HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:09 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
On my way home tonight, I noticed that Phillips Law had a parapet sign on the top of the midrise on the NEC of Central and Earll. I guess that means they have signed a significant lease. Not sure where they are coming from, but more mid-town space absorbed.
It looks like they've been there for a while but renewed in 2020 according to Google and CompStak, not that I have an account there yet.

Probably just makes sense for a consumer-focused personal-injury company to be advertising in a public transit corridor. Good stuff tho, I always like these kinds of signs--gives character to the area, dolls up these blandish high rises, and makes it look like Phoenix has further grown up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:33 AM

Reports: Taiwan Semiconductor's Phoenix plant likely three times larger than originally announced

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Mar 2, 2021

Quote:
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.’s planned Phoenix manufacturing plant will likely be three times larger than was originally announced.

The cost to build the manufacturing facility is likely to be closer to $35 billion, nearly triple the $12 billion first announced, according to sources with knowledge of the deal and Asian media reports. Media reports describe the Arizona plant as a "mega site" that would include six factories.
More...https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:38 PM

Wow. This is amazing.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:54 PM

I also read on a separate PHX Biz journal article it is currently the largest capital investment project in the entire COUNTRY! Putting Phoenix on the Map for hopefully more large scale projects. The third largest is a Nacero plant in Casa Grande.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:27 PM

As a resident in North Phoenix (within about 5 miles) of this new Taiwan semi-conductor plant, I wonder what this project is going to mean for the area. I'm talking housing, housing prices, culture, the environment, even the weather. For example, how did the south Chandler area change in the semi-close area to the Intel plant in Chandler?

I think I have a good idea on most of it, good & bad. I'm not complaining, just kind of concerned (in a good way for the most part, except if the plant creates a huge urban bubble and heat island and summer storms can't drop down from the north anymore).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
As a resident in North Phoenix (within about 5 miles) of this new Taiwan semi-conductor plant, I wonder what this project is going to mean for the area. I'm talking housing, housing prices, culture, the environment, even the weather. For example, how did the south Chandler area change in the semi-close area to the Intel plant in Chandler?

I think I have a good idea on most of it, good & bad. I'm not complaining, just kind of concerned (in a good way for the most part, except if the plant creates a huge urban bubble and heat island and summer storms can't drop down from the north anymore).
Seems like the area in Chandler around the plant is highly desirable and household incomes are pretty high. I don’t think it has a big impact on the weather yet - I can’t imagine it would any more so than the Deer Valley area already does.

Its going to push housing prices up in North Gateway and into north Peoria as well. Development will push closer and closer to Lake Pleasant. Hell, there’s already a builder putting up sub $200k homes out in Morristown at the end of SR-74 by US-60 30 minutes away from here.

Whether or not you view this as positive is up to you - I think in general it certainly beats what city of PHX originally wanted to put there - a cargo only airport.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:25 PM
Skyriser

This will be a six-phase program supposedly and the first $12 billion won't be spent for the next several years so speculation becomes an academic exercise. Fire up your google translate:

https://udn.com/news/story/7240/5284669

I grew up in Chandler in the 80s and 90s in the shadow of Intel and Motorola. Generally speaking, there's very little downside to this whole thing except a generational over-investiture. Intel is years behind TSMC in semiconductor manufacturing capacity and semiconductor plants just don't last. They're infill sites when they get redeveloped and not brownfields--I believe the only waste product from Intel on Chandler Blvd was basically purified water.

TSMC should be a clean plant, but as far as its petrochemical suppliers, who knows. I have expressed reservations about traditionally dirty industries located in North Phoenix but I presume site-selection teams will probably put them in Casa Grande or the West and East Valleys by rail access where feedstocks are ample.

What strikes me as odd about this is TSMC is hiring and internally sourcing up to 1,000 engineers (this means almost everything these days) to staff the plant in the immediate phase. I have this book in my small Phoenix library and it goes into a bit of the relationship Phoenix had with Taiwan back then. In retrospect, this could have been anticipated, but who knows.

So rather than just being a manufacturing center like I had anticipated, TSMC also wants this to be a design center. A lot of that depends on their ability to attract engineers from elsewhere, and I think Northern California could come through. Silicon Valley is a design center with I don't think any actual fabs anymore so that labor supply is there. I don't think there will be any cultural impact beyond a slight uptick in dim sum places tbqh.

The question of how did Chandler, etc change with Intel is hard to answer because Intel built on the far reaches of the city when almost nothing was there.

What did happen was that there was a "there" there--rather than being something like a purposeless, middle-rate generic sprawl district like Superstition Springs or wherever else that developed around the same time, an actual job and employment center happened instead. Part of this is an accident of geography--there would always be more East Mesa but not so much South Chandler/Tempe. The land values have always done better in the latter and I expect this to be duplicated in the TSMC site.

Finally, as for direct environmental effects--TSMC does not typically sprawl. The above link has a massively dense industrial complex like their suppliers. But it makes no sense to speculate without things like lot coverages and tree & shade master plans because none of the zoning documents mean anything right now to my knowledge. When a site plan is submitted is the time to think about that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:31 PM

/\ interesting commentary Combusean... thanks.

I also hope the "dirty" industries aren't located in North Phoenix.

There's plenty of land up there, the north gateway area has big plans, it's all going to look insanely different in 10 years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:24 AM

Anyone know if Mitsubishi Chemical has been in the Valley for a while? Just saw a job posting for engineers/engineering leadership at a Mesa location. Wondering if this is one of the TSMC suppliers, something totally new or just an expansion of something existing...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:05 PM

The below article by Monica Garcia at Arizona's Family (It's back to the office for City of Phoenix workers) published yesterday is exciting. 15,000 people will be back to the office in phases at the City Hall building downtown. As more and more businesses do this, hopefully downtown starts livening up a bit during the day. I've noticed that weekends are already noticeably more busy.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...dd5478766.html

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
The below article by Monica Garcia at Arizona's Family (It's back to the office for City of Phoenix workers) published yesterday is exciting. 15,000 people will be back to the office in phases at the City Hall building downtown. As more and more businesses do this, hopefully downtown starts livening up a bit during the day. I've noticed that weekends are already noticeably more busy.

Good! We've sadly lost too many businesses downtime and I'm concerned for the ones that have survived thus far. Roosevelt on the other hand seems to be doing well despite the pandemic.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post

Offices coming back, sports coming back and lots of apartment units completed and close to completion.

Things are going to start seeming downright crowded

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:35 PM
self-important urbanista

I've been back at my office since September, and I've definitely noticed less of a ghost town feeling in the downtown business district over the past few weeks. It'll be nice to see the city employees added to the mix. Some businesses have failed, but others have gone ahead and opened during the last year. Employees who have been away for an entire year may be interested to see new places like Dog Haus and Blanco that have opened recently.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:54 PM

So I’m curious. Do 15,000 people work at the city hall building? Or is that the amount that might work at other buildings across the city or around downtown? Sounds like 3,000 will be there by the end of March, either way good news!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:44 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
So I’m curious. Do 15,000 people work at the city hall building? Or is that the amount that might work at other buildings across the city or around downtown? Sounds like 3,000 will be there by the end of March, either way good news!
I think that's the total city workforce. That would include employees at libraries, rec centers, fire houses, etc. all over the city. I'm sure a significant number work in city hall, the municipal courthouse, and other downtown buildings, but probably nowhere near 15,000.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:48 PM

I drove to avondale yesterday and all the freeways were parking lots. People are going back to work all over the place.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I drove to avondale yesterday and all the freeways were parking lots. People are going back to work all over the place.
Traffic this last couple of weeks has been the worst its been in a year.

Or shall I say back to normal.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Luckily I won't have to deal with that daily anymore. My company is planning to use our old office space as a co-working and project space.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:17 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I have been noting the uptick in traffic too. I wonder how much of it is actually snowbird/Cactus League related traffic? I have seen quite a bit of out of state plates. I guess we'll find out how much of it stays once everyone leaves town again.

Gotta say though, it was damn nice driving the freeways for a while there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:36 AM

I remember Sky Harbor saying in years past March is their busiest month due to Spring Training, Spring Break and our great weather. With teams only selling limited tickets, I would be interested in knowing how much the numbers are down this year.

I saw a Sky Harbor press release about a month ago that said passenger traffic was down 53% last year, but cargo traffic was at a record level up 10% over the previous year. I know this isn't the right thread, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about SkyBridge at Gateway. I Googled it the other day, but came up with nothing new.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest