HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 1:22 PM

There is a construction trailer on site. Looks like this will start soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here is the site plan for the Sobeys development on Elmwood, showing where the mini strip mall and the standalone drive thru restaurant (purported A&W) will be going;

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 11:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
There is a construction trailer on site. Looks like this will start soon
Further confirmation that construction is imminent - PetValu has announced they are opening in the new plaza in the "winter of 2022", so they must be planning on starting construction immediately.

PetValu joins A&W as announced new tenants in the expanded Sobeys retail development.

PetValu is carpet bombing southeastern NB right now. This will be their third new store in the southeast this year (Shediac and Riverview being the others).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:20 PM
Random Contributor

Current status of the K-8 school under construction on McLaughlin off Leopold Belliveau.

The lights on inside.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This school is so humongous that you would need several photos to do it justice.

Aerial photo from last fall.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 2:47 PM

I don’t think this is a new building, but Lion Electric seems to have opened a location in Caledonia Industrial. They build electric buses and trucks.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:54 PM

Land is being cleared in the Caledonia Industrial Park directly across from IGT on Urquhart Ave. No signage, so maybe they're just trying to make it easier to sell.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is now an impressively tall portable tower crane on site at the Shannex Faubourg du Mascaret on Morton.

This is only block away from a similar portable tower crane at 80 Morton Avenue by Emmanuel Baptist Church. It makes Morton look like a happening place!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Structural collapse at the Faubourg du Mascaret construction site this morning. Five construction workers injured, and transported to hospital.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Structural collapse at the Faubourg du Mascaret construction site this morning. Five construction workers injured, and transported to hospital.
They were pouring the 2nd floor.. partial collapse (40 ft X 40ft) workers were on 2nd floor and fell to ground below.

They are mostly ok from what I understand.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Render of the new Atlantic Carrier Building under construction on Frenette Ave in the Caledonia Industrial Park:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 12:55 PM

Interesting article from Huddle today
Granite Centre On Track To Become 'The Dartmouth Crossing Of New Brunswick'

Quote:
Construction is underway for a new, 6,000-square-foot building at the southeast corner of the site near Elbow Drive, and negotiations are in the works for a 4,500-square-foot, sit-down restaurant at the southeast end of the property.
Quote:
The developers are also in negotiations with two retail tenants looking for a 40,000-square-foot berth each at the Granite Centre.

Hennessey couldn’t release any names but noted each new business, if they sign leases, would require new construction located on the north side of Granite Drive. With those built, the plaza would include 12 separate buildings.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Drone shot of the Ideal Roofing manufacturing plant currently under construction in the Caledonia Industrial Park.

Another huge building under construction (like the WalMart Distribution Centre). The Caledonia Industrial Park is having a banner year!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Digging has started on the future development/minimall spot.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
It seems that work has started again , walls are being installed on the 2 floor.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbilly View Post
It seems that work has started again , walls are being installed on the 2 floor.
"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a retirement home on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up! And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest retirement home in all of Moncton!"

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a retirement home on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up! And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest retirement home in all of Moncton!"
I thought the fourth got transported back in time to 1812 where the Director and the home helped broker a peace between the Yankees and the Brits?

The fifth one is still holding strong.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Brilliant

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 1:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This pre-approved project on McLaughlin is in the initial site prep phase, but has been listed by the developer as being "for sale" for $1.9M (including all architectural and engineering drawings and plans).

T&T photo

According to the article, this is because of current economic uncertainty, inflation and rising interest rates. Apparently the cost per unit on a project like this is about $300k, meaning that at a rental rate of less than $2000/month, the project becomes untenable. Rental rates like this can not be supported at the present time in Moncton.

The article states that we may see more approved construction projects around the city be abandoned until market conditions improve.

Any developer with cash flow uncertainty (probably most of them) is at risk.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/101931413 (paywall)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A&W (previously a strong rumour) is now confirmed for the Sobeys Plaza on Elmwood Drive.

This is mentioned on the Crombie REIT website for this plaza.
https://www.crombie.ca/property/553-elmwood-drive/

Quote:
A&W will join Elmwood Drive later this year in a separate pad site.

Latest site plan

You can also see which CRU in the plaza that PetValu will occupy.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton city council this evening approved two new residential developments for Elmwood Drive north of the TCH that would require extension of the municipal service boundary.

The largest of these developments will be called Eastgate, and will be located across from the Irishtown Nature Park, and immediately south of the Pine Tree mini home subdivision.

Eastgate will include:
- 181 single family homes
- 36 townhomes/rowhomes, totalling 183 units
- 10 apartment buildings totalling 592 units
- private school, daycare, "nature market", commercial space and nature trails.
- a total of 10 new public roads and streets.

A smaller residential development just north of the Granite Centre was also approved. This will contain a mix of single family homes, duplexes and townhomes.

Between these two developments, this will be over 1000 new housing units which will no doubt add to the stress Elmwood Drive is already experiencing due to expanding commercial development, including the Granite Centre. The traffic on Elmwood is already just as bad (if not worse) than on Mountain Road. I expect further deterioration in the situation in the future.

On the brighter side, at least Moncton High School will be getting more and more walking students.

Public presentations will be made in September. As such, documents should be available for review very soon. I will post again once these are up on the City of Moncton website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces