HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
I have I o good authority that this project is ago for the fall. There is delay due to a significant change in structural design.
Welcome and thanks for the information. Is there a significant change in the size, height and layout of the building as well? Has the project been downsized at all?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 9:38 PM

fiveFive

there there discussion about adding 1 floor. Good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Welcome and thanks for the information. Is there a significant change in the size, height and layout of the building as well? Has the project been downsized at all?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 9:43 PM

The Junction/CN lands

I also heard from a reliable source that the Junction will also include the land south of Main St, west of Jonathan Creek. It is a 10 year plan.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:03 AM

Quote:
I also heard from a reliable source that the Junction will also include the land south of Main St, west of Jonathan Creek. It is a 10 year plan.
If you mean the Land Between Rallye Motors Nissan, and Vaughan Harvey Boulevard there have been several different development plans on the table over the years, and there was also the small bit between the Brook, and 1600 Main Street that was supposed to be developed.

I do hope something does happen in the area unfortunately it will not be ti'll all the work to avoid future flooding within the area is finally finished

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
there there discussion about adding 1 floor. Good news!
Welcome to the forums. That's interesting news.......

Any idea if the extra floor is for the hotel or for the condo part of the building?

I'm going to move the discussion to the [FiveFive} thread.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Yes the plan is for Ivan Rand to go from Honda and come out by Shoppers.

Basically anything easy of Johnathan creek is what we know now as the Junction Village. They will be making more of Johnathan Creek above ground rather then underground in a culvert, so this will be a nice change. Basically the big empty parking lot next to Nissan will be available to be developed. Personally I see it as being and extension of the retail area of west main, the grows into some bigger buildings.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 11:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Many people might not think of this being a "downtown" story, but since the school in question falls within the confines of Wheeler Blvd, by default this is the neighbourhood section in which to post this article........

from CBC

Bessborough School in Moncton needs to be replaced, says report
Study shows an upgrade would be around 70 per cent of what a new building would cost
By Philip Drost, CBC News Posted: Oct 21, 2016 2:59 PM AT
Last Updated: Oct 21, 2016 2:59 PM AT

A report on the condition of Bessborough School is raising the possibility of a new replacement school in Moncton's west end.

A midlife assessment of the school during the summer indicated an upgrade would cost roughly 70 per cent of what a new building would cost.

District education council member Norval McConnell said that means the school is unlikely to get an upgrade, so thoughts have turned to the idea of building a new school.

McConnell represents both Bessborough and Hillcrest schools on the district council, which just received the report from the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure this week.

"They wouldn't recommend it for a midlife upgrade, essentially that they wanted the school to be replaced," said McConnell.

"Their rationale with that is they have a criteria that's in place that if it's going to cost above 70 per cent of the replacement cost that they should basically build a new school because the difference is insignificant."

McConnell said they've already been looking at land around the area. The challenge is finding a piece of land big enough.

He said they want to keep the school in the west end, so it remains a west end school. He would also like to see it remain as a school that operates from kindergarten to Grade 8.

full story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ends-1.3815192

On CBC Radio this morning, Norval McConnell was speculating on using vacant land in the old Franklin Yard subdivision, on Millennium Blvd between the CN Sportplex and Centennial Park. There is very little free land available in the new west end for a building project as large as a new school, and the Franklin Yard would be perfect, being central to nearby recreational facilities and not too far from the west end neighbourhoods. The biggest problem with this location would be the fact that walking students would have to cross St George Blvd to get to and from school, but I can't see any options south of St George that could be used. If not the Franklin Yards, the new school might have to be built out on the Salisbury Road, which would only replicate the Moncton High School fiasco.......

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 3:13 AM

Why not create a makeshift school somewhere nearby in all these "For Lease" locations for one school year? At the same time, tear down the current Bessborough school and cookie cut a new school on the same location.

It's a mild 9-10 months inconvenience for teachers/students & parents.

If they move the new school onto the Franklin Yards or anywhere else, what's the re-purpose future for the old school in the middle of a residential subdivison?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 12:26 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Why not create a makeshift school somewhere nearby in all these "For Lease" locations for one school year? At the same time, tear down the current Bessborough school and cookie cut a new school on the same location.

It's a mild 9-10 months inconvenience for teachers/students & parents.

If they move the new school onto the Franklin Yards or anywhere else, what's the re-purpose future for the old school in the middle of a residential subdivison?
What "for lease" location would you think has that much space? Most places with a for lease sign up are for smaller spaces in a building mostly full. The main exception to that statement would be 1222 main but it would be a strange place to hold a k-8 school in an office tower.

Why don't they just build the new school on the same lot as the old school? There is tons of space right there...yes the kids would be without a field and playground for the time being but I think it would be worth it...then tear down the old school and turn that space into field and playground.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 4:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good question.

I'm not in that particular part of town that often, but isn't that what they did when they rebuilt Ecole St. Bernadette? I would certainly think that building a replacement Bessborough on the current school grounds and then tearing down the old school would be an ideal solution. It would mean a couple of years of having no school playground during the construction and demolition phases, but you get to keep the school in the heart of the neighbourhood that it was meant to serve.

I get the impression that part of the issue is that current guidelines require new schools to have a certain amount of surrounding land for sports fields, playgrounds and parking. I imagine the current Bessborough property doesn't have the necessary space to conform to current guidelines.

I don't think this should be a deal breaker. I think that if parents feel that it is more important to maintain Bessborough in the neighbourhood, then the Department of Education should make accommodations to allow for this and let the status quo prevail. We are after all talking about a K-8 school here, not a high school. I don't think the loss of a sports field is that important to a third grader........

OPTIONS:

1) - renovate Bessborough (should seriously be looked at)
2) - rebuild Bessborough on current site (if feasible, probably the preferred option)
3) - relocate Bessborough to the Franklin Yards (acceptable, but probably means more bussed students, and safety issues for walking students crossing St George Blvd)
4) - relocate Bessborough to Salisbury Road (avoid at all costs, think of the Moncton High fiasco)

As far as Hillcrest is concerned, I acknowledge that the school is perfectly located to serve as the neighbourhood school for the old west end, but the current enrolment figures at the school are so low it makes it difficult to justify keeping the school open. I think the time has come to consider combining Hillcrest & Bessborough and build a slightly larger school, preferably on the current Bessborough school property.........

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 11:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Colour for the page:

source: T&T - photo taken today

In another couple of years, the top of FiveFive Queen will be visible in behind city hall, extending towards the Blue Cross Centre, and the new police station will be visible in the foreground to the right of the law courts.

May the downtown core continue to fill in and densify........

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Good question.

I'm not in that particular part of town that often, but isn't that what they did when they rebuilt Ecole St. Bernadette? I would certainly think that building a replacement Bessborough on the current school grounds and then tearing down the old school would be an ideal solution. It would mean a couple of years of having no school playground during the construction and demolition phases, but you get to keep the school in the heart of the neighbourhood that it was meant to serve.

I get the impression that part of the issue is that current guidelines require new schools to have a certain amount of surrounding land for sports fields, playgrounds and parking. I imagine the current Bessborough property doesn't have the necessary space to conform to current guidelines.

I don't think this should be a deal breaker. I think that if parents feel that it is more important to maintain Bessborough in the neighbourhood, then the Department of Education should make accommodations to allow for this and let the status quo prevail. We are after all talking about a K-8 school here, not a high school. I don't think the loss of a sports field is that important to a third grader........

OPTIONS:

1) - renovate Bessborough (should seriously be looked at)
2) - rebuild Bessborough on current site (if feasible, probably the preferred option)
3) - relocate Bessborough to the Franklin Yards (acceptable, but probably means more bussed students, and safety issues for walking students crossing St George Blvd)
4) - relocate Bessborough to Salisbury Road (avoid at all costs, think of the Moncton High fiasco)

As far as Hillcrest is concerned, I acknowledge that the school is perfectly located to serve as the neighbourhood school for the old west end, but the current enrolment figures at the school are so low it makes it difficult to justify keeping the school open. I think the time has come to consider combining Hillcrest & Bessborough and build a slightly larger school, preferably on the current Bessborough school property.........
It is. St Bernadette They kept the school open from the start of construction ti'll they where 100% ready to have student in the new school then took down the old one, and turn that land into there play area, parking, and a proper drop off zone I believe. All things Bessborough seems to be lacking at the moment Same with Hillcrest the shrank there parking to fit a drop off zone.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 3:40 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I can think of a few other options.

The old rec centre behind Bessborough could be bought and torn down to expand the lot. I don't think it's used much at all anymore. It never was when I went to Bessborough at least.

There's a lot of land on the road toward Bernice MacNaughton that isn't part of Centennial Park which could be repurposed.

The existing lot could be reconfigured to better use the space. The drop off lane added a few years ago eats up a huge chunk of the school's field. If a long and narrow school was built adjacent to Milner Road, for example, you could have everything in behind including parking and fields.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 11:54 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I can think of a few other options.

The old rec centre behind Bessborough could be bought and torn down to expand the lot. I don't think it's used much at all anymore. It never was when I went to Bessborough at least.

There's a lot of land on the road toward Bernice MacNaughton that isn't part of Centennial Park which could be repurposed.

The existing lot could be reconfigured to better use the space. The drop off lane added a few years ago eats up a huge chunk of the school's field. If a long and narrow school was built adjacent to Milner Road, for example, you could have everything in behind including parking and fields.
I think that old rec centre is now a "wee college" day care. But the province could likely buy it and/or work with them to provide another plot of land nearby.

Either way there is tons of space there and no need to move the school out of the neighbourhood...we keep talking about making things more walkable and being green and then move all the schools to the fringes of the city...let's try to be smart with this one.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 10:11 PM

I noticed crews doing what seemed to be soil testing on Robinson and lutz street tonight. It had all been marked off in the past few days. Would this be done for street upgrades? Just confused on the soil testing unless that actually isn't what it is.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 3:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC:

Ontario-based writer says Moncton food scene worth exploring
Bert Archer was impressed with Moncton mainstays like the Tide and Boar and Manuka
CBC News Posted: Oct 29, 2016 1:00 PM AT
Last Updated: Oct 29, 2016 1:00 PM AT

A Toronto-based travel and food writer has high praise for Moncton's eatery scene. Citing the walk ability of the downtown core to the local ingredient selection of some restaurants.

Bert Archer was impressed with Moncton mainstays like the Tide and Boar Gastropub, Manuka Cuisine Instinctive and the Laundromat Espresso Bar. But he was most impressed with the food shift to something more unique.

"I think it's a scene that is very much relying on local ingredients," said Archer. "It's one that sort of, just in my mind, now [comes] with the idea of straying away from app comfort foods, the tried-and-true comfort foods like pizza and burgers thing. It's coming up with very new, very good food."

full story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cene-1.3820680

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:00 PM

Construction fencing is up at Five Five Queen.

I suppose I could have put this under the Five Five Thread.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The proposal is for a commercial/retail development to be called the Saint George Arches.

It appears this is going ahead. Workers started opening up the corridor this week.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:35 PM

Demolition at the old Co-op on Record street has begun. Still no word on what might be going up in that lot - anyone else heard?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastcountrygirl View Post
Demolition at the old Co-op on Record street has begun. Still no word on what might be going up in that lot - anyone else heard?
I always thought it was just going to be more parking. But I'm hopeful it may actually be a building..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces