HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:20 AM
It's Hammer Time

220 Dundurn St | ? | 3 fl | Complete

Developer owns troubled building
What will Denis Vranich do with Dundurn eyesore that cost $1.5 million?

Steve Arnold and Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(Oct 2, 2007)

Denis Vranich is the latest owner of 220 Dundurn St. -- a sorry four-acre plot of land with a large building that has at times acted as a hosiery factory, school board storage facility and flophouse.

Land registry records show Vranich purchased the site Jan. 31 for $1.5 million under the name 220 Dundurn St. Inc.

The building on the site has been plagued with problems that have intensified since 2004 when its third-floor caught fire under then-suspicious circumstances. In 2005, under the ownership of a numbered company in Thornhill, the city had dozens of calls a week from residents complaining about the derelict state of the building.

Brian McHattie, Ward 1 councillor, said the plot at the corner of Chatham and Dundurn streets has been at the top of his priority list since he was elected four years ago.

"It is one of the great frustrations in the city how these abandoned buildings can bring down neighbourhoods," he said.

McHattie said he met with Vranich twice since he purchased the property and while there were no definite plans discussed, Vranich indicated he hoped to submit building plans to the city by the end of November.

"I'm not getting too excited except I'll give him a call about it at that time."

McHattie said the city has received two property standard complaints since Vranich purchased the property.

"We've sent over cleanup crews and just added it to his tax bill -- just what we've done with previous owners."

Paul Buckle, acting co-ordinator of the municipal law enforcement division, said two orders to clear up the property and a third to secure it against trespassers have been issued. The boarding up of windows was done by a city contractor. The status of the cleanup work remains uncertain, but Buckle said if work is being done at the property now, it is likely ordered by Vranich.

Vranich did not return phone calls from The Hamilton Spectator. His father, developer Darko Vranich, refused to comment.

Since 1998, the building has been through five owners -- the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board sold it for $400,000 to a company called Dundurn Street Loffts Inc. which planned to turn it into loft apartments. A year after the purchase Dundurn Loffts gave a $1.5 million mortgage to Mississauga-based Retrocom Growth Fund Inc. Retrocom took possession of the property under power of sale in 2003 and sold it to 1574296 Ontario Inc., of Thornhill, for $2 million. The numbered company then sold it this year to Vranich for $1.5 million.

Neighbour Mark Powell, was delighted by the chance something might finally happen with a building which has been a blight on the neighbourhood for years. "If we can do anything to expedite something happening there I'm sure the whole community will get behind it," he said.

Ward 2 Councillor Bob Bratina said it was his understanding that Denis has a business separate from his father.

But Bratina said that both father and son don't "just sit on properties, (they) do things with them."

Darko Vranich owns the former Hamilton Motor Products (HMP) building on Bay Street and is proposing a 120-room Hilton Homewood Suites Hotel at that site. He is also behind plans for a 100-room Holiday Inn Express at King and Queen streets and a 60-room Days Inn at Main and Spring streets.

Bratina said Darko Vranich told him he intends to submit plans to the city's building department in October, which will have details about the Hilton hotel complex.

"He's had to change his plans for the (HMP) building at the behest of the heritage committee," said Bratina.

Darko Vranich, with partner Steve Pocrnic, is also behind a plan to transform ratty buildings on Main Street West, Hess Street South and Queen Street South into modern loft-office combinations, while Denis Vranich and partner John Bukovac are behind plans for a $30-million hotel-office project at Golf Links and Stone Church roads in Ancaster's Meadowlands.

Denis Vranich, 31, pleaded guilty in court in September to sexually assaulting a female bartender at a Hess Street business where he is property owner and manager. He is to be sentenced Oct. 30.

He is not the first owner of the Dundurn Street building to find himself in court -- in 2005 Dundurn Loffts owner Adam J. Stelmaszynski of Brantford and two of his companies were convicted of four charges under the federal Excise Tax Act in a Brantford court.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:12 AM
Closed account

Denis Vranich sentenced to house arrest for attack

October 30, 2007
BY BARBARA BROWN
The Hamilton Spectator

A Hess Village businessman who sexually assaulted a female bartender will serve a year under house arrest.
He’s also barred from entering the village without the written permission of his conditional sentence supervisor.
Denis Vranich, 31, was ordered by Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel to wear an electronic-monitoring bracelet on his ankle while serving his conditional sentence. The 12-month term will be followed by a further year of reporting to a probation officer.
Vranich, who owns the property and manages the Elixir Lounge and Nightclub, pleaded guilty last month to sexually assaulting a 22-year-old staff member. He admitted to cornering and attacking the woman on the night of July 20, 2006, while she was bartending at a private, after-hours party.
The Ancaster man, who is involved in several property development projects around the city, made two separate appearances at the John Sopinka Courthouse yesterday. Earlier, he was found guilty of impaired driving and refusing a breathalyser demand by police.
Those charges arose on Aug. 11, 2006, after Vranich crashed a Porsche into a ditch while exiting the King Street West ramp to Highway 403. The sports car was destroyed and Vranich was dazed but not seriously injured.
This was Vranich’s first drinking-and-driving conviction, although he has 31 prior convictions under the Highway Traffic Act. “It’s certainly an atrocious driving record,” said Ontario Court Justice Don Cooper, who handed Vranich $1,600 in fines and suspended his licence for 18 months.
Under the terms of his conditional sentence and probation order for the sexual assault, Vranich is prohibited from consuming alcohol for two years.
Assistant Crown attorney Stan Dudzic told court at Vranich’s guilty plea last month that on the night the bartender was assaulted, she was dressed in a corset, garter belt and stockings in keeping with management’s “lingerie night” theme.
He said Vranich grabbed the woman, pulled down her bodice, groped her breasts and penetrated her with his finger.
The convicted man, the son of well-known property developer Darko Vranich, will have his name on the national sex offender registry for 10 years and a sample of his blood will be analyzed and submitted to Canada’s national criminal database.
The victim told Judge Zabel she felt defiled and humiliated after the assault.
“The thought of him makes me absolutely nauseous and brings on panic attacks,” she said in a victim impact statement.
“When I go anywhere and someone I used to work with is there, I leave immediately because I feel humiliated.”
The recommendation of the Crown and defence lawyer Dean Paquette for a period of house arrest caused a public outcry when it was reported in The Spectator last month.
Hamilton resident Crystal Stevens started a petition on Facebook to protest the proposed sentence.
She collected close to 1,700 names before the social networking website received a complaint and shut the group down.
Approximately 20 people, including Stevens and Lenore Lukasik-Foss, director of Hamilton’s Sexual Assault Centre, joined a walk on Saturday from the downtown courthouse to Hess Village to protest the sentence.
“If you’re being placed on the national sex offender registry, you should be spending some time in jail,” said Stevens.
In January 2001, Vranich was ordered to pay more than $85,000 in fines and surcharges after being convicted on three counts of prostitution-related offences and three charges of falsifying immigration records.
The charges were laid in 1999 following a joint police task force investigation into complaints that young Hungarian women were being lured to this country with the prospect of lucrative jobs as exotic dancers.
The section of the Criminal Code under which Vranich was convicted in 2001 refers to procuring persons under the age of 18 and exercising control over them to engage in prostitution.

— with files by Dana Borcea

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 2:17 AM
Closed account

Hmmm... so hopefully his office is all set up in his house!?
His development deals will definately give him something to do!?
Let's hope he gets super bored and buys up some more properties and redoes them all! He has a whole year in his house, c'mon Dennis!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:28 PM
Closed account

what an asshole. you can bet that wasn't the first time he sexually assaulted someone. he sounds like the kinda guy who didn't have much parental supervision growing up. i wonder if darko's any better. total dickwad.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe back in the days Darko, the father, used to own a few strip joints.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:34 PM
Closed account

I'd prefer if this guy got the heck out of town. What a frick.
I know someone who recently did some tile work for these guys at a hotel in Ajax...they said they're two of the worst human beings they've ever met (and these guys have travelled the world).
To top it off, they never got paid.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:59 PM
Closed account

^^ great... sounds like typical Hamilton Developers to me.

Sooo what are our chances of their projects actually going ahead then?
And Ya, Dennis seems like the kind of guy who always got away with everything by throwing around his $$$

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 9:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

220 Dundurn Street South (across from the Beer Store)

Councillor McHattie continues to meet and encourage the owner of this property to fast-track development plans. Despite the 2005 fire, it now appears that the existing building can be retained in the redevelopment.

McHattie met with the owners July 15th, 2008.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 9:43 PM
Hammer'd

Lofts. Lofts. Lofts.

The answer is so freaking obvious and the demand is totally there. What the hell is holding this up?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Lofts. Lofts. Lofts.

The answer is so freaking obvious and the demand is totally there. What the hell is holding this up?
Maybe they are using it as another storage facility....? I've heard many a story about these guys, and I just get a feeling to stay away from them and anything there directly associated with..You could'nt pay me to step foot in Elixir!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:45 AM

It will be torn down if they do not hurry. I have been in it. It is always wet, has holes in the roof and the wooden floors. Partial roof collapse at the rear. Sections of the steel beams are showing signs of heavy rust. It is a steel and brick building. All of the floors are wood. The building is vacant except when people break in and set fires.
Here is part of a memo to the fire department from the building department.
• the roof over the rear, one (1) storey area has partially collapsed
• the roof over the north-east (front), 2nd storey has been supported by a system of beams and columns and could become unstable in a fire
• there are holes in the open floor area

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:23 PM
Closed account

I love how they have posted an Elixir ad up on the front door. If there's anything that'll make me want to visit THAT bar, it's definately an ad on a derelict warehouse! haha

Ya, these guys are slimey... I'm not expecting much from them anyway (including a hotel @ Main & Bay!)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Dundurn factory could house seniors

March 20, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/533367

An old industrial building that's been an eyesore in the Kirkendall neighbourhood may yet see life as apartments for seniors.

The building at 220 Dundurn St. has been a hosiery factory, a school board storage facility and flophouse.

About 10 years ago, there were grand plans to turn it into loft apartments that never materialized. In recent years, neighbours have complained that vagrants have gained entry.

"A developer has made his interests known for seniors' rental housing, but is awaiting information on the new Canada-Ontario Affordable Housing program," wrote Ward 1 Councillor Brian McHattie in an e-mail. He says it is the most tangible interest that he has seen in his five years on the job. He says the owner recently took responsibility for cleaning and boarding it up.

Owner Denis Vranich had no comment when asked.

Debbie Spence, city spokesperson for planning and economic development, says the city has had inquiries on the property, but no site plan applications.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:53 PM

boomer effect? we should all be investing in seniors homes right now.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

There's already a senior residence on Dundurn. It's a good area with all the amenities nearby. If I was a senior I rather live there than First Place (no grocery and LCBO nearby).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

With the Affordable Housing from the Federal budget Hamilton is suppose to get $15.9 million. If the province matches it (Dalton usually does) Hamilton could get $31.8 million.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:25 PM

It seems a bit sad that that building could never make it as regular condos rather than senior and/or affordable housing. Better than to leave it to rot further I guess.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Province increases funding for kids
Canadian Press
3/20/2009

Ontario will speed up a big increase in the child benefit for low income families, bumping up the implementation date by two years to July 1.

The parents of about 1.3 million kids are eligible for the child benefit, which will jump from $600 a year to a maximum of $1,100 per child.

Families earning less than $20,000 would qualify for the entire amount, while there is a sliding scale for others depending on the number of children.

Parents with one child could earn up to $33,750 and still qualify for a portion of the child benefit, while a family with three kids can earn up to $61,250 and be eligible for a partial payment.

Premier Dalton McGuinty says Ontario will also kick in its $600-million share of a federal-provincial social housing program.

The $1.2 billion announced in the federal budget will pay to renovate 50,000 social housing units and build 4,500 new affordable housing units

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
boomer effect? we should all be investing in seniors homes right now.
That and hearing aids. When I can consistently hear the music from someone else's iPod I know there's going to be a strong future market.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
There's already a senior residence on Dundurn. It's a good area with all the amenities nearby. If I was a senior I rather live there than First Place (no grocery and LCBO nearby).
Yeah, with those seniors it's all eating and drinking, lol.

On a serious note, I've heard First Place is in rough shape. Demolish over renovate rough. I have no first hand knowledge, but remember reading something about that in The Spec at some point in the past year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton