HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 6:59 AM

timbad - as you probably know Lone Mountain was a cemetery. A friend of mine has worked there with construction. He tells me that the staff at lone mountain hate it when they have to did in the ground as they often find human remains.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:11 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
...they often find human remains.
well, I certainly didn't put two and two together to imagine that! thanks for that little tidbit, Jerry - I always appreciate when we can make connections to the larger historical picture

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:20 PM

Floating fire station 35

I had missed that the floating fire station (for Station 35) had arrived last month along the Embarcadero! (oops, sorry for large size)

source

longer youtube video about it

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:34 AM

That's a pretty nice find!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:13 PM

1288 Howard Street - Fire !!!

01/31/2021 - It appears there was a fire at the construction site. I could smell the smoke with a odor of burning tar paper. I heard one fire engine to respond & the fire was extinguished quickly.

I have seen too many buildings south of Market at this very vulnerable stage burn. At this had happened in the early hours of the morning it would probably have been a much worse outcome. My worst fear happened today!

!! Fire

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:38 PM

1298 Howard Street

What terrible news! That's the site for 1288/1298 Howard Street, planned to bring 124 apartments split between two buildings.

From that photo, it looks like the smoke is just coming from the Alley building, which is planned to created 22 units.

Keep us updated!

Quote:
01/31/2021 - It appears there was a fire at the construction site. I could smell the smoke with a odor of burning tar paper. I heard one fire engine to respond & the fire was extinguished quickly.

I have seen too many buildings south of Market at this very vulnerable stage burn. At this had happened in the early hours of the morning it would probably have been a much worse outcome. My worst fear happened today!

!! Fire

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 10:53 PM

It was a garbage truck, not any buildings. I was behind it on Howard before it pulled over and emergency crews arrived.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 11:22 PM

Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Iceman[/B]12;9176127]It was a garbage truck, not any buildings. I was behind it on Howard before it pulled over and emergency crews arrived.
ICEMAN - thanks for the update! I could not resist & went down & snapped a photo.

1288 Howard Street - Garbage Truck Fire

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I lived right across the street from the one in Mission Bay that burned. Seems like people should be treating these things more seriously.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:50 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Yeah, I lived right across the street from the one in Mission Bay that burned. Seems like people should be treating these things more seriously.
A buddy and I were biking through GGP on our way home from Ocean Beach that day and we could see the smoke soaring into the sky from around the de Young Museum.

While I realize today's fire was in a garbage truck, I'm really nervous about fires in and around construction sites. A former forumer purchased a condo in a West Oakland development that was torched to the ground during construction. The deal was eventually unwound and they found a place to live, but it was a jarring experience.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:59 AM

Mission Bay fie

Quote:

ismfishhead
I watched the fire from my apartment in the Civic Center from the start to the finish, took photos which you can see in this forum Page 79, #1566 03/12/2014. Were you home at the time of the fire? Were you able to return home soon after? I visited the site shortly after the fire & saw the damage to apartments across the street.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 7:32 AM

MB fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
A buddy and I were biking through GGP on our way home from Ocean Beach that day and we could see the smoke soaring into the sky from around the de Young Museum.

since we are on the topic, if anyone wants to relive a bit, here was some of the discussion at the time

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:47 PM

SF Skyline from Alameda:

SF Skyline:

Skyline from Portero Hill:

500 Folsom at night

Fisherman's Wharf view:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I am out of town for the winter but am very interested in this project (EXTREMELY interested in it getting finished). If you carry a cell phone, how about snapping a photo or two next time you are in the area and posting them? It would be much appreciated.

I had been hoping they were making progress and you confirmed they are.
I took a pic from Golden Gate Avenue while on a walk yesterday

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
SF Skyline:

Nice to see the impact of 5M taking place! Too bad it continues the table top effect but at least it fills in a gap.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 5:05 AM

Quote:

ismfishhead
I watched the fire from my apartment in the Civic Center from the start to the finish, took photos which you can see in this forum Page 79, #1566 03/12/2014. Were you home at the time of the fire? Were you able to return home soon after? I visited the site shortly after the fire & saw the damage to apartments across the street.
Nope, was on Muni home and then shopping at Safeway. I lived at 555 Mission Rock and had a view directly over the fire. Our apartment was fortunately undamaged other than a shattered window in the TV room. They let us in the evening of the fire, provided we were residents to get emergency supplies, and then let us freely go in after a few days.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Seems like people should be treating these things more seriously.
On this subject, I always think of this:

Quote:
4-Alarm Fire in S.F. City Hall Dome / No one hurt, damage confined to dome area
Jaxon Van Derbeken
Feb. 14, 1998
Updated: Feb. 4, 2012 12:23 a.m.

1998-02-14 04:00:00 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's $293 million renovation of City Hall was dealt a setback yesterday when a fire broke out between layered walls of the famous dome, sending smoke billowing over the Civic Center and bottling up the evening commute.

Construction crews had already ended their workday, when someone saw smoke and reported the fire about 4:10 p.m. The blaze rose to four alarms as 120 firefighters spent three hours dousing the flames -- a task fire officials said was impeded by a malfunctioning water standpipe.

Despite the problem, firefighters kept the blaze from spreading through the rest of the 1915 beaux arts building.

Fire officials said the half-million-square-foot building was unoccupied and no injuries were reported.

Fire Department Lieutenant Edward Campbell said a cause had not been determined and it will take up to a week for structural engineers to determine the extent of the damage.

"It appears there was no structural damage to the dome," said Tony Irons, the Department of Public Works' chief architect on the project. "For the people of San Francisco, that's a good thing."

Irons said the fire started beneath the thin copper facade of the dome, which is 90 feet in diameter. The flames were sandwiched between the copper on the exterior and the wood, tile and steel in the interior of the dome. Most of the damage was to the wood and plaster inside the dome, which Irons said was scheduled to be repainted anyway.

"A fair amount of copper was destroyed," Irons said, adding that ornate plaster moldings were heavily stained by smoke. "But the firefighters did a wonderful job even though they were hampered by lack of water."

One of the two iron pipes which carry water some 300 feet from the ground to the top of the dome was leaking, Irons said, forcing firefighters on scaffolding to drag hoses to the blaze.

"It was a very difficult fire to fight," Campbell said. "Firefighters literally had to carry equipment up narrow spiral staircases in the dome area."
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ne-3013270.php

I had a serious lump in my throat watching this drama play out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizm0duck View Post
I took a pic from Golden Gate Avenue while on a walk yesterday

If they have painted the red pavement all the way to Sutter, which is quite a few blocks, I wonder if they'll open it up to bus use before the entire project is finished.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If they have painted the red pavement all the way to Sutter, which is quite a few blocks, I wonder if they'll open it up to bus use before the entire project is finished.
The last time I drove up van ness a week or two ago they hadn’t started any work on actually building out the stops themselves, so I don’t think they are in any rush to start using the center lanes. When I was over there they were still working on laying the brickwork for the sidewalks in the stretch between Sutter and Washington on the west side of the street, so they may have finished that by now in order to shift the traffic to the curb lanes to start work on the median (the only section they hadn’t started working on yet).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:21 AM

Here's a quick snap of progress on the embattled [5-story, mixed-use] project at Valencia and Duboce (across from Zeitgeist).

It likely won't be too noteworthy in terms of architecture, but happy to see housing replace an oil change spot.

Find reference and an older rendering on Socketsite, here.

p.s. Permits for excavation and shoring are approved which is what you're seeing above (vs demo).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations