HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
A birdie told me yesterday that an oyster bar is going into the old antiques and funk space.
That's great news. That'll be a fairly unique offering in Winnipeg. A decent number of cool places sell oysters but I don't think we have a dedicated oyster bar where you could get a seafood tower.

I'd love if they did a raw bar.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 6:32 PM

The King's Head downsized to their main building footprint (at least on the ground floor). The lower seating area is becoming a weed store, which the owners of Kings Head are partners in. Opening this spring.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The King's Head downsized to their main building footprint (at least on the ground floor). The lower seating area is becoming a weed store, which the owners of Kings Head are partners in. Opening this spring.
I wish the owner's well. I recall a news story about the owner(s) re-mortgaging their house to remain solvent, or perhaps to pay staff during a previous wave? My goodness. I really love that place and hope things are manageable.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 4:39 PM

I'd really like to see the rules for windows at cannabis stores change. They seem to be the only thing that can afford (and is opening in) premium rent retail spaces right now. There's so many popping up in the Exchange, Osborne, Corydon, etc. which I have no problem with at all, but it sucks they need to block out the windows. It makes no sense at all considering they can't even display the cannabis in the store, liquor, beer and wine stores can have open windows, and every weed store I've been in is very nice and clean.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 4:52 PM
surely you agree with me

That lower level of Kings Head was never great anyways. I assume they will keep access to the washrooms. Remember when they had one stall for the whole pub? It does suck that pot stores block out their windows as they take storefronts on the most prominent streets in the city.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 5:03 PM

Ya there was two sets of stairs down there so I imagine back ones will remain open and front will be closed off.

Although who knows, I'm not actually sure what the rules are for co-locating. If it's adjacent to a bar maybe they're able to leave the connection open?

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 10:02 PM

You can go straight through two sets of doors from the delta 9 in the kirkfield inn to the bar, so likely, regs seem to allow it.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hopefully wont have to smell that inside the kings head damn alergies will make it so i cant go there. get migranes and hayfever anytime im around the sstuff

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:34 PM

^ It's just a store with all the product in sealed packaging. You shouldn't smell anything.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:11 PM

206+ Princess looks like it could be ready to start accepting tenants very soon.

Bill Worb Furs building has been doing some construction inside over the last while too. Some windows getting upgraded and definitely interior upgrades. Not sure if they’re working on some sort of bigger plans or just some general maintenance.

Smokin Aces (316 McDermot) opened last week only to be shut down by Sunday.

One Eleven Tapas opening delayed til dine in is allowed.

Uncle Sam’s (cannabis store) close to being ready to open in the most recent Brick’s location, beside Hermano’s.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
206+

Bill Worb Furs building has been doing some construction inside over the last while too. Some windows getting upgraded and definitely interior upgrades. Not sure if they’re working on some sort of bigger plans or just some general maintenance.
New ownership, Bill Worb has retired, mostly like just some new sprucing up and investment.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Took a poor photo of the masonry work on the Orange Hall replacement on Princess

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
Took a poor photo of the masonry work on the Orange Hall replacement on Princess

Thanks! Been waiting to see what that building will look like

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 3:48 PM
BANNED

tyndall stone on the bottom few feet then a nice brown brick. hopefully something gets built next door.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 4:25 PM

Ohhhh, this could look quite good.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 10:42 PM

4th floor of 265 Princess is nearing completion. This thing is flying.

RRC Innovation Centre is close to being done on the exterior too it seems, just gave the solar panels and overhang roof left. Elgin is completely ripped up and work is underway on rebuilding it as a plaza.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:47 PM

Forgot to mention a few weeks ago Artspace took all the awnings off their building. No work since, curious to see if they’re gonna be doing some work on the building or just taking them off and that’s it. Definitely liked the character and depth they added.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 6:56 PM

Also, another great project by the Pollards in Centennial, close to the Exchange. From WFP:

Quote:
A sorely needed subsidized housing complex for downtown Winnipeggers grappling with drug issues is finally on-track to be opened in fall 2022.

The $8-million Home First Winnipeg project will provide 47 apartments in a three-storey complex at 390 Ross Ave., at Ellen St. in the Centennial neighbourhood.

Half the project's cost will be funded by the Pollard family, which owns the large lottery-ticket firm Pollard Banknote. The federal, provincial and city governements are all helping pay for the construction, set to start this summer and take about a year.

Manitoba will then fund services for residents, by allocating welfare and housing transfers. The building will have 24/7 support staff and communal areas for dining and social activities.

The project, previously dubbed the Ellen Ross House, was approved by the city in 2019 but had been delayed by COVID-19.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 8:39 PM

Sorry for the spamming today but just want to point out that a lot of the new sidewalk trees the city put in this/last year in the Exchange are pink flowering trees and it's beautiful. More please. Not sure what they are, def not lilac but I'm not a tree expert.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 11:36 PM

^assume they must be some type of crab apple. That’s what most of the flowering white and pink trees are in the city this time of year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan