HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 12:16 AM
1st Ward

City Council unanimously approves use agreement for Obama Presidential Center
Source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...031-story.html
Quote:
The Chicago City Council on Wednesday unanimously approved legislation that outlines how the Obama Foundation will be able to use the Obama Presidential Center once it is built in Jackson Park.

Once constructed, the facility will be turned over to the city, which will own the buildings. The foundation will be able to occupy the buildings and use them for 99 years in exchange for a one-time $10 fee. The legislation also outlines how some roadways will be adjusted to make way for the $500 million campus.

“We’ve come full circle by bringing a presidential center to the South Side of Chicago,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said to applauding aldermen. “It’s been a long journey. … I got a little older in the process.

During his remarks, Emanuel read a letter he said was written by former President Barack Obama thanking the council for supporting development of the center.

“I am so excited and grateful that today the Obama Foundation received approval … on the agreement that will help bring the Obama Presidential Center to life as a resource and amenity for the people of Chicago,” Obama wrote in his letter. “Michelle and I could not be prouder or more excited to bring the center to the South Side, a community that has given us both so much.”

Obama repeated the statement on a video released by the foundation on Twitter moments after the vote.

Still, the foundation’s top brass applauded the City Council vote as a victory and said they plan to continue pushing forward. The use agreement will allow the foundation to occupy 19.3 acres of Jackson Park.

Unlike other museums, the center will not receive any city financial subsidies and the foundation will pay for operating the facility. The foundation will have to create an endowment and document to city officials that it has the money to both build and operate the facility independently.

“We’ll keep working on it and push it to the finish line,” said Martin Nesbitt, chairman of the foundation’s board.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 6:33 PM
Plenary pleasures.

New images of the Obama Center main building:

(Images courtesy of Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I like how it looks like it belongs in a park. Also kind of echoes the Logan Arts Center, which is not too far away: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7859...thumbfov%3D100

Oh wait, it's the same architect isn't it?

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Nov 20, 2018 at 4:03 AM. Reason: added streetsview link

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:54 AM
Show me the blueprints

Every since it was revealed something about it reminds me of the Yavin IV Rebel base from Star Wars. And I'm into that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:38 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I like how it looks like it belongs in a park. Also kind of echoes the Logan Arts Center, which is not too far away: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7859...thumbfov%3D100

Oh wait, it's the same architect isn't it?
I’ve heard people make this same comment and mean it as a criticism, but I don’t see anything wrong with an architect designing two buildings in dialogue with each other. These two will be giants in the Hyde Park skyline for decades to come, I like the “two towers” thing shaping up along 60th. I don’t expect residential towers south of the Midway anytime soon, so the view of these towers will be unobstructed for the foreseeable future.

Also nothing wrong with an architect having a distinctive style. Does anyone go to Oak Park or Riverside and complain that the Frank Lloyd Wright houses are too similar?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:43 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I’ve heard people make this same comment and mean it as a criticism, but I don’t see anything wrong with an architect designing two buildings in dialogue with each other. These two will be giants in the Hyde Park skyline for decades to come, as I don’t expect residential towers south of the Midway anytime soon.
There's nothing wrong with it. I just thought it was funny because the two look so similar and then I looked it up and found out that it is the same architect.

As for residential towers south of the Midway:

https://www.chicagomaroon.com/photo/...orm-rendering/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:46 AM
TL;DR

I forgot about the high rise portion on that one, I thought it was gonna be another midrise like the Goody Clancy one already in South Campus.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:19 PM

I don't like it, it looks like a giant brutalist tall bunker with some random windows stuck on and stones stuck on the outside like those 60's apartments buildings. I like all the Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Gang designs alot better! Also are those random letters on the top, or are they supposed to say something?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 3:58 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
These two will be giants in the Hyde Park skyline for decades to come, I like the “two towers” thing shaping up along 60th. I don’t expect residential towers south of the Midway anytime soon, so the view of these towers will be unobstructed for the foreseeable future.
In addition to the dorms, there is the 190-foot tall hotel at 60th and Dorchester and the 165-foot tall Rubenstein Forum at 60th and Woodlawn. Also, none of these structures are in Hyde Park.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I don't like it, it looks like a giant brutalist tall bunker with some random windows stuck on and stones stuck on the outside like those 60's apartments buildings. I like all the Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Gang designs alot better! Also are those random letters on the top, or are they supposed to say something?
TO each their own, I guess. I think the DS+R one is trying too hard to look like a drunken student's stack of textbooks, and the glass/steel cladding is just kinda chintzy.

The renderings we've seen for the Obama Center are all supposed to be warm and fuzzy watercolors, but check out TWBTA's Barnes Foundation in Philly if you wanna see what the actual cladding will look like. I'd hate for you to picture an Edgewater 4+1 with lava rock, lol. There's an article where they talk about how they evaluated stone from around the world to find one with the right warmth and durability, eventually using a limestone from Israel. All the other building materials at the Barnes are carefully chosen to create a powerful effect, from the hand-rubbed bronze window frames to the plaster on the ceilings.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

[/QUOTE]

Cue Bob Seger

Seriously though, the winning proposal was the best proposal.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 2:49 PM
pragmatist

Quote:
I don’t see anything wrong with an architect designing two buildings in dialogue with each other. These two will be giants in the Hyde Park skyline for decades to come, I like the “two towers” thing shaping up along 60th.
Not to mention that there are at least six towers lined up along 59th St. (west to east, Billings x2, Harper x2, Rockefeller Chapel, I-House).

That said, Washington Park was definitely the better location.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:08 PM

Ruling expected today?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:20 PM
The City

I love how damn slow lawsuits always go. It's criminal--clearly a system rigged by greedy lawyers to create as many billable hours as possible.

They probably could've combed through legal documents and Case Law in an afternoon or two over coffee, presented it to the judge, and gotten us an answer months ago. But that wouldn't make anybody any money....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:37 PM

And the lawsuit is allowed to proceed. Sigh

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:42 PM

good thing they cut down all those trees ahead of time

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
good thing they cut down all those trees ahead of time
Oh man...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:49 PM

This could be Chicago's New York Amazon moment...losing Lucas was bad, this would be completely jaw dropping.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster slayer View Post
This could be Chicago's New York Amazon moment...losing Lucas was bad, this would be completely jaw dropping.
Ridiculous. It's mind boggling how stupid this City can be at times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development