HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 10:03 PM

Nice pictures of the inside... looks great.

I still can't believe there are 3 subways in a 6 block area along Central downtown.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
BANNED

The kid in that subway told me they get all of their pastries, breakfast paninis, and coffee drinks from starbucks. He might have been blowing smoke.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:24 AM

Looks like some potential movement on the Luhr's City Center project? FAA permit applied for on 02/13/13 for a 262' building with a construction schedule of 10/2013 to 01/2016.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...seID=183160119

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Looks like some potential movement on the Luhr's City Center project? FAA permit applied for on 02/13/13 for a 262' building with a construction schedule of 10/2013 to 01/2016.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...seID=183160119
Is that a hotel that's supposed to be built there? Also, is that for a 262' tower crane or for a 262' building?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 2:19 PM

I think it looks to be a 262 building. That's what i took from the permit.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Ooooh a gymrat sighting! Where ya been, buddy?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:26 PM

Been in rehearsal for a show coming up at Phoenix Theatre.

Been keeping an eye on things though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:58 AM

An FAA permit was issued in 2008 that has since expired. Is there any reason, aside from the market being better, to expect that something actually happens this time?

2008 FAA permit:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...eCaseID=591174

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:13 AM

Is new proposed buildings going in between the two exsiting Luhrs towers? Like shown in the first page of this Thread?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
Is new proposed buildings going in between the two exsiting Luhrs towers? Like shown in the first page of this Thread?
I believe it's supposed to go in place of this existing building:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:34 PM

At one point, I think I read that the plan was to reuse the facade from the existing building. Anyone know if that is still the case? Or was that ever the case (I have an admittedly shitty memory for things like this)?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:07 PM

/\The facade to be reused was/is the arcade between the tower and building along Jefferson.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:24 PM

Concerning this part of downtwon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\The facade to be reused was/is the arcade between the tower and building along Jefferson.
Wasn't some Korean Dude from L.A. suppose to gut the building where the police museum was and take the entire building with some Internet Medical Record Company as an admin office while at the same time build a million square foot building at 12th and Buckeye Rd for operations. The guy talked a hell of a fight but what happened?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:53 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Wasn't some Korean Dude from L.A. suppose to gut the building where the police museum was and take the entire building with some Internet Medical Record Company as an admin office while at the same time build a million square foot building at 12th and Buckeye Rd for operations. The guy talked a hell of a fight but what happened?
I believe thats still happening, in some capacity at least. I'm not sure if they're moving into any of the Luhrs buildings or not though. I believe (former Mayor) Phil Gordon is working with them in some kind of advisory role.

Here's their website:

http://www.healthcaretransformationinstitute.org/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 2:59 AM

Quote:
I believe it's supposed to go in place of this existing building:

So stupid. I guess I don't know the condition of the building, and a 264' hotel would be a great addition I'm sure, but I can't help but feel disgusted that this building will be demolished. If the other Luhrs buildings filled up, and the new structure was a done deal, then maybe I'd feel better.

But, I just envision a parking lot next to half-vacant historic buildings. Just shouldn't work this way. This structure should have a cafe and boutique on the ground floor and lofts on top, next to condos/hotel in the taller Luhrs (which would have more than a Subway for retail).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:08 AM

I really don't get why they can't use the facade of the old building and then build above it. I get it that it's not structurally sound overall but why can't you build another wall directly behind it, supporting the facade, and then continue upward? I think it would give the hotel a really unique look, especially here in Phoenix.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
I really don't get why they can't use the facade of the old building and then build above it. I get it that it's not structurally sound overall but why can't you build another wall directly behind it, supporting the facade, and then continue upward? I think it would give the hotel a really unique look, especially here in Phoenix.
There was an old historic building on the north side of Columbus, OH that was recently rehabbed/added onto (up) like that. It can be done.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:08 PM

renderings?

Are there any renderings for the initial project/tower? I saw the elevation in the first part of this thread but it only shows the first couple of floors. Does anyone have a full rendering or elevation for the new tower? Forgive me if it has been posted already, but I looked through the thread and didn't see any - although, I guess it might be obsolete since this is an old proposal and the design might be completely different now compared to several years ago...Anyway, thank you in advance if anyone has any info...
OZ...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:39 AM

I think there saying the height is 264 feet! I thought that the new building was going in the middle of the two old towers like on page 1 but someone said its going somewhere else on the lot! I hope not cause the pick for page 1 looks really cool even with just showing half of it! Hopefully some renderings show up here soon!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:09 AM

AFAIK, there are multiple parts/phases to this project. One included a new tower set between the two existing buildings, but that was further down the line and may even be off the table.

The first phase is for a hotel on the corner of the lot, which I assume is this 264' tower. There are renderings of that building in this thread somewhere, IIRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest