HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:28 PM

"Polar bears are thriving, arctic sea ice is growing every year, and extracting and burning tarsands oil is one of the cleanest sources of energy available to Man."

I feel bad for the time OldDartmouthMark just wasted crafting a high-quality reply to that troll who got banned from this forum once already - for doing what he's again doing now (wasting people's time with his bullshit).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"Polar bears are thriving, arctic sea ice is growing every year, and extracting and burning tarsands oil is one of the cleanest sources of energy available to Man."

I feel bad for the time OldDartmouthMark just wasted crafting a high-quality reply to that troll who got banned from this forum once already - for doing what he's again doing now (wasting people's time with his bullshit).
Yeah... thanks. I just recently started coming to the 'Canada' section on a regular basis. From what I just learned I will no longer waste my time 'debating' with this person.

I appreciate the context that you have added!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Yeah... thanks. I just recently started coming to the 'Canada' section on a regular basis. From what I just learned I will no longer waste my time 'debating' with this person.

I appreciate the context that you have added!
Welcome to the club, he trolled me a few weeks back before I was educated.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Welcome to the club, he trolled me a few weeks back before I was educated.
Ha! So it's some kind of hazing ritual?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Claire View Post
The point is that there is already a whole lot of CO2 in the atmosphere, which will be there for a long time, so we HAVE to develop CDR technologies, and the IPCC has said as much. But what once seemed like a difficult and expensive technical challenge is getting easier and cheaper practically by the month. Of course we still need to look at technologies that reduce emissions as well. We need to look at ALL options at this point, not just CO2 and not just emissions. The objective is to reduce the concentration of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. Let's forget that. One more time, this is the kind of thinking we need to be doing:
https://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank
(I think this particular list is truly dated now, but this is the idea.)
Yes, and if you look at that list CDR isn't on it. It is listed on that website as a "Coming Attraction" though because it's a technology that isn't ready right now, whereas there are 100 solutions listed on that website that are ready to implement right now.

CDR (or, as Drawdown calls it, Direct Air Capture) is definitely a technology to continue to develop, but for right now and for the next ten years there are a hundred solutions we can start putting in place today that will help. Focusing on the shiny thing twinkling 20 years in the future must not get in the way of implementing solutions today.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
By that you mean "why isn't it nearer the top", right?
I’m not sure, perhaps to understand why specifically girls? I would think to unobjectionably and practically educate general population would be probably number 1, education is power, but why specifically girls?

Edit: my bad, I realized it has a link that provides an explanation as to why... ignore my question!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
So, we're talking about Alberta, and more specifically northern Alberta, and even more specifically three recent high profile fires, and you come back with a bunch of links on .... BC. I think this side conversation is not working out, so I'm going to leave it here, but I'll leave you with this. I haven't looked at any of your links or done any deeper digging on the BC fire situation, but a quick search found these. If you decide to look into this issue I suggest that you start here. This is the hard data:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soe/indicat...ange/temp.html
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soe/indicat...ge/precip.html
These are government of BC pages that show the changes in temperature and precipitation since 1900. Here's a quote from the precipitation page to show the kind of information they have:

"-Province-wide annual average precipitation has increased by 12 percent per century. Annual average precipitation increases ranged from 10 to 21 percent per century across 8 ecoprovinces.There is no significant trend in annual average precipitation for the Northern Boreal Mountains ecoprovince.
-Changes in seasonal precipitation are varied through B.C. For example, precipitation has increased by 23 percent per century in the spring in the Georgia Depression ecoprovince, however no other seasonal precipitation trends were detected for that region. In the Taiga Plains and the Northern Boreal Mountains ecoprovinces, the trends indicate an increase in precipitation in the winter, summer and fall, but not in the spring.
-There are few trends in winter precipitation across B.C. In addition, there are no seasonal trends in precipitation in the Coast and Mountains ecoprovince.
-Precipitation is highly variable across B.C. Long-term changes in the amount, form, and timing of precipitation will almost certainly have significant impacts on freshwater and terrestrial ecosystems. They will have both positive and negative impacts on human activities."
Here are the important take-aways from your exchange:

1) Climate change alarmists couldn't debunk the fact that Alberta is getting wetter, so they change the subject to BC.
2) They post factually untrue statements about BC.
3) You countered by posted the actual scientific data.
4) They changed the subject to the Arctic.
5) No matter how many factually inaccurate statements you debunk, they will just keep changing the subject until you give up in utter exhaustion.
6) They will then tell themselves that they have the facts on their side.
7) They will encounter future rationalists in other forums who will again debunk their claims about Alberta getting drier.
8) They will change the subject to BC... and the cycle will continue.
9) They will not change their cherished beliefs even when they are confronted over and over again with the actual science that conflicts with these dogmatic held beliefs.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Gee, thanks for your advice.

Again, you missed my point.

But, since you choose to make statements without sources to back them up, here are a few that I found with a simple Google search regarding Polar Bears/Arctic Ice. Note that neither of your above assertions are true, which makes me question whether you actually do any research yourself, or just pull 'alternative facts' out of your ass...

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/polar-bear

https://polarbearsinternational.org/...d-polar-bears/

https://www.ontario.ca/page/polar-be...onse-statement

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/fish_and_wi...ars/index.html

https://www.fws.gov/alaska/pages/end...es/polar-bears

http://pbsg.npolar.no/en/status/status-table.html
--> Note that the "Change in summer sea ice area (percent change per decade)" has negatives for all regions.

https://wildlife-species.canada.ca/s..._e.cfm?sid=167

https://www.arcus.org/sipn/sea-ice-o...ost-season#two

I thought we were talking about my point? Anyway, good effort! Full marks for digging in and doing some research. You just need to pay a bit more attention to details, and maybe sources, but that will come quickly if you keep this up. I should take a moment here to correct my terminology from last time. When I was saying threatened I was really meaning endangered. I got my terms crossed up. It’s not going to matter much but I’ll start using the term endangered now instead of threatened.

Here is a key page:
https://arcticwwf.org/species/polar-bear/population/
The detail you maybe should have picked up on was the statement that polar bears are threatened in the US. Why would they say that? The arctic is much bigger than just the US part after all. A deeper dive on that point would have revealed that every country has its own status. From the above link:
“Status by country
-International: Vulnerable
-Canada: Special Concern
-Greenland / Denmark: Vulnerable
-Norway: Vulnerable
-Russia: Indeterminate, Rare, or Recovering, depending on population
-United States: Threatened”

Special Concern is somewhat less than Vulnerable. They don’t seem to be endangered anywhere, and I’m not exactly sure how Threatened fits in, or the Russian classifications for that matter, but the key information comes just below this on the page. There are 19 subpopulations of polar bears. 7 of them have stable populations, 9 are data deficient, 2 have increasing populations, and only 1 has a decreasing population, and that one is the mostly American polar bears in the northern part of Alaska. I’m guessing that this will be a surprise to you, you and a lot of other people. In fact in at least one place in Canada their numbers are growing so much they’re becoming a serious problem.

Nunavut’s polar bear population is unsafe, government document says
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...population-is/

So the obvious question at this point is, if polar bear populations are overall very stable why are they being classified in categories like vulnerable? I haven’t exhaustively researched this but one of your links also shows what I’ve found as well:

“Because of ongoing and potential loss of their sea ice habitat resulting from climate change, polar bears were listed as a threatened...”

So in other words, “polar bear populations are fine now but because we think there is the POTENTIAL for their habitat to degrade at some point in the future we’re listing them as vulnerable now.”

On to the ice quickly. As your graph shows the ice area has NOT been shrinking every year. In fact the low point was in 2012, 7 years ago, and the next lowest was in 2007, 12 years ago, and the trend since 2007 has not been down overall. This is a LOT different than saying that “the ice is shrinking every year”. It could start to go down again, of course, but it’s not going down every year now. The truth is important. Also note that the bottom of that graph is chopped off. The bottom line is not 0, it’s 3. We’ve gone from 7.5 ish to 4.5 ish since 1980, which is a lot, but not nearly as much as you might think if you didn’t notice how that graph was laid out. And there may well be other factors at play here as well. Some scientists think that carbon black and soot from Russian and Chinese coal fired power plants may have been dusting the arctic, and that the black may have been absorbing heat and driving some of the melting. And as China starts to bring their smog inducing emissions in check this effect may lesson. I don’t know where the latest research is on this but the point here is that these issues are generally fairly complicated, so if someone gives you a simplistic statement like, “arctic ice is shrinking every year”, you can pretty much tell without even doing any research that they have no idea what they’re talking about, or they’re lying.

So here’s the problem in a nutshell. When you lie to people and tell them, “Polar bears are endangered!” or “Arctic sea ice is shrinking every year!”, and they check the facts and catch you lying, they’re not going to believe you anymore. And when the media repeats these lies then the people stop believing the media. And when so called liberal institutions, like the media and “environmental groups”, come to be seen as liars the moderate middle voters swing to the right, and we start to see a lot of right wing governments being elected. This is a thirty second summary of a subject that could take many hours to discuss, but hopefully you starting to get the point now.

Last edited by Eau Claire; Jun 6, 2019 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Why is "Educating Girls" number 6 on the list of reducing emissions?
If you click on the link there's an explanation, but I think the general idea here is that educated people, and educated women in particular, have fewer children, and I think as they move up the socio-economic ladder their lifestyles change and they tend to use wood stoves less and that kind of thing.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Yes, and if you look at that list CDR isn't on it. It is listed on that website as a "Coming Attraction" though because it's a technology that isn't ready right now, whereas there are 100 solutions listed on that website that are ready to implement right now.

CDR (or, as Drawdown calls it, Direct Air Capture) is definitely a technology to continue to develop, but for right now and for the next ten years there are a hundred solutions we can start putting in place today that will help. Focusing on the shiny thing twinkling 20 years in the future must not get in the way of implementing solutions today.
If you've been following this thread CDR/DAC is starting to roll out. I think we started this discussion in another thread, so I'm not sure if all the links are hear, but if you search my posts you'll find a number of references. Carbon Engineering (David Keith), from Squamish, is looking at building a full scale plant in Texas.
https://www.chron.com/business/energ...e-13867251.php
Klaus Lackner has a very new technology:
https://asunow.asu.edu/20190429-solu...mercialization

The first of these full scale plants will essentially be experimental as well, but each step gets us closer to large scale roll out. I just read an another article the other day about the a group at the U of Toronto who have developed a way to reduce the costs of processes like David Keith's, so the developments just keep coming. This article is behind a paywall but if you have access here it is.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...he-atmosphere/

I do agree that we shouldn't be limiting our options at this point, however. I think we should be trying lots of different things and finding out what we've got. You never know when a fringe idea may blossom and become a major tool. And air capture may be a good example of just that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
If you click on the link there's an explanation, but I think the general idea here is that educated people, and educated women in particular, have fewer children,
But that usually requires significantly increased wealth (and therefore consumption). Developed countries' energy consumption are so much greater than poor countries that when you get rich, even going to 1-2 child by government edict (like China) isn't enough to offset it.

Quote:
they tend to use wood stoves less and that kind of thing.
But more of modern climate control, like air conditioning.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
Here are the important take-aways from your exchange:

1) Climate change alarmists couldn't debunk the fact that Alberta is getting wetter, so they change the subject to BC.
2) They post factually untrue statements about BC.
3) You countered by posted the actual scientific data.
4) They changed the subject to the Arctic.
5) No matter how many factually inaccurate statements you debunk, they will just keep changing the subject until you give up in utter exhaustion.
6) They will then tell themselves that they have the facts on their side.
7) They will encounter future rationalists in other forums who will again debunk their claims about Alberta getting drier.
8) They will change the subject to BC... and the cycle will continue.
9) They will not change their cherished beliefs even when they are confronted over and over again with the actual science that conflicts with these dogmatic held beliefs.
lol! Very true, all of it, but I'm not exhausting myself. I'll give up on this soon if my friend up there still isn't "getting it." I think there are still people out there in internet land who are interested in facts and honest discussion, but of course there are plenty of the type you've described. They are a standard part of the internet landscape now, but I think it generally becomes clear before too long what they're about.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
But that usually requires significantly increased wealth (and therefore consumption). Developed countries' energy consumption are so much greater than poor countries that when you get rich, even going to 1-2 child by government edict (like China) isn't enough to offset it.

Yup, you'd have to dig into that point somehow to find out how they've calculated that. I agree that it's not fully explained on their site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

Which is why, if you also look at that site, improvements to refrigeration materials is (in their calculations) the #1 way to help combat climate change. Those improvements will greatly reduce the GHG emissions caused by refrigeration even as developing nations use more refrigeration systems. It's almost as if our giant complicated interconnected world needs to have a lot of different solutions, all of which can help reduce GHG emissions, and they work together to help even better.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
So the obvious question at this point is, if polar bear populations are overall very stable why are they being classified in categories like vulnerable? I haven’t exhaustively researched this but one of your links also shows what I’ve found as well:

“Because of ongoing and potential loss of their sea ice habitat resulting from climate change, polar bears were listed as a threatened...”

So in other words, “polar bear populations are fine now but because we think there is the POTENTIAL for their habitat to degrade at some point in the future we’re listing them as vulnerable now.”
Why is that even a question? It's easy to forecast major habitat loss as the Arctic warms even faster than global average. It's perfectly normal to be looking at the future too, not only the present (which would be incredibly myopic.)

Imagine one species of frog that only lives in a given rainforest, and the authorities of that country have put a firm plan in motion to raze it and replace it with a sea of concrete by 2030. That frog population is perfectly stable now. Are you going to claim "this species is not threatened at all, the population is stable!" ?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I thought we were talking about my point? Anyway, good effort! Full marks for digging in and doing some research. You just need to pay a bit more attention to details, and maybe sources, but that will come quickly if you keep this up.
I don't have much time to waste on this today, but no - we were talking about my point.

Also, I don't need your advice on how to research, so just stop, please.

Quote:
I should take a moment here to correct my terminology from last time. When I was saying threatened I was really meaning endangered. I got my terms crossed up. It’s not going to matter much but I’ll start using the term endangered now instead of threatened.

Here is a key page:
https://arcticwwf.org/species/polar-bear/population/
The detail you maybe should have picked up on was the statement that polar bears are threatened in the US. Why would they say that? The arctic is much bigger than just the US part after all. A deeper dive on that point would have revealed that every country has its own status. From the above link:
“Status by country
-International: Vulnerable
-Canada: Special Concern
-Greenland / Denmark: Vulnerable
-Norway: Vulnerable
-Russia: Indeterminate, Rare, or Recovering, depending on population
-United States: Threatened”

Special Concern is somewhat less than Vulnerable. They don’t seem to be endangered anywhere, and I’m not exactly sure how Threatened fits in, or the Russian classifications for that matter, but the key information comes just below this on the page. There are 19 subpopulations of polar bears. 7 of them have stable populations, 9 are data deficient, 2 have increasing populations, and only 1 has a decreasing population, and that one is the mostly American polar bears in the northern part of Alaska. I’m guessing that this will be a surprise to you, you and a lot of other people. In fact in at least one place in Canada their numbers are growing so much they’re becoming a serious problem.

Nunavut’s polar bear population is unsafe, government document says
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...population-is/

Not going to take the time to parse through this. You make a statement, then after being proven wrong you change the statement. If you actually read through the sources, you will see there is a problem - we don't have to pick through semantics and minutia to understand that. Enough said.

Quote:
On to the ice quickly. As your graph shows the ice area has NOT been shrinking every year. In fact the low point was in 2012, 7 years ago, and the next lowest was in 2007, 12 years ago, and the trend since 2007 has not been down overall. This is a LOT different than saying that “the ice is shrinking every year”. It could start to go down again, of course, but it’s not going down every year now. The truth is important. Also note that the bottom of that graph is chopped off. The bottom line is not 0, it’s 3. We’ve gone from 7.5 ish to 4.5 ish since 1980, which is a lot, but not nearly as much as you might think if you didn’t notice how that graph was laid out. And there may well be other factors at play here as well. Some scientists think that carbon black and soot from Russian and Chinese coal fired power plants may have been dusting the arctic, and that the black may have been absorbing heat and driving some of the melting. And as China starts to bring their smog inducing emissions in check this effect may lesson. I don’t know where the latest research is on this but the point here is that these issues are generally fairly complicated, so if someone gives you a simplistic statement like, “arctic ice is shrinking every year”, you can pretty much tell without even doing any research that they have no idea what they’re talking about, or they’re lying.

So here’s the problem in a nutshell. When you lie to people and tell them, “Polar bears are endangered!” or “Arctic sea ice is shrinking every year!”, and they check the facts and catch you lying, they’re not going to believe you anymore. And when the media repeats these lies then the people stop believing the media. And when so called liberal institutions, like the media and “environmental groups”, come to be seen as liars the moderate middle voters swing to the right, and we start to see a lot of right wing governments being elected. This is a thirty second summary of a subject that could take many hours to discuss, but hopefully you starting to get the point now.
...blah blah blah... That is a lot of text to basically say nothing.

You still have some work to do in learning to interpret data. Keep it up, you'll get there!

The irony here, is that with all your amazing research skills, the very link you used as an example contains information counter to your assertions...
https://arcticwwf.org/work/climate/

Quote:
Summer sea ice is disappearing
Sea ice is critical to Arctic marine life - and it's projected to nearly disappear in the summer within a generation.

The average temperature of the Arctic has increased 2.3°C since the 1970s.
and...
Quote:
Shrinking sea ice is a big problem for Arctic wildlife
Ice dependent species such as narwhals, polar bears, and walruses are at increasing risk with shrinking sea ice cover.

By 2100, polar bears could face starvation and reproductive failure even in far northern Canada.
and...
Quote:
Ice melt is a feedback loop
Shiny ice and snow reflect a high proportion of the sun's energy into space. As the Arctic loses snow and ice, bare rock and water absorb more and more of the sun’s energy, making it ever warmer. This is called the albedo effect.
and...
Quote:
Loss of sea ice is forcing walruses into danger

Around 35,000 walruses came ashore on the Alaska coast in September 2014. It’s the largest ‘haul out’ ever recorded. US government agencies estimated that 60 young walruses were crushed in the crowd.
Etc... So as usual you will accept the information that supports your agenda and reject that which doesn't...

Over and out. What a waste of time.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jun 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Etc... So as usual you will accept the information that supports your agenda and reject that which doesn't...

"By 2100, polar bears could face starvation and reproductive failure even in far northern Canada. "

We could also be abducted by aliens. A lot of things could happen, but not almost all "coulds" have a very low probability of happening. Polar bears survive the medieval warm period and many even warmer periods before that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I don't have much time to waste on this today, but no - we were talking about my point.

Also, I don't need your advice on how to research, so just stop, please.

Not going to take the time to parse through this. You make a statement, then after being proven wrong you change the statement. If you actually read through the sources, you will see there is a problem - we don't have to pick through semantics and minutia to understand that. Enough said.

...blah blah blah... That is a lot of text to basically say nothing.

You still have some work to do in learning to interpret data. Keep it up, you'll get there!

The irony here, is that with all your amazing research skills, the very link you used as an example contains information counter to your assertions...
https://arcticwwf.org/work/climate/

and...

and...

and...

Well! That was quite the meltdown. Looks like Glacier had you figured out before I did!

Glacier: 1
Eau Claire : 0

No matter. I always like to give people a chance, and who knows, maybe when you get a bit older you'll decide to take this issue a little more seriously.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Well! That was quite the meltdown. Looks like Glacier had you figured out before I did!

Glacier: 1
Eau Claire : 0

No matter. I always like to give people a chance, and who knows, maybe when you get a bit older you'll decide to take this issue a little more seriously.
Looks to me like he presented some facts and you resorted to insults.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
"By 2100, polar bears could face starvation and reproductive failure even in far northern Canada. "

We could also be abducted by aliens. A lot of things could happen, but not almost all "coulds" have a very low probability of happening. Polar bears survive the medieval warm period and many even warmer periods before that.
You were right. He's not worth spending any more time on.

That quote is just yet another head shaker, however. That's 80 years from now. What was the state of world 80 years ago in 1940 for comparison? What was the state of modern solar and nuclear technology, for example? They were just being thought of, and I don't think the first versions of either had been built. That was pre-WWII, before the Manhattan Project came into being. What that statement is saying is that if nothing changes and everything stays the same for the next 80 years, THEN polar bears could face starvation in the north. It's a ridiculous and completely meaningless statement. Just pure, undisguised, fearmongering, but really so lame that it's only going to fool the dumbest of the dumb. The bigger damage it does is taht it makes a mockery of the issue, and causes people to distrust the WWF and the media that uncritically repeats these things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada