HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:53 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
As we see time and time again, the NIMBY bullshit ultimately leads to the building being demolished.
That ship had already sailed — as the new design doesn’t propose to retain the Painted Bride — when Common Pleas Judge Anne Marie B. Coyle threw out the previously granted variances last year. The good news is that the judge is up for retention in this November’s general election. Remember that name when you vote. Judicial retention elections have consequences. Common Pleas judge terms are 10 years, so there won’t be another opportunity to kick her to the curb until 2033.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
As we see time and time again, the NIMBY bullshit ultimately leads to the building being demolished.
These neighbors must be some really bitchy people.
What is the big deal about this project?...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:18 PM

Unpopular opinion but I’m not a fan of Pained Bride. Not my taste but I guess some people like it. At the end of the day, it’s mural that was tacked onto a pretty unimpressive warehouse building. Salvage what you can; install it in a gallery or somewhere else. I’m an ardent preservationist but this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Unpopular opinion but I’m not a fan of Pained Bride. Not my taste but I guess some people like it. At the end of the day, it’s mural that was tacked onto a pretty unimpressive warehouse building. Salvage what you can; install it in a gallery or somewhere else. I’m an ardent preservationist but this is getting pretty ridiculous.
Well, the neighbors already killed the initial proposal that would have preserved the mural. So...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It's only ridiculous because of the neighbors... The original project plan would be complete by now if it weren't for the incessant complaints from a small group of people.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:03 PM

RCO's have way too much power in Philly. I cant think of another large city where so few people have such an oversized say in the city's growth. Most neighborhoods would kill for this type of repurpose and amenities.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
This is not an attack, so please don't take it as such, but I have to confess I'm mystified by people not understanding Gauthier. Someone labeled her as corrupt in another thread because she opposes development in her district. That's just a fundamental misunderstanding of who she is. She's been abundantly clear that she doesn't believe in a pro business agenda. She considers it suspect. Most lefty progressives do. They just think it's the upper classes and corporate America hoarding cash while the working class starves. They are generally not for tax cuts and they actually desire to raise taxes on certain groups to fund more services that they see as vital in order to achieve social equity.

It's really just that simple.
except for the fact the she (like Gym) never acknowledges that smaller businesses pay these taxes. I read one of her quotes on the budget compromise and she essentially said this is a giveaway to rich mega corporations- even though there are very few operating in Philly.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:59 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
North Broad Light Poles for all the streets!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:33 PM

How about directing some money towards Fairmount Park refurbishment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Good idea. I'd love to see that become a signature investment from the next administration. Because the money has an expiration date it will be hard to apply the COVID money to any long term initiatives though.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
except for the fact the she (like Gym) never acknowledges that smaller businesses pay these taxes. I read one of her quotes on the budget compromise and she essentially said this is a giveaway to rich mega corporations- even though there are very few operating in Philly.
That's how much of the lefty left seems to think, and I'm not sure they draw much distinction between smaller businesses and large ones; they tend to be focused on the immediate needs of the working class and believe heavily in expansive government intervention. I would personally argue that they miss the forest for the trees. Honestly, in my experience, much of it is lazy assumption. For example, I've had to explain how the tax abatement worked to people, because they just assumed it went directly into developers' pockets.

Now, should Gauthier & Gym know better? Sure (and I'm sure on some substantial level they do), but they're also representing the thinking of their base. I believe they really do sincerely believe in government as a potential tool to eradicate poverty, and that they don't think you accomplish that with a capitalist pro-business agenda, and they push back against development and stuff like that because they don't think it's for their constituents, who are going to be left out. I'm not sure that they're actually wrong on that front, btw, I just doubt that eradicating poverty is truly an accomplishable goal and I don't think you help the working class by narrowly dedicating all of your policy towards meeting their needs on the back end.

I apologize if I'm belaboring the point, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's counterproductive to assume the worst about others with different policy goals than us. I don't think we can have a constructive dialogue if we are unwilling to debate each other without assuming corruption.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
That would be amazing, they do already have a master plan that includes an expanded arboretum around the horticultural building.

Also curious what's going on with the parkway plan. Walked by yesterday and noticed nothing is happening with the Calder museum.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
That would be amazing, they do already have a master plan that includes an expanded arboretum around the horticultural building.

Also curious what's going on with the parkway plan. Walked by yesterday and noticed nothing is happening with the Calder museum.
I recall reading in the Logan Square Neighborhood Association meeting minutes that the Parkway redesign project is quite a bit behind schedule. I’ll ask about that at the meeting on Tuesday.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 3:45 PM
Chris

Quote:

Now, should Gauthier & Gym know better? Sure (and I'm sure on some substantial level they do), but they're also representing the thinking of their base. I believe they really do sincerely believe in government as a potential tool to eradicate poverty, and that they don't think you accomplish that with a capitalist pro-business agenda, and they push back against development and stuff like that because they don't think it's for their constituents, who are going to be left out. I'm not sure that they're actually wrong on that front, btw, I just doubt that eradicating poverty is truly an accomplishable goal and I don't think you help the working class by narrowly dedicating all of your policy towards meeting their needs on the back end.
One last point on the bold... It was proven in the recent primary election that Gym's base is largely white and affluent, not poor any minority. Ironic to say the least...

Whereas Cherelle Parker ran on tough on crime, pro-tax cuts, and a neutral stance on development and she carried the primary in areas outside of Center City and Fishtown.

I still find it peculiar that Gauthier, Brooks, and Gym view tiny reductions in the Wage and BIRT taxes as corporate giveaways (maybe political grandstanding?), when these taxes are proven burdens on the small business community in Philadelphia. Of course the city needs to maintain tax revenue, but a lesser reliance on these taxes is a win for everyone.

And to your earlier point, I'm not surprised they are against tax cuts, but lost at their logic.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
One last point on the bold... It was proven in the recent primary election that Gym's base is largely white and affluent, not poor any minority. Ironic to say the least...
Agreed. There is a segment of educated relatively affluent very left white folks that prioritize social justice and being good allies, and in doing so strongly advocate what is in my opinion bad policy. This is Gym's and largely Gauthier's base of support. But it doesn't come from a place of corruption, it's earnest if misguided.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 9:26 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:

I apologize if I'm belaboring the point, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's counterproductive to assume the worst about others with different policy goals than us. I don't think we can have a constructive dialogue if we are unwilling to debate each other without assuming corruption.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:24 AM

Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology and the Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research, is shaping up to be the most interesting building on the Penn campus since the award winning, Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:56 PM

'America's flagship' under threat of eviction in Philly. But its owners have big plans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...ns/ar-AA1cqLaB

I'm actually a member of the conservatory. If the ship does have a future, it's not in Philly.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:24 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
'America's flagship' under threat of eviction in Philly. But its owners have big plans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...ns/ar-AA1cqLaB

I'm actually a member of the conservatory. If the ship does have a future, it's not in Philly.
With all the development along NYs West Side, I'm surprised nobody has snatched this up.
A jewel in the crown, so-to-speak.
It would be an amazing attraction.
I never thought it would fit in Philly.
It's home is NY

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:25 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Vagelos Institute for Energy Science and Technology and the Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research, is shaping up to be the most interesting building on the Penn campus since the award winning, Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology.

reminds me a bit of US Embassy in London
London Embassy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development