HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Exactly. These organizations, while not "perfect" in everyone's eyes, are doing the tough, necessary job that few other people or organizations would touch with the proverbial ten-foot pole.
Not to mention that it may be basically impossible to completely eradicate homelessness anyways. In Germany they have plenty of homeless folks who opt out of housing, even though the government would happily provide it. The issue is very complex in most cases
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 5:38 PM

So the mayor is championing the idea of leaving the Christmas lights on for longer along Main St. and Portage Ave. this year. This reminds me of the time when there were the classic bulb lights strung across these streets all year long. I wish they'd bring that back.. it was a really classic look. I remember it going from Maryland and Portage all the way to North Main at around Mountain.

https://umanitoba.ca/libraries/units...to.php?id=4040

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

I loved those classic lights across the roadways of Portage and Main.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:01 PM

I used to love heading downtown as kid. With the lights strung up like that. Probably excited, being a kid, that santa was on the way.

The newer LED displays are nice too. But don't give the nostalgia.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
So the mayor is championing the idea of leaving the Christmas lights on for longer along Main St. and Portage Ave. this year. This reminds me of the time when there were the classic bulb lights strung across these streets all year long. I wish they'd bring that back.. it was a really classic look. I remember it going from Maryland and Portage all the way to North Main at around Mountain.

https://umanitoba.ca/libraries/units...to.php?id=4040
^Yes!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:03 PM

I spotted this interesting WFP story that was buried in the Sunday edition... apparently the Centennial Concert Hall has been getting some upgrades and renovations in recent months.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...573608992.html

Apparently flooring is a big part of it, they are exposing some of the original hardwood flooring that was covered up by carpet some 30+ years ago, and that carpet is being replaced in other parts. A lot of other things are also being improved, like switching to hands-free faucets in the washrooms and such.

One of the interesting tidbits in the article was mention of the 'Red Room', a suite intended for the Queen and other VIP dignitaries. It has reportedly changed little since the concert hall was built, so the renovation project will include some minor updates to that space.

Here's a link to a picture of the Red Room... I didn't embed it since the photo is so large. https://media.winnipegfreepress.com/...NEP9334194.jpg

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:26 PM

^^ Overall that is a smart move by the Concert Hall. I wonder if other smaller places are doing similar renovations projects. For example I know some years back my church closed their main worship space for about six months while they removed the massive mosaic and did some other renovations. The mosaic needed to be removed for safety reasons as it was structurally failing sadly. The mosaic was also quite the piece to see, I didn't even see things like that in the Vatican or other old world churches in Italy.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:30 PM

Now I'm intrigued... which church is that?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:58 PM

can't remember where i saw the discussion about what was happening with the best western plus on york, but i just saw this on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

looks like they're selling off the furniture. closing or just a refresh?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
can't remember where i saw the discussion about what was happening with the best western plus on york, but i just saw this on facebook:

Says under the description top to bottom renovation, and everything must go.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:34 PM

Saw this news blurb in the Free Press:

Quote:
Hammer wielding man terrorizes employees of business

11:16 AM CST Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021
A man believed to be high on methamphetamine attacked a car with a hammer and terrorized employees at a Main Street business.
Winnipeg police said on Thursday a female employee of a business in the 1000 block of Main Street was sitting in her car in the parking lot behind it when a man with a hammer began striking the vehicle on Wednesday at about 6 p.m.
Police said when a male employee came out to help her, they both were forced to flee inside the business and lock the door when the man chased them. The man smashed the business's windows attempting to get inside while they held the door shut.
Police said the man suddenly left and got on a Transit bus which officers stopped and arrested him still holding the hammer.
There were no injuries in the incident.
A 28-year-old man has been charged with several offences including two counts of assault with a weapon.
The man has been released on an undertaking.
It reminded me of my drive up Main last weekend... I couldn't believe how many smashed windows there were covered in plywood. Some meth heads must be running around causing this havoc. And no place seems to get targeted as much as the RBC branch by City Hall... they must be spending a fortune on plate glass. It's kind of sad.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:56 PM

It's not just the meth. In general there was a trend already before COVID. Windows being smashed by people who are in obvious need of help.. The building I worked in had numerous windows smashed on 3 occasions. In the skywalk and the building itself.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:07 PM

I think that why the Munro Construction group branched into the unbreakable "rock glass" product from their excavating business . They can make a good dollar providing this style of glass to problem areas.

Apparently Rock Glass was first used to replace all the vandalized glass in their equipment out in the field and they moved into commercial glass replacement.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 11:47 PM

i was taking pics of the xmas lights fairly early in the evening on Portage Ave one day in december and a guy clearly high on something was using a broken skateboard to hit windows. i watched him go for a couple blocks before he ran away and surprisingly the skateboard bounced off all the windows he tried to smash between fort and smith.. so i guess some places are using smash-proof glass already.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's not just the meth. In general there was a trend already before COVID. Windows being smashed by people who are in obvious need of help.. The building I worked in had numerous windows smashed on 3 occasions. In the skywalk and the building itself.
It's the meth.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

The former Charter House is no longer on the Best Western website. Anyone know what it is becoming?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 6:54 PM

Been mentioned in another thread, apparently they're just doing a top to bottom reno.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 6:57 AM

Yes, total top to bottom reno.

However, while I am not that familiar with Best Western, most chains keep a page up stating that this hotel will reopen on X month. Nothing appears to be there anymore. Something may be up...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:45 PM

..."Police said the man suddenly left and got on a Transit bus which officers stopped and arrested him still holding the hammer.
There were no injuries in the incident.
A 28-year-old man has been charged with several offences including two counts of assault with a weapon.
The man has been released on an undertaking".

That set of facts and released on an Undertaking?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:33 PM

Apparently with the COVID, from what I've heard, they have been letting people out on promises to appear when maybe they wouldn't have under normal circumstances. Also releasing people early, on good behaviour or whatever else, from Headingley who are on the lesser end of the charges scale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan