" sign on the former Denny's location near Scottsdale Road and the Loop 202 (Red Mountain) off-ramp. A spokesperson confirmed the project to ABC15 last year and said the opening was planned for the first quarter of 2020.

In November, Macayo's applied for a liquor license for the Tempe location as well as another location near the US 60 and Superstition Springs Blvd. Specific details on the potential Mesa location were not immediately known.

Macayo's has other locations in Glendale, Goodyear, Mesa, and Phoenix."]PHOENIX — Woody's Macayo near downtown Phoenix has closed.

The most recent location of the original Woody's Macayo opened in 2017 near Central Avenue and Camelback Road. It replaced Macayo's iconic temple-shaped restaurant which was demolished in 2016.

That location's last day was New Year's Eve. News of the closure was announced last week in a news release.

In 2019, Macayo's sold its brand and most of its restaurants to Kind Hospitality, a company that operates other restaurant brands, including Panera, New York Pizza Department, and O.H.S.O.'s airport locations. (In 2017, Macayo's closed its Scottsdale location. The following year, locations in Casa Grande and Tucson also closed).

Two restaurants -- the now-closed Woody's Macayo and Macayo's Depot Cantina (which currently remains open) -- were owned and operated by the children of Woody and Victoria Johnson, who founded Macayo's in 1946, under a two-year agreement, said Nava Singam, owner of Kind Hospitality, in a statement.

She also said in her statement that the Tempe Depot location would "remain open until further notice."

"We're committed to upholding the visions and traditions that have long made Macayo's a favorite in the Arizona restaurant scene," she said. "We have big plans to expand in the year ahead and look forward to sharing those plans with the general public soon."

While not yet officially announced, there is a Macayo's "coming soon" sign on the former Denny's location near Scottsdale Road and the Loop 202 (Red Mountain) off-ramp. A spokesperson confirmed the project to ABC15 last year and said the opening was planned for the first quarter of 2020.

In November, Macayo's applied for a liquor license for the Tempe location as well as another location near the US 60 and Superstition Springs Blvd. Specific details on the potential Mesa location were not immediately known.

Macayo's has other locations in Glendale, Goodyear, Mesa, and Phoenix.
https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-new-years-eve

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 12:52 PM
self-important urbanista

Condesa Closed

It never really opened, and now it's closed:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...s-than-a-month

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:27 PM
E pluribus unum

I liked that the "new" Woody's Macayo on Central wasn't as much of a death trap as the iconic Mayan pyramid (though nowhere close to the same scale, the dark, poorly lit hallways always kind of reminded me of the Beverly Hills Supper Club in Kentucky, which suffered from a fire that killed over 160 patrons), but I ate there twice last month (in Midtown for training/conferences) and the food wasn't nearly as good as I remembered. I didn't think the service was all that bad, but there's a litany of other places in the area I should've considered going for Mexican food if I wasn't so hellbent on being nostalgic and not wanting to veer too far off of Central. So much has changed, for the better, in Midtown Phoenix since I last worked there in 2009 that I'm not anywhere close to being as familiar with it as I previously thought.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It never really opened, and now it's closed:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...s-than-a-month
Sounds like cashflow problems. "Landlord Dispute"

Never got the restaurant opened and probably didn't pay rent.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 11:47 PM

Sorry for the terrible photo quality, was just driving by. Dog Haus signage is up so that must mean opening is imminent.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 3:58 PM

The global French restaurant Josephine's on Portland next to Cambria is open. Didn't see a menu, but it smelled pretty great.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
The global French restaurant Josephine's on Portland next to Cambria is open. Didn't see a menu, but it smelled pretty great.
Made it there last night. A great addition to downtown. Very well done on the interior and the food is great. Little bar behind it, Coup de Grace, is fantastic as well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Made it there last night. A great addition to downtown. Very well done on the interior and the food is great. Little bar behind it, Coup de Grace, is fantastic as well.
What did you get? I can't find a menu, but in an interview the chef says that he's spinning global French (spring rolls with shrimp and trinity a la N'awlins and remoulade dipping sauce, and a Balinese satay that he cooks at the table on a cast iron pot with coals). Curious to see what the bigger menu is.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Ok, if this doesn't prove the local media is watching these forums for their development news stories...

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-new-years-eve
I guess they mean Indianola and Central,lol. This must mean those new apartments from Aura should be imminent!!!!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:38 PM

With great sorrow, Mother Bunch Brewery joins the roster of shuttering downtown venues.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 9:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
With great sorrow, Mother Bunch Brewery joins the roster of shuttering downtown venues.
Shame. That was a nice place. I think I've read somewhere that the average life span of a restaurant is seven years. Mother Brunch got close with five.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Shame. That was a nice place. I think I've read somewhere that the average life span of a restaurant is seven years. Mother Brunch got close with five.
I blame location. Nice place but bad location. OK beers. If it was between the 7s it would've been sustainable I feel. I only went 2-3 times because the walk to difficult, even in good weather from Roosevelt or Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I blame location. Nice place but bad location. OK beers. If it was between the 7s it would've been sustainable I feel. I only went 2-3 times because the walk to difficult, even in good weather from Roosevelt or Downtown.
I tend to agree. Although, the 7th St. frontage seemed to help them with pre-game crowds. The food was great, the beer was average. Not the position you want to be in as a brewery.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:10 PM

Its a shame restaurants are such a tough business especially when decent spots close.

It's true however that only a small fraction of restaurants last more than a few years.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:31 PM
Modulator

One closes down and 1 is coming up. Huss coming to Phoenix Convention Center.

Quote:
This award-winning Tempe brewery is coming to downtown Phoenix. Here's what we know
Tirion Morris, Arizona RepublicPublished 7:00 a.m. MT Jan. 7, 2020

Huss Brewing, one of Arizona's largest independent breweries, announced plans to open a two-story taproom and restaurant in downtown Phoenix this fall.

The new location, Huss' third along with existing taprooms in Tempe and uptown Phoenix, will be built into the Phoenix Convention Center on Monroe Street between Second and Third streets.

The location will be Huss' first full-service restaurant and will feature two floors of indoor and outdoor seating. Located on the north side of the convention center, the new Huss taproom and restaurant provides an opportunity to introduce out-of-town visitors to the Arizona brand.

Why Huss wanted to expand downtown

Husband and wife team and brewery co-owners Leah and Jeff Huss have been contemplating a downtown location for some time. Huss ran a three-month-long pop up in the now-closed Roosevelt Row food hall DeSoto Central Market to test the waters.

After making the decision to move downtown, the Convention Center location was the perfect opportunity, Leah Huss says.

"Because it's so far south of Roosevelt, it's kind of in its own world over there," Huss says.

Due to the convention center's proximity to sports stadiums, hotels and downtown events, the stretch in front of the Convention Center is one of the most walked pedestrian areas downtown, she adds.

Huss hopes to draw in some of those pedestrians for a beer and dinner at the two-story tap room on their way to a game or concert.

Look for a 'Southwest feel' at the taproom

The first floor of the new location will feature a bar, roll-up garage door windows and a small outdoor seating area.

The indoor-outdoor theme will continue to the second floor, with a "super temperature controlled patio," Huss says.

The entire space is intended to represent Arizona. When designing the space, Huss didn't want the taproom to look like it could fit in anywhere around the country. To ground it here in Phoenix, the restaurant will feature copper finishes and Southwestern tile.

Representing the state they call home was important for the Huss' especially at the Convention Center, a hub for out of town visitors. The local Arizona influence will be represented not only in the design of the taproom but in the food as well.

Here's what to expect on the menu

The taproom at the Huss brewery in Tempe doesn't serve food; the uptown location serves a small menu of shareable flat breads and boards. The downtown location will offer the most expansive menu yet.

Some favorites from uptown such as the pretzel and sausage boards will make their way onto the downtown menu, which will continue to have a focus on shareable options.

Huss Uptown currently sources a lot of its food items including as locally made bread and sausages from Arizona purveyors. Huss hopes to expand this local connection even more at the new restaurant with the expanded menu.

Along with a new menu, some new beers are also in the works for all three Huss taprooms.

In anticipation of the downtown location, Huss ordered a new seven-barrel brewing system, which will allow for production of small-batch experimental brews specifically for the taprooms.

The downtown location will feature at least 20 beers on tap, Huss says, including Husstler Oktoberfest, Magic in the Ivy Pale Ale, Copper State IPA and Scottsdale Blonde.
Source: https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ll/2824687001/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
One closes down and 1 is coming up. Huss coming to Phoenix Convention Center.

Source: https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ll/2824687001/
Great news that a new brewery going into that space...bummer it wasn't O.H.S.O. as originally proposed in the design concepts. Fingers crossed for O.H.S.O to take over DeSoto

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Fingers crossed for O.H.S.O to take over DeSoto
That would be excellent!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Great news that a new brewery going into that space...bummer it wasn't O.H.S.O. as originally proposed in the design concepts. Fingers crossed for O.H.S.O to take over DeSoto
Have there been any hints that might happen? I love O.H.S.O., but their expansion strategy has been to head northeast from their original location in Arcadia. I've love to see them come southwest to downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest