HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet

https://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/i...ept_Design.pdf
I think this review paper quoted every single one of the comments I made in the survey.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 10:10 PM

The library response seem so nicely transparent and aligned to all stakeholders. How exciting! My only sadness is that it’s not attached to the proposed City Centre School that’s not going to happen in the City Centre would have been an incredible collaboration opportunity.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 5:13 PM

Central Library could be an incredible space and community asset if they really do incorporate the communities suggestions...which I think are fantastic!

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:26 PM

A new rendering of the proposed soccer stadium for Saskatoon

https://canpl.ca/article/saskatchewa....facebook.com/

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
A new rendering of the proposed soccer stadium for Saskatoon

https://canpl.ca/article/saskatchewa....facebook.com/
From a Winnipeg Valour fan this is great to see! It'll make a nice road trip up to Saskatoon to visit friends and watch a soccer game.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:07 PM

Good news for Sturdy Stone Centre enthusiasts. I was heading down 4th Avenue today and noticed a work crew with a large lift. It appears that they're pressure washing the façade to remove the unsightly buildup of blackened gunk. It will be great to see that building looking fresher.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Good news for Sturdy Stone Centre enthusiasts. I was heading down 4th Avenue today and noticed a work crew with a large lift. It appears that they're pressure washing the façade to remove the unsightly buildup of blackened gunk. It will be great to see that building looking fresher.
I remember them trying to do that a few years ago and just like failed. God speed

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:42 PM

I think of it as like the Death Star in star wars - the dark musty look of it gives off perfectly negative vibes to downtown haha. I know ministry of social services is maxed for space in that building - fingers crossed they just absorb the old library..

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:28 PM

You can see some of the progress on the east side. It’s not sparkling but I’ll take it.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:52 AM

Giant Tiger announced that they’re expanding across Canada - this was the grocery store I’d go to when I lived downtown Winnipeg so fingers crossed they’re looking at downtown saskatoon! If anyone’s interested in sharing with any dtnyxe reps to maybe spur the conversation, might be a good time to do so as they haven’t confirmed what locations they’re looking at yet…
https://www.narcity.com/giant-tiger-...-300-locations
I don’t think we’d ever see a premium grocer in our downtown with our current demographic, so Giant Tiger is honestly probably the most perfect grocery we could see coming to downtown.

Any insights on best spot for a Giant Tiger or Freshco downtown? My fav location would of course be near the most population dense block ~25th and 5th - maybe Baydo’s retail space could handle one big grocery store?? That would be more useful than their planned coffee shop/subway/restaurant plans!

If that was the case, I’d also love to see a “climate friendly” pedestrian overpass at 25th and 5th - encouraging easier pedestrian cross-ability to our new hundreds of soon to be neighbours on the other side of 25th. This would make carrying groceries back and fourth across 25th (which has a long light) a bit easier as well in winter which is a huge limitation to a downtown pedestrian focused grocer.
Another solution would be to connect all of the underground parkades in the area and start a bit of a tunnel system - this is how my winnipeg downtown condo was set up to the underground food court downtown. Maybe in 50 yrs ha.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Giant Tiger announced that they’re expanding across Canada - this was the grocery store I’d go to when I lived downtown Winnipeg so fingers crossed they’re looking at downtown saskatoon! If anyone’s interested in sharing with any dtnyxe reps to maybe spur the conversation, might be a good time to do so as they haven’t confirmed what locations they’re looking at yet…
https://www.narcity.com/giant-tiger-...-300-locations
I don’t think we’d ever see a premium grocer in our downtown with our current demographic, so Giant Tiger is honestly probably the most perfect grocery we could see coming to downtown.

Any insights on best spot for a Giant Tiger or Freshco downtown? My fav location would of course be near the most population dense block ~25th and 5th - maybe Baydo’s retail space could handle one big grocery store?? That would be more useful than their planned coffee shop/subway/restaurant plans!

If that was the case, I’d also love to see a “climate friendly” pedestrian overpass at 25th and 5th - encouraging easier pedestrian cross-ability to our new hundreds of soon to be neighbours on the other side of 25th. This would make carrying groceries back and fourth across 25th (which has a long light) a bit easier as well in winter which is a huge limitation to a downtown pedestrian focused grocer.
Another solution would be to connect all of the underground parkades in the area and start a bit of a tunnel system - this is how my winnipeg downtown condo was set up to the underground food court downtown. Maybe in 50 yrs ha.

I'd bet save on or sobeys takes the downtown spot. I cant see a discount grocer putting a store in that area ( no frills / freshco , giant tiger )

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The cleanup is still ongoing, but it's already such an improvement! I've never loved the Sturdy Stone (blasphemy, I know), but at least it won't be caked in pigeon shit anymore!

In all seriousness, there are a lot of good things going on downtown. New sidewalks, renovations at the old post office, the removal of parking meter poles, what looks to be repairs on the cenotaph in front of city hall, etc. ----- all of these small things add up.

Last edited by Roquentin; May 14, 2021 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 8:53 PM

I think I need to take a walk through downtown again....been sticking pretty close to my neighborhood of Broadway this whole pandemic. Glad to hear there are some "updates" happening. I really think in "normal times" we have had a very vibrant downtown for a city our size.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 10:25 PM

A major amount of sidewalks are being replaced downtown right now. It’s quite life changing as our street just had pavement as a sidewalk the last decade. Loving it!

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:04 PM

posted on reddit this week

https://www.reddit.com/r/saskatoon/c...katoon_that_i/
found some other pics too

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:47 PM
Registered Geek

Market Corner - 2401 Preston Avenue South

This new little strip mall at the corner of Preston and Louise is coming along quickly with a couple of additional options for the Eastview neighborhood. So far we have...

- 1 Stop Convenience (Open)
- The Medicine Shoppe (Not open)
- Farmer Jane Cannabis Co. (Open)
- The Vault (Vietnamese Restaurant) (Under construction)
- Go Grill (Under construction)

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 9:40 PM

Cool view from the new downtown starbs drive thru which enters through a back alley. cool to envision long term how this alley could be a walk thru straight down to river landing

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:43 PM

https://betakit.com/7shifts-secures-...ment-platform/

This is great news for Saskatoon. Although, unfortunately I would imagine that this company will mostly be working remotely indefinitely. For a "start-up" like this, saving the overhead expenses can go a long way in rapidly progressing their growth. Regardless, it's great to see Saskatoon continue to make an impact in the tech scene. Seems like this company is really going somewhere.

Also...
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...en-potash-mine

This is big and a likely positive development. From the little, admittedly, that I have read, BHP is looking to de-risk its position in this project. Evidently, teaming up with Nutrien helps accomplish their goal. It is also positive to see that Nutrien's new CEO has made positive remarks about a potential partnership.

A partnership likely wouldn't bring the same degree of presence for BHP into the city, but we will take what we can get. I am hopeful this project will proceed; potash growth is set to drastically expand over the coming decades, and I'm sure Nutrien/BHP will want to ensure their stake in the supply.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 11:40 PM

I’ve actually heard that 7S is looking at a floor of River Landing. Seems like 7S and Vendasta will need to keep space since their below market low wage / cheap service business model requires employees that will always need to be babysat in a physical space.

I think the Nutrien/BHP rumour is bad since that means BHP wouldn’t duplicate quite a few corporate jobs. I really think they shouldn’t partner - even if they do their own supply chain might remove the competitiveness of canpotex, which would result in Mosaic/Nutrien hiring all the canpotex employee roles x2

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:16 PM

The concept design for the new downtown library has been released!

https://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/building/concept/

I think it looks fantastic --- an instant landmark for the area, and a centerpiece for future north downtown developments! I love this description in the design report: "At night, the library becomes a warm, glowing lantern — a beacon at the heart of Saskatoon." Very nice!

Last edited by Roquentin; May 31, 2021 at 6:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan