HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:02 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Same with Koreatown being traditionally ghetto making it more grow growth than more affluent areas like Mirricle Mile. I have stated this before but I have always envisioned the Beverly Center as LA's vcersion Time Square with electronic billboards and a 40-50 story tower where that multi story marking lot south of the Berverly Center were Las Cienega meets Burton Way and another one of two 20 something towers were the Beverly Connection is.
Oh God. Not unless there is a subway stop somewhere near. That area is already awful in terms of traffic (made even worse by how jacked up the streets come together).

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Same with Koreatown being traditionally ghetto making it more grow growth than more affluent areas like Mirricle Mile. I have stated this before but I have always envisioned the Beverly Center as LA's vcersion Time Square with electronic billboards and a 40-50 story tower where that multi story marking lot south of the Berverly Center were Las Cienega meets Burton Way and another one of two 20 something towers were the Beverly Connection is.
LA Live, and much of Hollywood Blvd have already taken the title of "Times Square West".

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:07 AM

The new Vincent Price Art Museum opens this Friday at the East Los Angeles College (1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park).

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...rice.artmuseum

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
LA Live, and much of Hollywood Blvd have already taken the title of "Times Square West".
I am aware of that but LA Live looks nothing remotely close with all the empty parking lots. Maybe if they build LA Central it will be a big step in that direction. Am I the only one who see's great potential for the Beverly Center. I know trafic and NIMBY's are a problem but some day it will happen.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The Vincent Price Museum looks good! Though I rue the choice of stucco. Would be so much better with metal panels.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Santa Monica and Beverly Center/WeHo will probably continue as the up market nightlife zones, with Hollywood and downtown more mixed. But anything over 20 has almost no chance of being built in the LA part of Beverly Center and literally no chance in BH or WeHo.

I can only add that building Crenshaw and Foothill and not the Pink line is a huge blunder for the future of density in that area and along Santa Monica to Hollywood.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
I am aware of that but LA Live looks nothing remotely close with all the empty parking lots. Maybe if they build LA Central it will be a big step in that direction. Am I the only one who see's great potential for the Beverly Center. I know trafic and NIMBY's are a problem but some day it will happen.
I think growth in this area will be determined by overall vibrancy of the area, and so on.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Traffic is not problem...it's the lack of alternatives that are the problem. Drivers in New York complain the same about "NY traffic" as LA drivers complain about "LA traffic". The only difference is the lack of significant transit alternatives. That's the real fight. Traffic will never ever ever go away (evidence: London, Tokyo, Paris, New York, Chicago, Moscow, Athens, etc..)

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
Here's a pic from Curbed LA

The podiums must be stopped. If we really need that much parking, can't it be underground? It looks terrible at street level. My office window looks out on the podium for the Solair and its...well, see for yourself:

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:44 PM
International

diggin' these new homes in echo park:

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 2:13 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

Not bad for Los Angeles. Or for infill. I really need to get down to that area, as I've never been. Any good places to go for modern architecture or just general urbanity?

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 3:38 AM
International

Silverlake, Venice, and random parts of West Hollywood, Santa Monica and Culver City. If you're willing to walk around, just about any hilly area has good contemporary architecture; finding them is more difficult, as one cannot just stumble upon one (i.e, hidden behind gates/shrubbery). Hollywood has some good multi-family stuff in the area bounded between Sunset, Franklin, La Brea, and the 101. The canal areas in Venice have the best SFR examples. The late, great Steven Kanner had some excellent projects in/around Santa Monica. Here is his website: http://www.kannerarch.com/en/. Lastly, a good number of Brooks + Scarpa's work is in LA: http://www.pugh-scarpa.com/projects/all.projects. Enjoy.

For general urbanity? Check my full-out guide to LA's urban areas by reading my reply (#11) in this thread.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:00 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Silverlake, Venice, and random parts of West Hollywood, Santa Monica and Culver City. If you're willing to walk around, just about any hilly area has good contemporary architecture; finding them is more difficult, as one cannot just stumble upon one (i.e, hidden behind gates/shrubbery). Hollywood has some good multi-family stuff in the area bounded between Sunset, Franklin, La Brea, and the 101. The canal areas in Venice have the best SFR examples. The late, great Steven Kanner had some excellent projects in/around Santa Monica. Here is his website: http://www.kannerarch.com/en/. Lastly, a good number of Brooks + Scarpa's work is in LA: http://www.pugh-scarpa.com/projects/all.projects. Enjoy.

For general urbanity? Check my full-out guide to LA's urban areas by reading my reply (#11) in this thread.
I actually live in L.A., funnily enough. Santa Monica no less. I was referring to mostly Echo Park and Silver Lake, but hey! Thanks for the guide!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 6:11 PM

I noticed the beginning of construction yesterday on a new development called Normandie Terrace, on Normandie just north of 6th St. Apparently it's a 66 unit affordable housing complex (some details here). Also managed to track down some decent-looking renderings that I dont think I've seen around here.

Photo credits: PSL Architects

PSL Architects have also designed the similarly-designed 5555 Hollywood Boulevard senior housing project.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 7:54 PM

Cool. Is it replacing the strip mall or parking lot on the corner, or is it a tear-down/rebuild project farther north on the street?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 8:50 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:

Not sure if Los Angeles is doing the same but Houston is getting tons of projects like this.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi View Post
Cool. Is it replacing the strip mall or parking lot on the corner, or is it a tear-down/rebuild project farther north on the street?
It's a tear down of some older apartment buildings just north of 6th, kinda seen in this Curbed post from when they were being demolished.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 12:31 AM

From the Los Angeles Times:

Critic's Notebook: Hollywood landmark at a crossroads
New York developers are reviving plans to surround the Capitol Records building with a mixed-use project covering 1 million square feet. Whether it would enhance or detract from the iconic structure depends on fuzzy details.

REVISED SKYLINE: This rendering shows a view of the proposed development from the north, but many details have to be ironed out. (Handel Architects)

By Christopher Hawthorne, Los Angeles Times
May 29, 2011

When it opened in 1956, the Capitol Records building was surrounded mostly by surface parking lots, making it easy to spot from the nearby — and brand-new — Hollywood Freeway. The cylindrical design for the building, by Welton Becket and a young architect in Becket's office, Louis Naidorf, played beautifully to its mobile audience and that wide-open urban landscape. The result was a 13-story tower with the confidence and allure of a major skyscraper.

Hollywood has changed a great deal in the intervening years: Along with a stretch of subway and a more crowded skyline, it has acquired a freshly scrubbed civic reputation. But Becket's tower, on Vine Street just north of Hollywood Boulevard, relates to its peculiar context pretty much as it always has. Many of its immediate neighbors are still surface parking lots, and when you see the building from the freeway you get the same instant sense that you've arrived in Hollywood. Viewed from the south, meanwhile, Capitol Records is even more prominent, framed against a postcard-ready backdrop of the freeway, the hills and the Hollywood sign.

Even in Los Angeles, though, open space is not eternal. Neither are parking lots, however hardy some of them have proved as urban specimens in this city. As if to symbolize all the ways that L.A. is changing as it grows denser, slowly and haphazardly filling in its empty urban pockets, this month a pair of New York developers, Millennium Partners and Argent Ventures, announced they are reviving a proposal to surround the Capitol Records building with a mixed-use project covering roughly 1 million square feet. The plan had been slowed but not completely derailed by the recession.

Working with New York architect Gary Handel and L.A. architect William Roschen, the developers hope to create something of an urban village on both sides of Vine. Becket's tower would be the centerpiece of the 4.5-acre project, which may also include a boutique hotel, rental apartments, condos, office space and a substantial amount of retail.

[...]

Read the rest by clicking esto.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 7:25 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Very interesting piece, and it seems to me that ultimately he has a positive view the development - and the scale. I hope the developers read his piece and take what he says to heart. I think he makes a lot of good points that could only improve the project.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Agree with Colemonkee; interesting points and good suggestions. I have great hopes for something interesting and perhaps even eye-catching given the people involved.

I would not focus excessively on the Capitol Building. The Lever and Seagrams buildings were pioneering icons as well, but are now surrounded by taller and more conspicuous buildings. Leaving sight-lines and a decent perspective is important, but deference is not necessary: how about complementing or exceeding it, instead?

Regarding Hollywood & Highland, let's remember the area. This is "Times Sq. West" not Park Ave. A building that would attract and hold people on a strip that includes the Chinese, Egyptian, El Capitan, and Ripley's needed something bold and flamboyant. There were still doubts about Hollywood's viability when it went up. Great architecture, no; but not bad for where it went and what it was supposed to do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations