HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:58 PM

Multi-million dollar condo development planned for Parkdale

Jason Pitre of MRE Group of Charlottetown has announced a significant investment in Parkdale, a new condominium development that will see an investment of approximately $16 million.

The proposed development, called Parkdale Place, is to be built on Gower Street, with access to St. Peter's Road.

Pitra says while the condo market in Charlottetown has been growing over the past five years, he has noticed there is a section of the market that is not being catered to — condos that are spacious with higher end finishes, yet still affordable.

"Not everyone can afford to spend $500,000 on a condo so we have been hearing over and over that the public is looking for something more mid range and affordable.”

The condo development will feature a number of suite styles in the $200,000 to $260,000 range with features such as underground parking, air conditioning, a gym and common area, private decks, granite counter tops, en suites with in-floor heat and appliance packages.

All condo units in the building have two bedrooms and two full bathrooms and prices are fully inclusive of all amenities including HST.

MRE Group has partnered with Century 21 Colonial Realty to sell the condo's.

“Our office and agents have extensive experience in the condo market here in Charlottetown and we feel that these condos have great appeal to many residents of P.E.I. that wish to own their living space while they also enjoy the smart condo lifestyle,” says Century 21 owner Joel Ives.

The average ‘days on market’ for condos in Charlottetown is high, at 296 days, but Pitre believes that these prices and details will appeal to a large segment of the population here.

There have been over 100 condo units sold in a variety of developments around Charlottetown over the past few years, so the 'condo lifestyle' while new to P.E.I. is certainly catching on, said Pitre.

Century 21 will begin pre-sales of the condos this month, and construction is scheduled to begin in 2013 with occupancy ready for 2014.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:42 PM

I see Extreme Pita is opening up in the Building housing Toys R Us over on the side facing into the Shoppers parking lot. I also hear that Things Engraved is moving across the from the Juice Zone in the Charlottetown Mall and is going to be taking half the store as the other half from what I hear is going to be the store called Lids which is a store that sells hats. It has locations all across Canada and the US. Has anyone heard if there are any more shops to go out by the New Sobeys or out by the Sears or Kent store going up.

Just an Islander

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:30 PM
New Brunswick booster!

This thread died What's going on PEI?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
This thread died What's going on PEI?
There were never more than a few people posting on this thread, and nobody with the dedication of a Smevo from the Sydney thread.

There probably isn't much going on right now on the Island, or at least not enough to maintain the interest of development enthusiasts. I used to help look after this thread a couple of years back, but sadly I no longer have any family connections on PEI and rarely get over there, so I have no idea what's going on......

If any Islanders are out there, I was wondering - has there been any movement on that hotel proposal at the corner of Water & Queen Streets directly opposite the Delta Prince Edward Hotel? How are things progressing with the expansion of the convention centre?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:15 PM

APM is renovating that building for office and retail use. They no longer plan to put a hotel in it. The KENT store is Charlottetown is nearing completion. There's no word on if there is anything else being built near it.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 10:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
APM is renovating that building for office and retail use. They no longer plan to put a hotel in it. The KENT store is Charlottetown is nearing completion. There's no word on if there is anything else being built near it.
Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. That was a nice looking hotel project.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:34 PM

Pita Pit is opening up next to weight watchers by Sobeys.

Also mention of Canadian Tire moving

Any word on walmart moving or expanding?

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 2:59 AM

Summerside

This is an article from the online Journal Pioneer

Summerside Port Authority buys Spinnakers' Landing

Spinnakers
Published on May 24, 2013
Mike Carson

Topics : Summerside Port Authority , Burger King , Journal Pioneer , Summerside Port
SUMMERSIDE – The Summerside Port Authority has purchased Spinnakers’ Landing, the last major piece of property needed for the long-term development plan to begin.
Arnold Croken, port authority president said, the idea behind the purchase of the popular tourism attraction, will benefit not only the authority’s future plans, but also the local tourism industry.
“The owners approached us that they were anxious to sell that property,” Croken said. “In addition to that they had signaled that they were planning to slowly shut it and would not be operating next summer. With that information in hand, we recognized it as an icon within our tourism products here in Summerside.”
The authority has been on a quest to acquire adjacent properties that will enhance the future operations of the port. It had already purchased the former Burger King property and Harbour Quay.
“It complements our long term plans of what we see coming here in the waterfront development we’re working on,” Croken said. “It was a piece of property that was somewhat in our mind over the last while and we felt if we did do that deal it would pretty much complete the land acquisitions that we had targeted so that we could implement our long-term plan.”
Full story in Saturday's Journal Pioneer

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:11 PM

I feel like Tim Banks still feels that Charlottetown could use a another hotel and as I recall he has mentioned that perhaps closer to the airport could be a potential destination. It just dawned on me that maybe the other "big project" near Kent could be a hotel. Maybe like a Hilton or another brand name hotel.

I have not heard about Canadian Tire moving. Walmart will be expanding, I should have word on when relatively soon.

Also the KFC in Charlottetown has recently been renovated and the one is Summerside is being renovated this summer.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:43 PM
New Brunswick booster!

A lot of KFCs have been replaced or had massive renos done in New Brunswick that I've seen.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
I feel like Tim Banks still feels that Charlottetown could use a another hotel and as I recall he has mentioned that perhaps closer to the airport could be a potential destination. It just dawned on me that maybe the other "big project" near Kent could be a hotel. Maybe like a Hilton or another brand name hotel.

I have not heard about Canadian Tire moving. Walmart will be expanding, I should have word on when relatively soon.

Also the KFC in Charlottetown has recently been renovated and the one is Summerside is being renovated this summer.
Which KFC in Charlottetown? Isn't there like 3 or 4 of them?

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Which KFC in Charlottetown? Isn't there like 3 or 4 of them?
I forgot about that. The one on University Ave. I think the one in East Royalty may be renovated this summer as well. Not positive though.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 11:57 PM

Hey MonctonRad,

Don't be too disappointed about not getting the hotel on Queen St. I'm a steel, concrete and glass kinda fella too but what they have done to the old the Kays Building has added a whole new beauty to the lower Queen St. facade. With the old Coast Guard building gone and this building brought back to life, and with this perspective ending at the now seen water of the harbour at the bottom of Queen, it's going to look nice.
I've merged the old and new here for all to see. Very nice I think!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:06 AM

Also, to add to the previous post. Two blocks up from the previous building across from the Canton Cafe Restaurant in the vacant lot, they built this. It all flows quite nicely with this lot being developed.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:19 AM

O'Halloran condos

Here is an update photo of the O'Halloran condos on Richmond St. The six story condo building is progressing well. More to images later.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 2:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

thanks for the photos Braymondg, much appreciated!

I'll likely be over to the old home place sometime in the next couple of months......

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
I forgot about that. The one on University Ave. I think the one in East Royalty may be renovated this summer as well. Not positive though.
Don't forget about the KFC in Stratford.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 11:33 AM

I haven't heard anything about that one. There's one in Bloomfield up west too. I don't remember if there is one in Montague.
On a side not there is talk of making all of upwest a single municipality. Everywhere between O'Leary, Tignish, Alberton etc. there is a public meeting about it in June at the Rodd Mill River.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
On a side not there is talk of making all of upwest a single municipality. Everywhere between O'Leary, Tignish, Alberton etc. there is a public meeting about it in June at the Rodd Mill River.
On the surface, a municipality such as this would make little sense, as all three villages (and towns) are similar in size and separated by kilometres of farmland, but in some ways a movement in this direction is a reasonable proposition.

I was up there just this week visiting my parents grave (in an attractive little cemetery next to the Mill River golf course in Bloomfield), and it occurred to me that there is considerable sharing of services in West Prince already. There is one surviving hospital in West Prince and it is in Alberton (one of the points of a triangle including Tignish and O'leary, but arguable the most central of the three communities). Even more central is Bloomfield, and in addition to the golf course, there is a regional high school located here as well as a retail cluster (I was surprised to see that a reasonable sized Kent store had been built in Bloomfield since my last visit).

There would be considerable resistance to the idea of a regional municipality covering the entire area, as all three communities have strong local identities and intense rivalries. Tignish, with it's Irish/Acadian Catholic heritage and fishing economy would be the outlier here, and the rivalry (including frequent brawls) with the denizens of the far more WASPish farming community of Alberton are legendary.

Still, the idea has some merit. Where would the administrative seat be? What sort of governance model would they use? Would they be a "rural regional municipality", a town or what??

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 5:13 PM

Actually there is a hospital in O'Leary too although it has no ER. There is one central high school and this kind of regional municipality is no unknown to the region. The whole Cavendish region is known as the Resort Municipality and there is large areas of Nova Scotia that are Regional Municipalities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces