HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 1:47 AM

The Parcel F tower is a beauty. I don't really see the Minneapolis Wells Fargo connection but I do agree that Pelli does repeat his buildings a bit too much for my tastes.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 11:02 PM
Build Baby Build

Ferry Terminal

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 10:28 PM

City Eyes Corovan Site for Flower Mart

https://www.potreroview.net/city-eye...r-flower-mart/

Quote:
For years Walden Development has worked to develop 901 16th Street and 1200 17th Street, known as the “Corovan” site. In 2013 the developer proposed to build housing and Kaiser Permanente medical offices at the site, an idea that was fiercely rejected by nearby residents. A subsequent plan to construct roughly 400 housing units and 25,000 square feet of retail space, which was approved by the City three years ago, has been held up by legal challenges.

Now, anxious to identify a place to relocate the Wholesale Flower Mart to make way for a massive development at Fifth and Brannon streets, Kilroy Reality, supported by the Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD) is eyeing the Corovan site as a node to sell florae.

The deal, if it goes through, could solve multiple problems, though create new ones for Potrero Hill. Construction costs have escalated over the past several years, significantly eroding the profitability of building even upper-income housing. Tens of millions of dollars of development impact fees would be generated by the South-of-Market project. But OEWD has been unable to find an alternative site for the Flower Mart, failing to secure locations at the Wholesale Produce Mart and other Bayview properties. As part of its development agreement Kilroy needs to relocate the blossom businesses; if an alternative isn’t found by the end of the year rents for existing vendor spaces could skyrocket.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobityblurp View Post
a node to sell florae
Generally I applaud when English speakers use the correct Latin plural of Latin words, but you've got to have the word right. In Latin, Flora is the Goddess of Flowers, not flowers themselves, so Florae would be multiple goddesses, not multiple flowers. The latter would be the plural of flos or flores.

"Just sayin'"

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 12:42 AM
Show me the blueprints

Wooh, tough crowd

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Generally I applaud when English speakers use the correct Latin plural of Latin words, but you've got to have the word right. In Latin, Flora is the Goddess of Flowers, not flowers themselves, so Florae would be multiple goddesses, not multiple flowers. The latter would be the plural of flos or flores.

"Just sayin'"
I think you could make the argument that was a legitimate use of metonymy.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 12:01 AM

975 Bryant & Kate Alley

As I can see this construction from my apartment a mile away, I made my way to the site today to see it up close. This is a very large development. On the east side is the parking lot for REI sporting goods store.

975 Bryant_12-28-2019

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 7:52 AM

^^Looks to be modular or pre-fab construction. Interesting, but when I see this much wood piled up I cross my fingers they've got a fire watch on duty.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:29 AM

Fire Danger

Quote:
^^Looks to be modular or pre-fab construction. Interesting, but when I see this much wood piled up I cross my fingers they've got a fire watch on duty.
My thoughts as well. Two buildings nearing completion have burned within 4 blocks of my apartment years past. Some of my Skyscraper friends may remember my photographs of the big one a few years ago.

A friend of mine is a retired electrician who has worked in many states in the USA. He found San Francisco workers to be very unsafe. It is required that welders use asbestos blankets when welding, but he has seen many times welders do not take this safety precaution. We suspect some of the fires in wood frame buildings were caused by molten metal falling below on wood frame.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:35 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Not sure why you didn't, but since it was approved and plans to start construction next year, I did. Quoted your beautiful renderings there too.
When you start new threads (thanks for doing it) or refer to others, would you please include a link to them?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
When you start new threads (thanks for doing it) or refer to others, would you please include a link to them?
The original poster was quoted so he clearly got the credit--or at least that was my thought process. The part that was not my original content contained the phrase
Quote:
"Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...-approval.html"
so I am at something of a loss as to what you are saying--you will note there is a link there.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post

A friend of mine is a retired electrician who has worked in many states in the USA. He found San Francisco workers to be very unsafe. It is required that welders use asbestos blankets when welding, but he has seen many times welders do not take this safety precaution. We suspect some of the fires in wood frame buildings were caused by molten metal falling below on wood frame.
I suspect your friend was a union electrician. The unions used to run extensive apprenticeship programs that trained nearly all the people in the skilled building trades in the US. That was until several decades ago when immigrants with some construction skills from their country of origin began taking over. Now it seems you rarely hear English spoken on construction job sites and few of the workers ever went through the US union apprenticeships so their training has gaps at the least, mainly in such areas as US safety requirements.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 9:03 PM

Some pics I took around the city last weekend. Sorry for iPhone X quality haha

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:34 PM

^^Transamerica (the city's former icon) has disappeared, at least from that angle.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Some pics I took around the city last weekend. Sorry for iPhone X quality haha

That Bay Bridge spot above the tunnel and road is open again? It has been closed for years.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 2:01 PM

Great pics gillynova. The last pic. i really expected the Mexican Museum to stand out a little bit more. Geez even at 510 feet tall it still looks short. The St Regis is still the star in that little grouping of buildings.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
That Bay Bridge spot above the tunnel and road is open again? It has been closed for years.
Yeah it's open but not to the VERY top. I saw some local Instagrammers go there and decided to check it out myself haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySFO View Post
Great pics gillynova. The last pic. i really expected the Mexican Museum to stand out a little bit more. Geez even at 510 feet tall it still looks short. The St Regis is still the star in that little grouping of buildings.
Thanks so much! I thought so too but honestly it does with it's unique facade.

Also, the buildings next to the Intercontinental will help shape that side of the skyline some more.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

Thanks for the pics. From this angle and this light it looks like 500 Folsom needs to go on a diet. Probably not what the architect was going for.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:34 PM

Poor little guy. 500 Folsom is a cute building. Everytime i see it, i see a 1960's robot (think Rosie the robot on The Jetsons) Put some big giant robot eyes on the top box and voila... Great pic of the skyline once again, gillynova. Just one member of the family not in this pic.....Transamerica Pyramid.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:41 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
^^Transamerica (the city's former icon) has disappeared, at least from that angle.
It was most likely never viewable from that angle due to being hidden by 555 California Street. Even when the top can be seen, the Pyramid has been insignificant from many south to north views for decades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations