HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 12:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I know this is off topic, but I could not figure out where to place it. The Moncton Flyers under 18 Hockey team won their semi-final game in the Cdn Midget under 18 championships. They play for the Cdn Championship on TSN 3/4 at 10:30 OR 11 pm tonight. I watched them as a kid, I really hope they win.
Good for them.

Bad timing for their game though. Doesn't this mean they will be playing at the same time as game #3 of the Calgary/Edmonton series???

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good for them.

Bad timing for their game though. Doesn't this mean they will be playing at the same time as game #3 of the Calgary/Edmonton series???
Yes, I believe the Battle of Alberta is on at the same time. My remote will be busy.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 10:53 AM

Moncton did win the national Championship in OT. 5-4

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 10:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

After giving up two goals in the final minutes of the third period. It was pretty scary.

Congratulations to the Flyers!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 4:32 PM

City of Moncton and City of Charlottetown to Host Soccer Matches Between Sunderland AFC U23 and CF Montréal U23. The game in Moncton is August 5th

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/media/2...NuuYix7ycxShqo

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 8:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

These properties are proposed to receive heritage conservation designations bt the city of Moncton:

1. 27 Hillcrest Drive
The residence is a rare example of French Norman-inspired two-storey residential architecture designed and constructed by Frederick M. Lichtenberg in 1939. It is also significant for its association with the architect and prominent occupants.

2. 51 Highfield Street
The Former Moncton and Regional Public Library is recognized as an excellent example of institutional architecture from the Modern Movement in Moncton during the 1960s. It is also recognized for its association with the growth of the library system in Moncton.

3. 52 Donald Avenue
This is a well-preserved example of Craftsman residential architecture with Tudor Revival influences. The residence was constructed in 1919 by R.C. Donald, an influential developer in the history of the Town of Sunny Brae, now part of the City of Moncton.

4. 56 Steadman Street
The Tiferes Israel Synagogue is recognized for its architecture and significance to the Jewish community in Moncton. The design of the Synagogue was influenced by the Gothic Revival architectural style. As the first and only synagogue in Moncton, its importance to the Jewish community is significant, as is its location.

5. 100 West Street
The former Prince Edward School is recognized for its Neo-Classical architecture and impact on education in the City of Moncton. The formal, shallow entrance portico exhibits classic elements in sandstone, including a prominent pediment supported by an entablature and pilasters. Built in 1927, the building is also significant for its association with the City of Moncton’s educational history.

6. 204-206 Cameron Street
The R.N. Wyse Residence is recognized for its architectural, associative, and contextual value. Built in 1915, it reflects the prevalent early twentieth century trend in residential design that saw the combination of several architectural influences expressed in one structure, in this case the Queen Anne Revival, Greek Revival, Craftsman, and Four- Square styles. It is also significant for its association with several prominent Moncton businesspeople.

7. 224 Cameron Street
The Berry Residence is recognized for its architectural, associative and contextual value. Built in 1919, the residence is a good example of early twentieth century Craftsman residential architecture with Queen Anne Revival details. It is associated with Abram L. Berry, a farmer, carpenter and insurance salesman, who built this home with his sons. The resultant design is consistent with the grand architecture of other Craftsmanstyle structures built bordering Victoria Park during the same era.

8. 213 Bonaccord Street
The White Fathers African Mission building is recognized for its Gothic Revival architecture and association with its various occupants. It was built as a residence for William Powell, a surveyor for the Intercolonial Railway, circa 1889. The White Fathers used this location as a residence and as a Moncton headquarter for 50 years while educating and converting in the Middle East, Northern African and Central African regions.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 12:52 PM

Would anybody have any idea as to how many cranes are up in the greater Moncton area?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 1:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Would anybody have any idea as to how many cranes are up in the greater Moncton area?
Just off the top of my head, I think we have seven full fledged tower cranes currently operating in the city.

As for the "mini" tower cranes - oodles. Probably another 10 at least.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Just off the top of my head, I think we have seven full fledged tower cranes currently operating in the city.

As for the "mini" tower cranes - oodles. Probably another 10 at least.
Thanks for the answer. Somebody was talking about this on the weekend and it was a difficult number to come up with!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 12:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is quite literally the only item on the July agenda for the Moncton PAC:

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...a_870_Ryan.pdf

Somebody wants to dump fill on the lot at the SE corner of the Ryan/Amiens intersection in NW Moncton.

To have this as the only item on the agenda is downright embarrassing! Construction in Moncton is busier than ever, but all that is happening is a catch-up on previously approved projects from the last couple of years. Nothing new is coming forward for approval.

There are lots of rumours out there of land assembly occurring for big projects, and for grand plans for numerous mid to high rise buildings to be built in the downtown, but nothing is coming forward for approval.

Town planning is probably aware of all this, but one has to wonder what the bottleneck is. Is it supply chain issues? Labour shortages? Inflation? Rising interest rates???

What gives?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:11 PM

Not everything needs to go before PAC though, right?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Not everything needs to go before PAC though, right?
True. It only goes to PAC if a variance is required.

That being said though, there are usually variances with larger projects (jogs, setbacks, number of entrances or windows etc). It is rare for a large project to fly completely under the radar.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
True. It only goes to PAC if a variance is required.

That being said though, there are usually variances with larger projects (jogs, setbacks, number of entrances or windows etc). It is rare for a large project to fly completely under the radar.
Dieppe seems to be a spot where they go under the radar very often. Though you are correct, it’s very rare that they do in Moncton, it’s been a very quiet few months, but I wonder if rising interest rates have something to do with it and inflation? I assume we will see stuff in August, there may be a lull because of the current amount of ongoing projects.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:11 AM

Quote:
This is quite literally the only item on the July agenda for the Moncton PAC:

There are lots of rumours out there of land assembly occurring for big projects, and for grand plans for numerous mid to high rise buildings to be built in the downtown, but nothing is coming forward for approval.

Town planning is probably aware of all this, but one has to wonder what the bottleneck is. Is it supply chain issues? Labour shortages? Inflation? Rising interest rates???

What gives?
Every city department from public works, mechanical, planning, fire, and engineering are all short staff and/or understaffed. The city has been rapidly growing over the years but extra positions to keep up with services are not increasing. I'm told there are stacks of proposals waiting for approvals with no one to look at them unfortunately...including projects that are very very significant. Even skyline changing.

Last edited by C_Boy; Jul 15, 2022 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
Every city department from public works, mechanical, planning, fire, and engineering are all short staff and/or understaffed. The city has been rapidly growing over the years but extra positions to keep up with services are not increasing. There are stacks of proposals waiting for approvals with no one to look at them unfortunately...
This makes sense, it seems everywhere is experiencing the same issues.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
Every city department from public works, mechanical, planning, fire, and engineering are all short staff and/or understaffed. The city has been rapidly growing over the years but extra positions to keep up with services are not increasing. I'm told there are stacks of proposals waiting for approvals with no one to look at them unfortunately...including projects that are very very significant. Even skyline changing.
Very interesting. This jives with intelligence I have received that there are multiple proposals for mid to high rise buildings in central Moncton, more than ever seen before.

So, the choke point is in the city planning department. This explains why the PAC agendas recently have been so sparse. City planning receives the proposals, and performs an initial evaluation to determine if they are compliant, or if variances are necessary. When variances are required (usually yes for significant projects), then they are sent to PAC, and this is when these proposals become public.

This delay is extremely frustrating. It is slowing down development in the city, and, is also increasing the costs of these projects for the developers (inflation, worsening supply chain issues, rising interest rates). I would not be surprised if some projects are not just abandoned due to these delays.

I wonder if there could not be a change instituted in the process so that the most significant projects are prioritized for the overworked staff in the city planning department to attend to first. We use triage all the time in our hospitals. Maybe city planning should too...........

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Meanwhile, not all is doom and gloom. The T&T is reporting that $220M in building permits have been issued in the city for the first six months of this year.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/101920286 (paywall)

If this continues for the remainder of this year, and, if you also factor in Dieppe and Riverview, the CMA will see over $500M, and, perhaps over $600M in construction this year.

Construction of new Codiac Regional RCMP headquarters (T&T photo(

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:52 PM

I work in conjunction with the Moncton, Dieppe, and regional development offices and they are very much understaffed. I dont know for sure but I would guesstimate the Moncton development department is no more than 6-8 people. Dieppe may have less than 5, and the regional offices 1-2 employees.
To think the cities make money for every permit, variance, and right of way they process. I would think if there are jobs on the table it would be in their best interest to hire more permitting officers.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Ranking of the best "small" cities in Canada. Both Moncton and Freddy make the list.

https://www.bestcities.org/rankings/...-small-cities/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamOfpumpkin View Post
I work in conjunction with the Moncton, Dieppe, and regional development offices and they are very much understaffed. I dont know for sure but I would guesstimate the Moncton development department is no more than 6-8 people. Dieppe may have less than 5, and the regional offices 1-2 employees.
To think the cities make money for every permit, variance, and right of way they process. I would think if there are jobs on the table it would be in their best interest to hire more permitting officers.
We should let the city know that this forum could be a group member

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces