HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Regardless of opinion about the building's style, this render shows an interesting angle of downtown we don't usually see in photos. It will be more so once more of the towers under construction or proposed on the west side of downtown go up, and at City Centre.

Also illustrates (to me anyway) that this one is a good scale for Cannon near James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Here are a few more renderings. Sorry, they're not all that great a resolution as they're screenshots from Friday's DRP.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Yes I will admit the scale is good - and this street is in some desperate need of some density.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:02 PM

That looks great!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:35 PM

I hope it has bike parking. I need to watch and provide feedback if it has limited cycling accomodations considering it is right next to the most used bike lane in the city.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:51 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I hope it has bike parking. I need to watch and provide feedback if it has limited cycling accomodations considering it is right next to the most used bike lane in the city.
I'd imagine it would considering the parking lot next door is already there and thus probably won't be enough for all of the people in that building.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:59 PM

That parking lot is going to be turned into a urban park as part of the Style Park project It'll be good to get this condo built right beside these offices!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 11:42 PM
Forever forward.

Regarding the scale, the DRP pretty much roundly said they did not like the height, that it's a midrise height, et cetera. DRP comments start at about 45 minutes in.

Regarding bike parking, yes, it has it. They are located on the P2 level. P2 level is shown at about 9:50 in the video.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:04 PM

Wow that's very disappointing...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Regarding the scale, the DRP pretty much roundly said they did not like the height, that it's a midrise height, et cetera. [URL="https://youtu.be/1shBkHKklN4?t=2709"]DRP comments start at about 45 minutes in
Shocking.

I agree with the one comment about the original facade being "overwhelmed and lost" but since the original is not tall to begin with almost anything on top will do that, even with substantial setbacks. (had to shut off the video shortly after the second speaker started... it began to feel "relentless" )

As a midrise, say 8-10 storeys, this would still be very divergent from the existing stock in the immediately surrounding area. You'd end up with something like Acclamation, but the site is much smaller so it's probably not profitable to build at that height, especially if the setback comment were reflected in the design as well.

I'm curious what was said about the height of Kiwi Condos before it was approved... there are some comments on page 3 of that thread about it being "slabby" but did they comment on it being tall? It's not built atop an older/heritage structure, but is only two floors shorter than 16 Cannon E, yet also surrounded largely by 2-4 storey buildings with some taller apartment blocks not far away.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Regarding the scale, the DRP pretty much roundly said they did not like the height, that it's a midrise height, et cetera. DRP comments start at about 45 minutes in.

Regarding bike parking, yes, it has it. They are located on the P2 level. P2 level is shown at about 9:50 in the video.
They actually echoed some of my points in that when you go for something like this you tend to overwhelm the heritage element that you are trying to preserve. They said the building feels like it is being "crushed and overwhelmed" by the tower in which I also said that.

Additionally the attempt to properly transition the heritage element into the building they touched on - how it just sorta erupts from it like a chest burster from alien where the facade is just a shell - and it doesn't harmonize with the 2nd and 3rd stories of the buildings around it. There is a lack of respect for the heritage element that I think is evident.

They basically agreed with all the concerns I had as well.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:56 PM

An issue with scale? That seems absolutely bonkers.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:57 AM

Noticed that this is yet another development with a car elevator. It seems to propose using some sort of car stacker.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:44 PM

I'm loving Hamilton's increasingly creative solutions to parking. These sorts of things aren't common even in Toronto. Car stackers are quite rare - I can think of only a handful of developments that have them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:35 PM

I would have liked to see bicycle parking on the main floor. The proposal at Main and Queen that was recently approved has bicycle parking on the main floor, and it is one of the most hostile cycling areas. This development on the other hand should lean into cycle parking since it is literally on the most used bicycle lane in the city.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'm loving Hamilton's increasingly creative solutions to parking. These sorts of things aren't common even in Toronto. Car stackers are quite rare - I can think of only a handful of developments that have them.
That's because they break down - and THEN what do you do?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
That's because they break down - and THEN what do you do?
Oh I know. Usually you are supposed to install at least 2 car elevators on a site to ensure that one is always operable. Both this site and the other one on Cannon west of James only have a single elevator.. I wouldn't want my car in the garage on a day the elevator breaks or goes into service for maintenance.

The two developments I know of in Toronto to have elevators each have at least two elevators I believe.

I know The One is using stackers like in that graphic above as well, but uses a ramp for vertical circulation between levels. That one will be 100% valet parking too which makes operation of the lifts a lot easier.

Another problem with car elevators is that they require training to use. This has to be provided to owners of the cars, but means that spaces serviced by them can't be used for visitor parking.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 1:32 PM

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; May 15, 2021 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 12:28 AM

Any news on this one since the DRP?

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:38 PM

Mods: it appears there are 2 threads for this.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 5:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've merged the two threads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton