HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 12:28 PM

Urban photography: A winter day in Jhongli - Taiwan as seen through Sungus' camera.

Urban photography: A winter day in Jhongli

-------

First of all, a little bit about my background...

I'm a college junior in San Francisco State University and was recently forced back to Taiwan due to economic reason. Although my parents are both Taiwanese. I was born in Argentina, and grew up in many places including the US which took up the biggest chunk of my short life.

-------

I'll be taking a series of pictures all over (hopefully, if I don't get too lazy) Taiwan and capture interesting sights with a P'n'S camera. Some picture might appear quite ugly and realistic, but that's because I want to capture the real Taiwan, and none of that sugar-coated crap produced by tourism board.

Take note that I don't have any SLR camera. Just me and my trusty Kodak V570 which I bought off ebay for cheap. I'll include music to go along with every series I post... Enjoy!

--------

Introduction to the city of Jhungli:

Jhongli is a city in Taoyuan County of Taiwan Province, the Republic of China. It became a city before Taoyuan City. Historically, the city is the stage of the Zhongli incident (中壢事件 ) of 1977, the most significant event of the democratization movements of Taiwan prior to the 1980s. Ethnically, it is considered a kind of capital city for the Hakka people who live in great numbers here and in surrounding areas. In recent years a large number of foreign workers (mainly from the Philippines and Thailand) have also settled in and around the city, making it a center for foreign laborers.

--------

Let the journey begin...

[I]ENNO%2

Last edited by sungFFman; Dec 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 8:06 AM
Utopia Society

some people are simply ignorant! why would you want to stick a swastika sticker on the car!? if i was there, i will make sure that car gets trashed! stupid fool!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 8:14 AM
Utopia Society

sungFFman,

i think you better remove that swastika photo. i really think it's utterly insensitive to the millions murdered by the nazis.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 8:13 PM

oh, I havn't seen the picture, but I'm assuming any swastika-looking symbol in Taiwan is not actually a swastika. If you look closely, it is a mirror image of a swastika, ie a buddhist symbol that has been around for ages before nazi germany, but unfortunately tarnished by its resemblance.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 3:56 AM

It was indeed a swastika. I thought it provokes a lot of emotion, that's why i included the picture in the collection. But I'm willing to take it off if anyone complains.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 9:25 AM
Utopia Society

thanks for responding mate.

welcome back to taiwan!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan