HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
If the Purple Line was created in a vacuum, I would agree. Its not perfect. However, considering the system it is connecting to, it's quite nice. Its making a nice addition to the DC metro transit system. The Purple Line along with the Silver Line segment 2 are worthy projects. Question though, is there any plans(or need) to add more lines within the city of DC?
Because Rosslyn is a choke point for trains heading from Virginia into DC, there is talk of one day separating the blue line at Rosslyn so that it heads north to Georgetown and then east to Union Station, potentially under M Street through the West End, Golden Triangle, Thomas Circle, Convention Center, and Mt Vernon Triangle. After reaching Union Station, it could either go east under H Street or south to the Navy Yard/Ballpark area. But that is a long long long way off. It's something China would probably get done in 5-6 years, or various European countries would complete in a decade or two, but here in the wonderful USA it will probably take 30-40 years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:22 PM
TL;DR

^ Apart from the aforementioned Blue Line subway, which will eventually be an unavoidable need, the only rail projects planned in DC proper are streetcars.

In other news, it looks like construction on the Potomac Yard metro station is now firmly underway and foundations are going in...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 10:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
It's something China would probably get done in 5-6 years, or various European countries would complete in a decade or two, but here in the wonderful USA it will probably take 30-40 years.
I'm not sure that's true. With a new era of American government with Republican power and influence deservedly kept to a minimum, with progressive policies in the areas of transportation and energy, a revamped New Starts program and a firm commitment to DC and Metro, I can see a project like that underway in 10 years. That's best case scenario and, yes, just my opinion.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 6:24 PM

Frederick Douglass bridge

D.C. marks construction milestone on new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge
Six iconic arches are up, and the $480 million project is on track for completion next year.

Workers put the finishing touches on the arches over the new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge in Washington. (Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)

By Luz Lazo
August 13, 2020
Washington Post

"The coronavirus pandemic has not slowed construction on the largest public infrastructure project in the District’s history.

The new $480 million Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge is rising over the Anacostia River and is on track to open next year, D.C. officials said Thursday, as they marked the completion of six arches on the new span.

“These beautiful arches will serve as a tribute to Frederick Douglass and a reminder to all Washingtonians to continue the fight to end Taxation Without Representation for his adopted hometown,” Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) said in a statement Thursday, alluding to the city’s push to become the nation’s 51st state..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...morial-bridge/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 3:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover99 View Post
I moved to dc recently. Transit is lacking.

The metro is designed for suburban=city commute, and not really for moving around DC. There needs to be more light rail/street cars/something else that makes DC more vibrant downtown. Right now its not fulfilling its potential as a capital city center. Samller European cities like Hamburg or Brussels are far more vibrant downtown, and the capital of the US needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination.
Needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination? Are you kidding? If travelers have the money to visit DC from outside the US, they have enough money to be able to get around DC without issue. I mean, it's no secret that DC doesn't have the transit clout that Paris or London have, but that should shock anyone. It's a large city in the US, it's actually kind of an outlier for a city of its size.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover99 View Post
I moved to dc recently. Transit is lacking.

The metro is designed for suburban=city commute, and not really for moving around DC. There needs to be more light rail/street cars/something else that makes DC more vibrant downtown. Right now its not fulfilling its potential as a capital city center. Samller European cities like Hamburg or Brussels are far more vibrant downtown, and the capital of the US needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination.
I do wish transit within DC was vastly better (I visited Melbourne earlier this year and it was a dream with all of the tram lines, though obviously it's much bigger than DC)... however when I lived in DC I would typically just hop on CaBi to get somewhere relatively quickly.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:36 AM

Yeah this is a US problem, not really a DC problem. As sad as it is to say, public transit in DC is better than almost any other US city. Not a lot of federal support for these things.

The current administration promised a transit infrastructure bill but never even tried to get anything done. Maybe next time it will work.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:13 PM

Purple Line

The Purple Line is on the verge of collapse — and Hogan is silent

Washington Post
Sept. 24, 2020

"WITH THE notable exception of Superfund sites and the occasional bridge collapse, rarely are failures of public planning, administration and good sense as glaringly visible as what is unfolding right now in the suburbs of D.C., where a $5.6 billion, three-decade partnership to build a 16-mile light rail line just north of the nation’s capital is on the verge of collapse.

Midway through the massive Purple Line construction project, intended to connect Maryland’s two most populous localities, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, and revitalize run-down neighborhoods, contractors are packing up and preparing to quit the job amid a dispute over delays and cost overruns with the state. That would leave miles of ripped-up roadways and half-finished bridges and tunnels — a tableau of dysfunction and a fiasco for all to see..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...71f_story.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:14 PM

Thought it was dead in the water but it looks like the PL hasn't been significantly interrupted, it's been taken over by MDOT and MTA. Hopefully the financial side will be resolved with the banks.

https://www.sourceofthespring.com/si...-wayne-avenue/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Did anyone really think this was dead? I didn't think for a second this stoppage was anything more than a hiccup.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Did anyone really think this was dead? I didn't think for a second this stoppage was anything more than a hiccup.
It hasn't died because the bank granted an extension; if MDOT and PLTP don't reach a settlement by the end of the month, the loan will default. This means MDOT would have to find a new partnership while they go to court for years with PLTP, all while facing a potential transportation budget cut due to covid. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:37 AM

Silver line Phase II Pushed To Fall 2021

Silver Line Phase II Pushed to At Least Fall 2021 restonnow.com

Silver Line Phase 2 Update (3.17 MB PDF file) wmata.com

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:58 PM

Union Station

Elections have consequences. It is good to see the Federal Railroad Administration willing to reduce the number of parking spots.

Federal Railroad Administration Will Revisit Union Station Proposal

February 10, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

"It appears that the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) listened to those who registered their disapproval of the recommended path forward for the expansion of Union Station.

Last week, the FRA announced that it is reconsidering the contents of its draft environmental impact statement (EIS) rather than moving forward with any alternatives at this time:

Following the end of the comment period for the Draft Environmental Impact Statement on September 28, 2020, FRA decided to revisit project planning for the Preferred Alternative. Informed by the feedback received from agencies, stakeholders, and the general public, FRA is presently working with the Project Proponents (Union Station Redevelopment Corporation and Amtrak) to review and refine project elements in cooperation with other key stakeholders.

When the FRA released the draft EIS in 2019, developer Akridge (who controls the development air rights above the Union Station railyard) spoke out against the liberal parking provisions included in the recommended configurations. Shortly afterward, others added their voices to the outcry against the presented options, including neighbors, councilmembers, the Mayor, DC's delegate to the House of Representatives, and the National Capital Planning Commission."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...proposal/17868

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good news indeed.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:31 PM

Metro Says Silver Line Extension Won’t Open Until 2022
DCist | March 5, 2021 | Jordan Pascale

Quote:
Metro says the Silver Line extension from Wiehle-Reston to Ashburn won’t open in 2021, as previously expected.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is in charge of building the 23-mile, six-station extension, announced Friday that it would be prepared to hand off the extension to WMATA around Labor Day of this year.

The project’s “substantial completion” means it will then be up to Metro to determine if the project is up to standards.

Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld says that means passenger service won’t start until at least 2022.

source

Quote:
If the line does open in early 2022, some stations may not open. Three stations, Reston Town Center, Innovation Center and Loudoun Gateway, are on the list of 22 stations that are slated to close to save money. That could change if federal relief funding, currently making its way through the Senate, passes.
Seems like this is unlikely to happen since the COVID bill is expected to be passed and signed this week. Still, I'm why Reston Town Center would be included on the list of closures? Other than Dulles, it seems like Reston Town Center is the only other station on this extension that actually "serves" a destination (yes it's in the freeway rather than in the middle of Reston Town Center). I guess it's because their plan is to close every other station to limit the gaps between open stations but it still seems wrong to cut off the one other station on this extension that serves a "destination."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Metro Says Silver Line Extension Won’t Open Until 2022
DCist | March 5, 2021 | Jordan Pascale

source

Seems like this is unlikely to happen since the COVID bill is expected to be passed and signed this week. Still, I'm why Reston Town Center would be included on the list of closures? Other than Dulles, it seems like Reston Town Center is the only other station on this extension that actually "serves" a destination (yes it's in the freeway rather than in the middle of Reston Town Center). I guess it's because their plan is to close every other station to limit the gaps between open stations but it still seems wrong to cut off the one other station on this extension that serves a "destination."
True but the question is for the Reston Town Center station, are there crossovers before or after that station that would enable a train to turnback? If so I agree with you, if not, there's your problem!

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:33 AM

I think it's got more to do with the "every other station" thing than anything else, and the alternative would be closing Ashburn, Airport, and Herndon, which are probably the three stations with the highest potential ridership. Ashburn being the terminus, Airport being an airport, and Herndon having the largest parking garage around.

RTC won't have a park and ride, and maybe that is going to hurt ridership in the near term. At least until the new construction around the station is completed in a few years. Eventually, RTC will be the 'destination' station, but it's still kind of disconnected from the places that a lot of people want to visit. Over half a mile walk to its namesake.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:16 PM

DC - Richmond rail

This is fantastic news.

Buttigieg joins Northam to seal $3.7 billion deal to expand passenger rail between D.C., Richmond

By Michael Martz
Richmond Times-Dispatch
March 30, 2021

"Virginia has sealed the deal on a $3.7 billion rail package with CSX Corp., Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express that will allow expanded passenger rail travel between Washington, D.C., and Richmond, including more trains to Main Street Station in the heart of downtown.

Gov. Ralph Northam signed agreements with the freight railway company, national passenger rail service and Northern Virginia commuter network on Tuesday in a ceremony at the Alexandria Amtrak station. Alexandria will be a key link between trains coming from all over Virginia and a new railroad bridge across the Potomac River to Union Station in Washington..."

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-...0a7f40f8a.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:06 AM

This is a little of topic, but gotta say that that bridge looks really cool.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 8:57 PM

This is incredible news.

CSX Starts Sale for Virginia’s $3.7B Rail Initiative

Written by Marybeth Luczak
Railway Age
April 15, 2021

"The “Transforming Rail in Virginia” initiative, which Gov. Ralph Northam unveiled in December 2019, will “expand Amtrak and VRE [Virginia Railway Express] rail services, create a pathway for the separation of freight and passenger rail in Virginia, and preserve future rail corridors.” The commonwealth, Amtrak, CSX and VRE finalized agreements last month.

CSX said it will sell certain interests in three CSX-owned line segments for a total of $525 million. According to the initiative, Virginia will acquire 384 miles of CSX right-of-way and 223 miles of track in rail corridors paralleling I-95, I-64 and I-85 (see map below)."

Image courtesy of Railway Age.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...RAchannel=news

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation