HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Apparently the property is still for sale, not sold.
Interesting. Do you know if Slate is still trying to sell it? Or did Slate already sell it and now the new owners are trying to sell it again? It's no longer listed on Slate's website (https://www.slateam.com/portfolio) and hasn't been for a long time.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:40 PM

The project appears under GSP's active projects now.

This project looks nice and suits the area, and represents a major upgrade over the plaza. Having density close to Hamilton GO Centre makes too much sense and also gives John S, an identity in combination with other rumoured projects. Economics seems to faze city councillors.

Last edited by craftbeerdad; Sep 22, 2020 at 7:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
The project appears under GSP's active projects now.

This project looks nice and suits the area, and represents a major upgrade over the plaza. Having density close to Hamilton GO Centre makes too much sense and also gives John S, an identity in combination with other rumoured projects. Economics seems to faze city councillors.
My understanding is that the developer has since backed away from this project and it is no longer active. I'm not 100% certain of that though.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:14 PM

Slate is still very much an active company with their Junction House and One Delisle projects in Toronto moving forward. My guess is that the hassle of dealing with the city made this project not financially feasible. Slate is a giant company that owns almost all of the properties at Yonge and St Clair. Their exit from Hamilton isn’t really a good indicator of the health of the company.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Slate is still very much an active company with their Junction House and One Delisle projects in Toronto moving forward. My guess is that the hassle of dealing with the city made this project not financially feasible. Slate is a giant company that owns almost all of the properties at Yonge and St Clair. Their exit from Hamilton isn’t really a good indicator of the health of the company.
It's a good indicator that dealing with Hamilton City Council and related parties remains stifling and tiresome, re:Slate.

Let's keep our parking lots, old plazas, and old infrastructure as is, it's easier to preserve in a time capsule. This project finally checked a bunch of boxes & doesn't look like garbage aesthetically, but no. Ah well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:38 PM

The Development Map has an updated description for this one, with a new 2020 site plan application number:

"To construct a mixed use development consisting of a 27 storey, 415 unit multiple dwelling with 208 parking spaces and a 14 storey mixed use building with 354 dwelling units, 929 sqm of commercial space and 254 parking spaces."

A total of 769 units, which is a huge amount of density, especially for just a 27 and 14 storey tower. This will likely look bulky as hell. Not a lot of retail.

I'm interested to see who bought the site as well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Yes I'm aware. I meant more so that they backed out of this project, not that the company itself went under. They are a mega international asset management company, I don't expect them to go under any time soon.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

A total of 769 units, which is a huge amount of density, especially for just a 27 and 14 storey tower. This will likely look bulky as hell. Not a lot of retail.

I'm interested to see who bought the site as well.

It's not too bad, that's 10,000sqft of retail space and with most small downtown retail spaces being around 2000sqft that means there's room for 5 businesses of that size. Corktown looks to have a bit more than 10,000sqft, but not much more, maybe 18,000sqft. So about half. But I know staff didn't even want retail along John St because of the speeds of cars coming down the mountain. Which I disagree with, because cars shouldn't be flying in the downtown anyway.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:53 AM
Forever forward.

Ugh. This sucks.

But eat your heart out, Hamilton! It's been cut down to the sacred height limit, and all we had to give up in exchange was the architectural quality, good urbanism, and half the retail space!

Pics from the new docs on GSP Group website.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:51 AM

I would still love to know who exactly was behind the 30 floor height limit. Was it just basically Jason Thorne? A few busybodies on the DNA?

Anyways I live right near here, and I don't know who this serves, except some single family housing possessing individuals. We lose out on apartments during a massive increase in apartment rents and the extra assessment they would have generated when the city could desperately use tax revenues.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 9:39 AM

I'll tell you this much regarding the heights limit. The idea that it servers to prevent the escarpment from being hidden is ridiculous. Once all these towers go up to their respective height limits. You still won't be able to see the escarpment behind them. Perhaps a little sliver. It really is to pander to Durand Neighbourhood Association. Why else did it show up right as Television City was going through the motions. I tried to be supportive of it but once I came to the realization that 30 stories was pretty much still going to block the escarpment I became more pissed off about it than before.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:49 PM

If I remember correctly, wasn't the original going to include/be affordable housing? Is that still the case?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:13 PM

Interesting. I thought Slate had sold this site, but the landscape drawings dated from this July have their name on it still. wonder what's going on with this project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:46 PM

Doesn't look like it has the glass look on the podium which I really liked on this building - shame.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

Wow that's a downgrade in design.

Still can't get my head around why they wouldn't incorporate a grocery store (people getting off the train could grab groceries, serve the area residents, etc) into this development. The lack of grocery stores within the core promotes driving. I guess there's Nations for some things. It's almost like they don't want John St S to get built up into a nice dense area close to a transit hub. It's not like this area encroaches on Durand's lofty neighbourhood and distinct prominence.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:25 PM

Thread title can be changed to > Corktown Plaza Redevelopment | 91m | 27+ 14 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:53 PM

I am not a fan of losing commercial, especially since this plaza has a large number of businesses in it. I don't have a problem with the massing too much, but don't love the giant hole in the middle, I'm not sure why it needs so many entrances.

I'm not sure we can comment on architecture. This is obviously a simple massing picture with zero architectural details, unless they've posted a new rendering.

Also I can't find anything that gives the new sqft number for commercial space, how do we know there is a reduction? Was this presented somewhere?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Oct 27, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I don't have a problem with the massing too much, but don't love the giant hole in the middle, I'm not sure why it needs so many entrances.

I like the larger courtyard in the middle- especially if they can incorporate retail into it - that is having a front and an entrance to the courtyard. In Berlin many new builds are like this and it encourages people to use the courtyard. Especially if those businesses are food.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:38 PM

I agree, if done properly it could be a good way to create a new public space for people in this development and the neighborhood (something Hamilton seriously lacks).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:58 PM

Also, this has a "rental office" on the ground floor, which likely means it'll be a rental building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton