HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 2:52 AM
Closed account

great looking bridge....will light up at night too.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Millions were spent during the construction of the Red Hill to remove all the landfill from Rennie.
I was being cheeky but could've used an emoticon. I know the Rennie history and I'm aware that other landfills (eg. Kay Drage, Bayfront Park) have been successfully used for recreational ends. It's practical land stewardship with powerful symbolic value and it makes sense in conjunction with the bridge – gives people an additional destination on a very connected trail.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
Closed account

^^ There's also the Heritage Green Sports Park up at Mud / Isaac Brock in Upp SC. That half used to be a dump as well... now it's a huge sportsplex and looks great. The city certainly has done a lot of good things with old dumps.

This bridge is great and I also hope it takes less than 5 years to get built. But this IS Hamilton afterall

I love the Beachfront Trail, and this will be a great addition! I can't wait for the day one can walk/run/bike/blade/stroll ALL around the bay on one, continuous trail!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

The bridge is suppose to be up by Spring of 2009.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
Closed account

Is this the right spot?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yea that looks about right.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:54 PM

Hi All,
I wanted to introduce an idea that could connect confederation park trails to downtown Hamilton and Princess Point (West End). I noticed that the proposed bridge will connect to Globe park which is a short distance to the train tracks that run parallel to Barton street. My suggestion would be that the city put up a chain link fence along the tracks for safety allowing bicyclists to travel a path going west and then through Ferguson street to the downtown as well as Bayfront park and eventually Princess Point. I don't know where to start in introducing this idea to city officials. If any of you reading this feel it is an interesting idea, please feel free to contact city officials or offer suggestions. Thanks.
Northender

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:39 AM
Closed account

i'm always in favour of more bike paths. would this be using city or cn property?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 7:13 AM

Why stop at Ferguson? I posted a few years back that we should put a trail right accross to Stoney Creek, then over the new pedestrian bridge to reconnect with the waterfront trail. There are so many neat "back of old factory" spots along the route that it would make a really cool heritage route, plaques and all.

I had Bob Bratina's ear for a time, and I think he did a little digging, but I'm not sure what the block was (I assume it would be hard to get the land from CP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northender98 View Post
Hi All,
I wanted to introduce an idea that could connect confederation park trails to downtown Hamilton and Princess Point (West End). I noticed that the proposed bridge will connect to Globe park which is a short distance to the train tracks that run parallel to Barton street. My suggestion would be that the city put up a chain link fence along the tracks for safety allowing bicyclists to travel a path going west and then through Ferguson street to the downtown as well as Bayfront park and eventually Princess Point. I don't know where to start in introducing this idea to city officials. If any of you reading this feel it is an interesting idea, please feel free to contact city officials or offer suggestions. Thanks.
Northender

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's Hammer Time

East Hamilton Trail and Waterfront Link

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...front+Link.htm

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:08 PM
Closed account

when is construction???

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 1:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Early 2009 and should be finished by 2010, that includes Rennie Park redevelopment. Thanks to provincal money.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:26 PM

Check out this new pedestrian bridge that connects two states: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158582

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:42 PM
Closed account

wow...that is awesome!! I wish we'd do stuff like that here.

Omaha looks pretty decent...the downtown looks good from the skyline shots anyhow.

I'm always reminded of the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - "Lady Fannie of Omaha!"

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 1:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

I guess they decided to name the bridge, Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 12:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

One red-hot design for pedestrian bridge
Gateway over QEW to be 'unique colour'

December 02, 2008
Special to the Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/475401

Hamilton's new pedestrian bridge over the QEW will be a vision in red.

City staff told councillors yesterday that the planned bridge, which will also serve as a gateway feature, should be painted an earthy red to make it stand out from the backdrop of the highway and wetlands.

The original plan called for white, like the Humber River pedestrian bridge in Toronto.

"We need a unique colour to Hamilton," said city staffer Steve Barnhart, noting the colour will be similar to that of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Barnhart said red better symbolizes the city's steel heritage and the soil in the Red Hill Valley.

The pedestrian bridge, which will span 300 metres over the highway from the former Brampton Street landfill to the waterfront, is to be paid for by a $14-million grant from the province.

The grant will also pay for trail improvements.

Annual maintenance of the bridge is expected to cost anywhere from $250,000 to $400,000.

The city hopes to find a contractor to build the bridge by next spring. It will take another year to fabricate the steel structure.

The grand opening is planned for 2010.

"I really appreciate the design," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger, noting the special attention to nighttime lighting on the bridge. "I think it looks terrific."

Councillor Tom Jackson agreed, suggesting the gateway will help "change the overall image of our city."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm very pumped and excited about this new bridge. I think it's going to be great, especially with the red colour.

I saw an animated fly over of the bridge, I'll try to find it and post it here.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 1:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

I changed the title of the thread to Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge, since that will be the name of the new pedestrian bridge.

Anyone know the history of Van Wagner?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:14 PM

The concrete bridge abutment at the right in the picture has already been built by MTO as they work on the QEW & Red Hill Connection.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:37 PM

I'm riding it the first weekend it's open!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure