HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:41 PM

The Flag Thread - national flags, state flags, city flags, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Texas has a strong state identity almost rivaling being an American. Houstonians and Dallasites have some civic pride but are Texans first. I don't see this ever really changing despite urbanism and non Texans. I am from New York where we rival the Brits in self-loathing but have embraced the Texas identity. Yes, everytime I mention I am from New York even Upstate NY, they mention that the city in southeast corner of the state.
Texas is the only place I've been in the US where it is common for people, stores, cars, homes...etc to fly state flags. I don't think I've ever seen a Florida flag in Miami other than at a government building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Texas is the only place I've been in the US where it is common for people, stores, cars, homes...etc to fly state flags. I don't think I've ever seen a Florida flag in Miami other than at a government building.
outside of government buildings, you almost never see the illinois flag flown around here (due in part because it's a rather boring and generic "seal on a field" flag design).

but around chicago, you see our city flag flown everywhere.

in fact, the chicago flag is probably more common around town than even the US flag.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 5, 2021 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:47 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
outside of government buildings, you almost never see the illinois flag flown around here (due in part because it's a rather boring and generic "seal on a field" flag design).

but around chicago, you see our city flag flown everywhere.

in fact, the chicago flag is probably more common around town than even the US flag.
Along with DC, Chicago's flag is iconic and more recognizable than most states. I had to google Illinois's.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 10:14 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I don't recall people flying California flags on their cars and from their homes in my trips to SF and LA. When you are in texas, pretty much anywhere in Texas, the Texas flag is EVERYWHERE.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
I don't recall people flying California flags on their cars and from their homes in my trips to SF and LA. When you are in texas, pretty much anywhere in Texas, the Texas flag is EVERYWHERE.
Not as much as Texas, but they aren't exactly modest about it either. The most recognizable local flags off the top of my head are Texas, California, Chicago city, and Maryland.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

California's flag would be vastly improved if they removed the text.

Text on a flag defeats the whole purpose of a flag.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
California's flag would be vastly improved if they removed the text.

Text on a flag defeats the whole purpose of a flag.
I agree. I hate seeing text on a flag. Rwanda's old flag was a dog's breakfast.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:51 PM

I'd tend to agree... unless the text is a motto or something, I guess that could be okay. But text to say what it is? Big no no.

Edit: an example of okay text would be the "ordem e progresso" on the Brazilian flag.

Even a somewhat discreet "Seal of the State of New Hampshire" on the NH flag would be okay.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Not as much as Texas, but they aren't exactly modest about it either. The most recognizable local flags off the top of my head are Texas, California, Chicago city, and Maryland.
A couple of others are Puerto Rican and Catalonian flags, which I believe are both based on the Cuban flag. Also, a little tangential, but the Texas flag looks remarkably similar to the Chilean flag, although Texans will vehemently deny that their flag is in any way copied or inspired by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'd tend to agree... unless the text is a motto or something, I guess that could be okay. But text to say what it is? Big no no.

Edit: an example of okay text would be the "ordem e progresso" on the Brazilian flag.

Even a somewhat discreet "Seal of the State of New Hampshire" on the NH flag would be okay.
Well... technically, the text on California's flag is also fantasy.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
i whole-heartedly disagree.

"seal on field" flags are the worst.

they're so damn boring and unoriginal.

almost any kind proper graphic flag design (without text) is better than the old "well, we weren't really sure what our state flag should look like, so instead of, ya know, actually trying, we decided to be extremely lazy and just slap our state seal on a blue background. BOOM! there's our state flag, in all of its uninspired glory. unless you happen to be standing within 15 feet of it, you'll have absolutely no idea what it is."

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:21 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Well... technically, the text on California's flag is also fantasy.
Nonsense. The Bear Flag revolt and its breakaway "California Republic" lasted only a month, but it erupted simultaneously with the larger Mexican-American war, with covert support from the US military, and hastened the official end of Mexican control over Alta California. The revolt began modern-day California's transition to US control, a fait accompli just six months later.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:25 PM

I somewhat agree with you there, my point was mostly about the impact of the text, actually the lack thereof. The flag would be the same without that discreet text. Unlike, for example, that Rwandan flag with that stupid "R".

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:28 PM

i enjoy that the california flag has the vestigial “REPUBLIC.” past as prologue, perhaps.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
i whole-heartedly disagree.

"seal on field" flags are the worst.

they're so damn boring and unoriginal.

almost any kind proper graphic flag design (without text) is better than the old "well, we weren't really sure what our state flag should look like, so instead of, ya know, actually trying, we decided to be extremely lazy and just slap our state seal on a blue background. BOOM! there's our state flag, in all of its uninspired glory. unless you happen to be standing within 15 feet of it, you'll have absolutely no idea what it is."
From a distance and on a windy day, you can't tell apart the flags of the three northern New England states.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:31 PM

I think Colorado's state flag has to be the most unimaginative.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
but hell if you don’t see it on bumperstickers of cars driving east into the midwest. very recognizable.

it’s not very elegant or rustic like californias.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i enjoy that the california flag has the vestigial “REPUBLIC.” past as prologue, perhaps.
I do too. And in some neighborhoods of LA, you see people proudly flying or displaying California flags instead of US flags.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Texas and California are common, but then again they have a combined population of 70 million. You also see a lot of Arizona flags on houses, businesses, front vanity license plates that state N8TIVE or N8IVE. Arizona state pride is very common in the southwest.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It could be the logo of a fast food chain. Sucks as a flag, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions